Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I prepare to run at Buttonwillow again on May 6th, I was looking over my wheels. I had to change out one of my CCWs on the right front last time out. We were running counter clockwise, so presumably the heaviest brake load is carried by the right front wheel.

After my second run someone noticed one of my wheel balancing weights had melted loose and dropped from above and landed on the caliper.

I imagine while I was running hard on the track, cetrifugal force kept it in place, but when I stop in the pits, the glue holding it in place melted and it fell off.

I am sure others are faster and brake harder than me. This cannot be a new problem. How are you other guys balancing your wheels and how do you adhere the weight to the wheel so this does not happen?

:-? :-? :-?

·
Banned
809 Posts
tigerdrvr said:
duct tape over weights should do ya. s.o.p. :)
:yeadog: Or.. A foil tape.

Sal

·
Registered
971 Posts
We used duct tape on our two Ferrari 333SP'S. Looked good on the BBS magnesiums. Million Dollar race car and duct tape. lol.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Grim Reaper said:
We used duct tape on our two Ferrari 333SP'S. Looked good on the BBS magnesiums. Million Dollar race car and duct tape. lol.
We used it on A-10's and other jets during desert storm to close minor holes! $50M jets using duct tape! Definitely SOP on wheel weights!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
No Doubt said:
Ditto. Use metal foil tape commonly used for heating and air-conditioning duct work. You can buy it by the roll at Home Depot or Lowe's, etc.

That's what I use as well. Works great. Haven't lost a wheel weight yet. :cheers:

·
Registered
184 Posts
No Doubt said:
Use metal foil tape commonly used for heating and air-conditioning duct work. You can buy it by the roll at Home Depot or Lowe's, etc. Much better than regular duct tape which gets gooey and the edges unravel plus it leaves a mess.
Yet another vote for the foil tape. It's aluminum so it doesn't weigh much at all. A large group of us in the local region of the SCCA and several vintage racers use it. It's great stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts