Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, the zo6 has about 12,000 miles on it and is stock. Why is it I go sideways everytime I go thru 1-2-3 gears hard? THis is WITH traction control/ active handling ON? :eek:

Tire tread looks fine. Maybe this car is faster than I thought.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The Supercar tires are sensitive to temp (more slippery). If you live in a colder clime that could be a posibility. I don't trust mine under 50 *F. :NoNo:

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Yea, I'm tired of the rear end sliding out to the right in the lower gears.....just because I have all that torque and hp. :mah: I will solve that with new Nitto 555r2's this Spring. :yeadog: No more F1's here. :coo:

Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I live in a crappy humid place. Maybe the F1s arnt sticky enough. Never in my life has a STOCK car gone sideways so easily, espesially with TC/AH on. Ive owned some Crustang V8s and a 99 Firebird Formula LS1.

My guess is I would have to change out the stock rims (I dont want to) to put Nittos on? And depending on the cost I would rather get a catback system (if $500) ;)

·
Registered
830 Posts
I have the same problem...with cam/headers/bolt-ons added to the mix. I really need to find out what the hell all the 500rwhp+ guys are using on the street, as I'm intending on adding nitrous this spring and getting to that mark. Also, intend on doing more 1/4 passes this year so need something stickier (but usable on the street) to get the most out of the added setup. I live near Chicago, so weather is partly to blame.

·
Registered
878 Posts
just put on some new F1's what a difference the car sticks again-i think traction is toast after about 15k on the f1's
course your nitto's will stick -but i hear they are done at about 11-15k also, its the nature of the beast-the Z is on the ragged edge from the get go-most i meet who have added hp-lose out on traction-and the few little mods i made i noticed immediately the loss of traction-i had about 10k on the car when i modded it
i do remeber the sideways trip-what i hated most was you just hit the rev limiter as soon as you get on in 1st...so far the 1st 1k on the new F1's has been great, the car feels like a new Z-remember your 1st test drive from the dealer.. :thumb:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why get F1s again if I could get Nittos? BUT more than anything I need a B&B bullet catback system. Im used to the loudness of the formula. sorry got off topic :crazy:

·
Registered
878 Posts
i have b & b prt's love the sound without the resonance..
the reason i went with F1's again -they were engineered for the car and nittos are probably great-but i just street drive my Z, and nittos i think would be "finished at 10-12k miles and i don't want to spend that much $ on tires every yr.. :D

·
Registered
407 Posts
How much hp & torque are you putting down. The F-1's are a very good tire, but not in temps under 40-45 degrees. If you have traction and active handling on, this should help allot,but still not pull the car sideways- unless it's 40 degrees or you're putting down 400rwhp or more..
Nitto's or the Toyo's Ra-1's are the way to go. When my F-1's are done- Nitto's 555II2 are going on.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I had that problem with the stock F1SC's starting around 10K miles. They were just "off" by then, to use a racing term. Recently mounted fresh Kumho MX's. Problem solved!

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have the same experience, including the tires breaking loose going from 3rd to 4th at over 90MPH. But that's only with the traction control and active handling OFF. If I leave the traction control on, the computer kills the throttle a LOT when it detects wheelspin, and it will not allow the rear to break loose and go sideways.

So you may want to get your traction control/AH system looked at, because it doesn't seem to be working properly.

·
Registered
878 Posts
i'm basically stock in the hp area-maybe 350-360 rw, and i have yet to find z owners who upgrade to 450-500 rwhp and have any real traction
i think that is one of the big "downsides ' of adding so much power to the Z if you street drive it alot..
what good is additional hp if you can't get the car to stick,it seems to me its a 'dimishing return as far as $, cost , power and traction-but to each his own..i am very interested in seeing how the c6 Z will do after about 10k mi on it and if the tires can hold the 500 hp..
i think i lost about 20-30 hp when my F1's were toast..and now with new ones on-its like the car got a "boost " again in the hp dept.. :D hp is great,but if no traction,you could have 50hp over me and still 0-60 could be a close race/. :z:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts