Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you plan on tracking a car, the C7 Z06 is not the one for you. I personally know more than one owner who cannot get more than four or five laps without going into limp mode, despite several modifications made to attempt to fix the overheating problem. The only successful fix I'm aware of is provided by either Hennessey or Callaway (forget which), where they replace the supercharger with the larger C6 ZR1 supercharger. I seem to recall that fix costs in the neighborhood of $15k-20k. If other forum members have found another solution, I'd like to hear it.
Did you say the ZO6 heating issue was solved with a bigger supercharger???? I do not track my manual Z07 but the heating issue is real in hot weather on the street.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a Z07 manual. Dark grey with lipstick red interior interior. I read Myliobatis's answer. I am in general agreement. I bought my 2018 in September 2019. The serial number is 00002. It was built in March of 2017 as a 2018. It was delivered to a GM exec originally. I am the third owner. 60mph in 1st, 90mph in 2nd, 120 in 3rd, still looking for time and place to test the others. As you can tell the gears in my Z are tall. 7 is a true overdrive. At 90 mph I am still only pulling 1900 or so revs. My 2011 CTS V 6-speed was geared much differently.

1st and second both are stiff if standing still. I am not sure why, but they need some extra attention to prevent the occasional grinding. Otherwise, gears are nicely spaced and the transmission tracks effortlessly. 7th gear is much like reverse. Both very deliberate gear changes.

This car is a beast. I tracked a 500 hp Z. I loved it. However I can break the rear tires loose at 80 mph in 3rd gear with my Z07 just by mashing the throttle. The nanny will catch a straight line wiggle, but if you are in a corner and hit it a little hard you may be in the weeds unless you are very experienced. I am not. I doubt I will ever track it. I have fully respected it from Day 1. In fact, I don't like admitting this but this car scared the hell out of me for about two months. Then I realized my testosterone levels were improving, so now I love it.

I'm thinking of getting with my buddy and buy one of those 500 hp models and stick it on the track.

I have an extended warranty. It has paid off. These are expensive to work on. My problems have been minor. All brake wear sensors have been replaced successfully so far. Two front cameras went bad. I have a copy of the warranty work on the car to the date that I bought it. The stuff was minor. Electronics scare the hell out of me on these newer cars.

My V went 208,000 trouble free miles. I sold it because the supercharger was an unknown risk to me. I have no experience with mileage and superchargers. I will say I redlined it all the way to the day I sold it. I loved that car.

I have experienced zero oil consumption. I find it interesting how the oil level is checked in this dry sump.

I had problems keeping my wheels round. After the second and third one went south, I bought some Forgeline forged wheels. So far pi are round. I was thinking I had donuts on there for awhile. This is a street car stored in a garage. I drive it as such and hate washing the damn thing. It takes forever.

I would be happy to speak to you by telephone to help with the other questions. My
typing keyboarding is not what it once was.

·
Registered
12 Posts
"...but if you are in a corner and hit it a little hard you may be in the weeds unless you are very experienced."
Correction--if you hit it a little hard, you WILL be in the weeds. I know this from personal experience on more than one track.

My first experience with this was years ago at Bondurant, running the slalom course on the skid pad with a C6Z6. After a couple of runs I decided to experiment with flooring it coming around the last cone. When I did, the car immediately snapped a 180, this with all the nanny controls turned on. My instructor drove over, rolled down his window, and asked 'What was that all about?" I sheepishly said that I wanted to see what would happen if I floored it. He grinned and replied, "Now you know!"

Now when I'm instructing a student with a Z car (or any seriously high hp car) the first thing I teach them is judicious application of throttle on turn exit, using my Bondurant experience as the example.

John
Principal Engineer,
Space Launch System (SLS) Rocket
Thank you for the lesson on the supercharger. That was very enlightening. The bump explanation makes sense, if only because that is a vintage GM engineering solution. What is frustrating is they always know the consequences and do it anyway.

As to the weeds, I was just trying to be nice. I can say I have done everything but end up in the weeds. However, I have gone through the weeds more than once, not necessarily in a straight line.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts