Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
although I'd like to re-enter at a cheaper and more modable level. While owning my '02 z06 I couldn't ever justify modding with the already sizable payment and low miles on a perfectly running car. I got rid of it due to some close calls in the rain, and living close by the coast rain is always a factor. Now having multiple cars I feel I can re-enter the vette family with a sunny day driver. I always said if I ever came back it would be with a FRC this time that I would build to Z standards and save some money off the top and get my hands dirty in the process. All that being said, what price should I be aiming for with the FRC scene on the East coast? I've been browsing classifieds and getting ballpark figures. I'm actually interested in a black on black '99 with 73K but have no clue what should be reasonable. What do you FRC owners feel is good for the '99 and '00 FRC's with this amount of miles. I'm confident that everything out there will be 50k miles and up and I'm okay with that but looking to stay under 80k just because I don't want to rebuild the entire motor right after purchase, although the long term goal is to build a 500hp H/C car via the multiple vendors out there that can do this.

Getting to the point, what are some tips and what do you think I should be prepared to pocket? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
8ball said:
although I'd like to re-enter at a cheaper and more modable level. While owning my '02 z06 I couldn't ever justify modding with the already sizable payment and low miles on a perfectly running car. I got rid of it due to some close calls in the rain, and living close by the coast rain is always a factor. Now having multiple cars I feel I can re-enter the vette family with a sunny day driver. I always said if I ever came back it would be with a FRC this time that I would build to Z standards and save some money off the top and get my hands dirty in the process. All that being said, what price should I be aiming for with the FRC scene on the East coast? I've been browsing classifieds and getting ballpark figures. I'm actually interested in a black on black '99 with 73K but have no clue what should be reasonable. What do you FRC owners feel is good for the '99 and '00 FRC's with this amount of miles. I'm confident that everything out there will be 50k miles and up and I'm okay with that but looking to stay under 80k just because I don't want to rebuild the entire motor right after purchase, although the long term goal is to build a 500hp H/C car via the multiple vendors out there that can do this.

Getting to the point, what are some tips and what do you think I should be prepared to pocket? Thanks for the help.
IMHO I would look for a roller. In other words a car that isn't running for some reason. You said you wanted get your hands dirty and save some money besides. I would look for a car with a blown motor or drive train and fix it. You are going to mod it anyway. If you can buy it right you'll come out ahead. You may have to replace the short block or buy some new heads, etc. If you are handy and can read a book you can fix one.

I would also start a thread in the "for sale" section saying you WTB a FRC. We have quite a network here and someone may call you about a car in there area.

Good Luck on your search.

D.J.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
You get a lot of satisfaction from building your own. The biggest drawback it costs a lot more IMO that buying a car that someone has already built and has spent 10G's in extras and gets 4,000 in return when he sells. :z:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ITLGO that's true but I haven't seen any FRC's that are nicely modded that anyone will let go of. Usually the FRC owners that mod are the like the ones here and consider themselves lucky to have one and don't intend on letting theirs go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts