Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my third Driver Ed lap session of the day, I lost the serpantine belt on a hot lap. Power steering was lost and the power management took control of the engine. Coolant over flowed and the hood liner was shredded. Do you think that this will be the extent of the damage, or could it be worse? :(

·
Registered
109 Posts
Happened to me on the way back from the track. I pulled over of course, and shut down. The tensioner pulley had given way, and dropped the belt, which ate itself.

There was no damage to the car, other than the hood liner. I'd change the oil, same as after any track session, and get it checked out when you get to your mechanic.
--Yak

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Bob,
Same thing happened to me on my very first track session after my T1 prep with the same result, loss of power steering rapidly followed by coolant overflowing and engine shutdown (I had lifted and was idling at that point). I put on a new belt and won the race the next day.

I definitely became more sensitive to the belt issue though. I now have the belt on my pre-track session checklist and carry a spare with me. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
This is a known problem on the LS1/LS6 engine. It will throw belts especially when down shifting around 4,000 RPM.

KaTech has a billet tensioner that is manual adjusting and cures the problem.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJWorm said:
This is a known problem on the LS1/LS6 engine. It will throw belts especially when down shifting around 4,000 RPM.

KaTech has a billet tensioner that is manual adjusting and cures the problem.
Don, now that you mention it, I had just completed a 4th to 3rd downshift just prior to loosing the belt. You really know your stuff! Should I be worried about the overheating? Could there be damage beyond the belt and the headliner? I have an oil cooler and oil temps were in the 240 -250 range when the engine overheated.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Subdriver said:
Bob,
Same thing happened to me on my very first track session after my T1 prep with the same result, loss of power steering rapidly followed by coolant overflowing and engine shutdown (I had lifted and was idling at that point). I put on a new belt and won the race the next day.

I definitely became more sensitive to the belt issue though. I now have the belt on my pre-track session checklist and carry a spare with me. :cheers:
Brad, thanks for the good advice. I am not the most mechanically inclined person. Is the belt hard to install?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The PCM has a SAFE mode. It reduces power if it senses excessive heat such as coolant loss.

You can loose all the coolant and drive 50 miles with no problems.

So loosing the belt and then pitting will not cause any internal damage.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DJWorm said:
The PCM has a SAFE mode. It reduces power if it senses excessive heat such as coolant loss.

You can loose all the coolant and drive 50 miles with no problems.

So loosing the belt and then pitting will not cause any internal damage.
Don, that makes me feel a lot better. The car was running in the safe mode for 2-3 minutes max. Are there any specific things I should tell the mechanic? Should I have them clean all of the sweet sticky coolant out of the engine bay? Do you have a link to the company that sells that billet tensioner?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts