Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At my last autocross (two weeks ago) my car got tech inspected by someone who didn't know me and I got the max. inspection. He told me my battery was loose and I ought to take care of that.

The battery is original and the clamp is stock, so I was a bit surprised. It slid around a bit, but I got interrupted and nothing was done about it.

I was doing a self tech for a HPDE event last week and remembered that I needed to look at the battery clamp and this is what I found. The clamp bolt has a non-removable washer under the hex. The plastic clamp bar was the usual GM OEM black plastic thing that cannot be put in upside down as it is symmetrical. What I didn't expect was a thick washer and star washer retainer underneath the clamp bar. The washer under the clamp prevents the device from ever really clamping the battery tight.

I took the washer & retainer off and re-installed the bar and bolt and now the battery seems to clamp fine.

At the HPDE event, I was helping in tech and the EB02Z06 that I was checking had the same problem I had so we took the washer out from under the clamp bar.

GM usually does not add unnecessary parts for nothing. Am I missing something here? I can't think of a good reason for not removing that extra washer.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Good Post! I'm going to check mine out tonite... I't always felt tight, but I haven't really tried to move it.
Thanks. :jammin:

·
Registered
350 Posts
One thing that has helped mine:
I removed the battery and cleaned the tray very well. I put double sided, thick, sticky tape on the battery tray and on the bottom of the battery...then reinstalled it and clamped it down really tight. Now that the base has something sticky for the battery to grab hold of, it doesn't move at all. And OBTW, mount the battery as close to the inside part of the tray as possible. Not only does that limit the movement of the battery in at least one direction, but also moves 35 lbs closer to the center of the car. It's not but an inch, but everything adds up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts