Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking to begin my searching for a 2001 model Z06 finally. Looking to plan on purchasing around July. So time to look em up

Now, I did notice something when researching, is this correct?

2001 model: 385hp 385tq
2002+ model: 405hp 400tq

So the 02 is the better performer of the 2? I keep hearing that 01 was the best year for them. I planned on getting a 2001 model, I'm sure the hp difference can't be that much in reality on the street or track. Just curious what the difference in the 2 years was really and what was updated and changed. Nothing significant seems to have been changed besides the slight power increase I guess. I also want a 2001 because I am really trying to find a Speedway White Z06.

Any info on this would be helpful, thanks so much guys!

-Chris

·
Registered
86 Posts
You've come to the right place if you want to know all of the differences between the 01's and 02's.

I'd advise you to look for a lower mileage 02. The cost difference won't be that much (a couple thousand, I'd guess).

I'll leave the explanation of the 01 issues to one of the many resident Z06 experts on this forum. It's amazing how much you can learn on this site.

·
Registered
308 Posts
You want a white one you will have to go with the 01.
The 01 had issues with oil consumption that the dealer was supposed to fix if it existed.
The 02 does in fact have the higher rated engine. 20 horses is 20 horses and the torque counts also.
The 04 is the best of the bunch but may cost more then you want to spend.
Good luck and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really love the white, but the 02 seems the better choice...I would go for electron blue/black as well probably. Actually when it comes down to it, I don't care what color it comes in I just want a damn Z06 haha

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
If you do a search on Z06 differences, you will look at approximately 100 threads that will tell you.

I had an 01 which I really liked, but it had oil consumption and clutch probs. My 02 didn't have the oil consumption probs, but I went through three clutches in two years. The 02 was faster.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Here are some/most of the differences

differences between 2001 & 2002 & up:
1. The LS6 engine standard in the Z06 increased from 385 to 405 horsepower. Torque increased from 385 to 400 lb-ft.
2. Front fender badges for Z06 models included the 405 HP designation.
3. LS6 exhaust back pressure was reduced by 16%
4. Cam shaft was redesigned resulting in increased lift and a 5% increase in air flow
5. Valve spring material composition was changed to increase seat load by 14%.
6. LS6 intake and exhaust valves were a new, lighter design.
7. The valvetrain weight was reduced by 0.81 pounds, which improved valve seating at high rpm.
8.Airflow over the LS6 MAF sensor was increased by removing gridwork
9. MAF software was recalibrated
10. LS6 aircleaner housing had a larger intake
11. Wheels looked the same BUT they were cast spun instead of forged for a weight savings of 1.3 pounds per car
12. rear shock valving was changed
13. Improved clutch
14. Ticker front anti-sway bar
15. Modified steering rack
16. New front brake pads
17. HUD was standard

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
BoysNightOut said:
I am looking to begin my searching for a 2001 model Z06 finally.

Now, I did notice something when researching, is this correct?

2001 model: 385hp 385tq
2002+ model: 405hp 400tq

So the 02 is the better performer of the 2? I keep hearing that 01 was the best year for them. I planned on getting a 2001 model, I'm sure the hp difference can't be that much in reality on the street or track. Just curious what the difference in the 2 years was really and what was updated and changed. Nothing significant seems to have been changed besides the slight power increase I guess. I also want a 2001 because I am really trying to find a Speedway White Z06.

Any info on this would be helpful, thanks so much guys!

-Chris
Welcome to the site

Here is a link http://www.z06vette.com/02.php

compring the 01/02 Z's it's found on this site found at the top of the left menu. As with all things the newer the better with the 04 being the best of the breed and the Z16 the best of the best IMO.

After seeing the long comparsion list you may want to Shop Shop Shop for an 02 However with that being said...I would like to take the time to praise the 01 a bit after having taken a test drive in a TR 01/21K miles asking $33K (too much)last saturday with a friend. This car was both Hot and Tight with breathtaking performance in our 20 min/10 mile test drive. Also note there are a lot of really fast 01's here on this site.This site is a also a goldmine of information on the Z and better yet it's a place where you can find friends to get you through whatever you do to your Z.
Good Luck in your quest and here is to many happy Z miles...mind that stupid grin when you get out of the car tho :cheers:

ps...If you really want Speedway White....the paint is available and will fit any year Z :rofl:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah that's true, I was thinking of maybe getting an 02 and getting it re-painted white in the future maybe...

Thanks so much for all the informative help guys, you guys are awesome! 01 seemed to be the test year hehe. 02 seems to hold up a lot better in the end and have the best of the options, due to money reasons 02 would probably be the newest I'd be able to afford unless somehow someone has an 03-04 for an 02 price, rare. hah

·
Registered
968 Posts
Get what you want period! Cars are like women, just becase this cute blonde had a pimple on her As-, does that mean you wouldnt go for her!! :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Blessing to this site!

My '02 Z06 Lingenfelter is for sale. 18K miles, black on black, never been in the rain. I wish it were white like yourself but wanted the better engineered car. (40,000.00 if interested)
I just wanted to take time to comment on everyones positive input on the gentlemans quest for and '01 or '02 Z06. The respect everyone is given on this site is just incredible!! Unfortunately... other sites are just arguing about Ford being better than Chevy or otherwise. Opinions vary and if it wasn't for the other manufacturer pushing the other we would be the big losers! Everyone on this site deserves congratulations and blessings every day of their lives!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd kill for an 02 Lingen, however I think 40k may be a bit out of my price range, I'll hafta get back on that one hehe. This will be my first Z, so dunno if I need that kind of power at first haha.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
'01 is in fact the real deal - all these '02 and newer folks are wannabes.. :)

Find a good condition Speedway White '01 and be happy.

You want even notice the 20hp difference. Especially if you are going to modify the car.

The clutch, transmission, electrical and quality issues can and do haunt any year Z06 - it is just a crap shoot and luck of the draw whether you get a Chevy that has issues... :)

The only problem you side step with an '02 or newer is oil consumption.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cool thanks for more great info, I'm looking for an 02 now pretty much. Any color is fine, because down the road I'll save up and eventually transfer it to speedway white for sure. im obsessed with white on the Z, it just fits perfect. clean and sexy.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
BoysNightOut said:
cool thanks for more great info, I'm looking for an 02 now pretty much. Any color is fine, because down the road I'll save up and eventually transfer it to speedway white for sure. im obsessed with white on the Z, it just fits perfect. clean and sexy.
If you have your mind set on a SW Z, then you should buy one. With only 300 made it is the only Z06 that might one day have an real value.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I know a guy in phoenix that has 01 white with 3000 miles on the clock. Perfect as delivered from factory. All original. I can call hin if interested.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey Bobby.. If your buddies 01 is for sale, im interested but only if it has the two tone Black/mod red interior. I gotta have this color combo. Let me Know.. Thanks
-Dennis

1 - 17 of 17 Posts