Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am the original owner of a 2004 Commemorative Edition Z06(21,000 miles)[/B]
Last week under normal driving conditions a valve spring broke .
A speed of less than 20 mph.

Chevy has replaced with new create LS6 which is great except
I have rerquested and want the original engine "BACK".

Have talked to dealer and to Chevy's 800 number people but to no avail.

What good is a Commermorative 2004 Z06 without its original matching number engine.

All of the Z06 owners please get invloved.This could happen to you[[/U Start today contacting CORVETTE and demaning that the car owners should have the right to Re-Purchase the cars origninal engine after inspection and be returned to the cars owner if it can be repaired
/B] [, The value of my Corvetteis now and in the future IS REDUCED BY THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS as yours will be if this happens to you .

Am asking all Z06 owners and all Commemorative owners, to start today contacting CORVETTE and demanding THAT the car owners should have the right to re-purchase the cars Original engine if it can be repaired.[/COLOR( We understand the Corvette may want to inspect the engine. OK
what happens after that they give it to someone else and we are totally removed from the loop!

Car owners should have the right to re-purchase the original engine if it can be repaired.

IF ANYONE HAS HAD SUCCESS WITH CORVETTE ON THIS KIND OF PROBLEM, PLEASE PROVIDE A NAME AND NUMBER OF WHO TO CONTACT.

Thanks

Lemanstex :mah:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Your car may be worth a few less dollars due to the fact it has had the engine pulled and such. Nobody cares much anymore about the matching number stuff anymore. I wouldn't fret about it. Chevy isn't going to give you that broken valve spring LS6 either. Just drive the car and enjoy it. :ity:

·
Registered
378 Posts
From what I was told the Z06 use corporate engines with no number to ID the engine to the car. If I am wrong I am sure I will be corrected but I got this info from two supporting vendors on this site.

If you had wanted your original block mebbe you shoulda had _it_ fixed instead of swapped.

:cheers:

·
Registered
171 Posts
B_P_fox said:
From what I was told the Z06 use corporate engines with no number to ID the engine to the car. If I am wrong I am sure I will be corrected but I got this info from two supporting vendors on this site.
The supporting vendors are not correct. I submit: that they are wrong on so basic a fact means they must be making stuff up.:lol:

All GM engines and transmissions are stamped with a partial VIN which ties the engine to the chassis. This partial VIN consists of the GM division ID, the model year, the Assembly Plant and the Plant Sequence No. (what laypersons know as a serial number). It's been that way at least since the early-1960s. The factory Service Manuals clearly state this fact in the "General Information" Section at the front of each book.

The idea that no one cares about matching numbers anymore is BS. Currently, the ZR-1 community is just starting to pay attention to the issue. Give the C5 Z06 hobby another ten years and matching numbers will start to become important.

On the other hand, the idea that people are going to be able to convince GM to give them the right to buy-back their original engine after a warranty replacement must have developed in some reality distortion field. GM keeps those parts for identification, documentation and legal reasons. Once any documention is complete, the parts are scrapped, either by GM (because, in the case of engines, the parts are usually returned to SPO) or, in some cases, the dealer. I say, write those letters to GM and make those demans but...don't get your hopes up, folks.

Now, it might be possible, if the engine which was removed under warranty went no farther than the dealer, that after GM has told the dealer to scrap the parts, you could convince a "friendly" dealer to give you the parts, but that would depend on the relationship between you and that dealer. I've seen that happen with small stuff but never with a whole engine.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hib Halverson said:
The supporting vendors are not correct. I submit: that they are wrong on so basic a fact means they must be making stuff up.:lol:

All GM engines and transmissions are stamped with a partial VIN which ties the engine to the chassis.
I stand corrected. I was told of a partial stamp but nothing to directly match eng. to chassis. Glad I kept my block when I did my mods. ;)

·
Registered
858 Posts
Contact your insurance company, tell them what is going on. There may be a way to file a devaluation suit, I know you can do this sometimes when your car is involved in an accident to get compensation above an beyond the actual damage.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
Hib Halverson said:

All GM engines and transmissions are stamped with a partial VIN which ties the engine to the chassis. This partial VIN consists of the GM division ID, the model year, the Assembly Plant and the Plant Sequence No. (what laypersons know as a serial number). It's been that way at least since the early-1960s. The factory Service Manuals clearly state this fact in the "General Information" Section at the front of each book.

The idea that no one cares about matching numbers anymore is BS. Currently, the ZR-1 community is just starting to pay attention to the issue. Give the C5 Z06 hobby another ten years and matching numbers will start to become important.

On the other hand, the idea that people are going to be able to convince GM to give them the right to buy-back their original engine after a warranty replacement must have developed in some reality distortion field. GM keeps those parts for identification, documentation and legal reasons. Once any documention is complete, the parts are scrapped, either by GM (because, in the case of engines, the parts are usually returned to SPO) or, in some cases, the dealer. I say, write those letters to GM and make those demans but...don't get your hopes up, folks.

Now, it might be possible, if the engine which was removed under warranty went no farther than the dealer, that after GM has told the dealer to scrap the parts, you could convince a "friendly" dealer to give you the parts, but that would depend on the relationship between you and that dealer. I've seen that happen with small stuff but never with a whole engine.

Hib, I used to read a learn from your writing on the C5 Registry a few years ago when I belonged. Great to have you here!!!! :thumb: Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
its just a corvette, go enjoy it and live your life not worrying about an extra possible $1000 in depreciation. If you want to make a list now put me #1 to buy your car at book value with the numbers not matching in a few years. Cars are like baseball cards, they used to be collectors items when they weren't being collected. Now you should just go out and drive them and not worry about what they will be worth. Just enjoy the car.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Having a matching numbers CE Z06 will be important someday, but not for LONG LONG time. :z:

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
IT L GO said:
Having a matching numbers CE Z06 will be important someday, but not for LONG LONG time. :z:
I agree.

·
Registered
874 Posts
There are way too many Z-16s for it to matter. and if it does about 40 years from now, no one will care about the matching numbers anyway. Just look at the 1957 Bel-Air, theses cars are still bringing high dollars even if they don't have matching numbers. :thumb: :z:

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
I tried to get my original block back when GM replaced my engine and they basically told be go get f....... ;)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
IT L GO said:
Long long long long long time.

I would not worry about it. Just as likely, someone will like the fact that the engine has fewer miles than the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That bs the service area could of gotten the motor back for the cost of the core charge. This how dealerships work I have purchased lots of warranty parts basically gm wants the core charge back and nothing more they don't care or have any use for the parts.. Just for reference i paid 250 bucks for an ls6 block and crank and it was a warranty. I have also purchaged a ls1 longblock for 600 bucks which is cheap. The service guys probaly wanted the motor and kept it for themselves.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
robiferretti said:
its just a corvette, go enjoy it and live your life not worrying about an extra possible $1000 in depreciation. If you want to make a list now put me #1 to buy your car at book value with the numbers not matching in a few years. Cars are like baseball cards, they used to be collectors items when they weren't being collected. Now you should just go out and drive them and not worry about what they will be worth. Just enjoy the car.
wErd

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have to agree with Lemanstex, I would be very Pi$$ed Off. Most Corvette owners are anal about there cars, Particularly when it is a limited edition.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts