Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well since the corsa install my exhaust has been making that awful backfire sound everytime i am in low gears slowing down it only makes it in 1 and 2 gears when i let go of the gas and it ruins the moment is this normal? i did try the retune procedure that helped a little but it is still backfiring alot. :-?

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Sounds to me like a normal condition with the aftermarket cat backs. I have the GHL's and love the "popping" sound when you back off the gas. It's something the stock mufflers were able to eliminate.

Charlie

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Charlie's right. All aftermarket exhaust systems will make the popping sound. If you want to get rid of some of the popping you will want to replace your H-pipe with an X-pipe.

Btw, I love that popping sound!

Alex :jammin:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
It could have been making the same popping sound all along with the stock exhaust but you were unable to hear it due to more sound damping of the stock system.

D.J.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
MrKool said:
well since the corsa install my exhaust has been making that awful backfire sound everytime i am in low gears slowing down
Awful sound?! Hmm... I don't have awful sounds from my Corsa-Ti-with-straight-pipes exhaust. What I DO have is a melodious symphony of popping, gurgling, and spitting sounds that are music to my ears. I think it's awesome-sounding.

Now, back to your concerns... If your concern is that you think these sounds are symtoms of a PROBLEM with your exhaust, then rest assured there is no problem. These sounds are normal. If your concern is that you don't LIKE these sounds, normal or not, then you may wish to go back to the stock exhaust.

-Kirk

·
Registered
91 Posts
I can't believe you guys like that noise. To me it sounds like a hillbilly exhaust setup. I'm hoping an x-pipe will rid mine of the popping. But luckily we all have different opinions, otherwise we would all have the exact cars. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Darkside said:
I can't believe you guys like that noise. To me it sounds like a hillbilly exhaust setup. I'm hoping an x-pipe will rid mine of the popping. But luckily we all have different opinions, otherwise we would all have the exact cars. :cheers:
If I wanted a poofta, refined, politically correct, environmentaly friendly, non-noise-polluting, wimpy, limp wristed hairdresser car, I would be driving a BMW.. :p (no offense Jim C.. ;)) hehe

My car gurgles, pops, grunts and snarls when I drive slowly through traffic... if fact, when my wife accompanies me I can barely hear the conversation... ;) :p :lol: - just the way I like it :rofl:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well now that i know it is normal i guess i will learn to love it :) i do have Dynatech LTs going in with high flow cats do they have teh x pipe?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Backfire is an awfully STRONG description. Popping on decel is normal with aftermarket cat-back systems. Your factory tune may be a little on the rich side. With an Dyno tune for 300.00 to 500.00 you could reduce some of the popping but you will never eliminate it.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Mine backfired and popped with the stock exhaust, and it does the same just louder with the Corsas on. I also have an X-pipe, and it didn't change the backfiring at all, which I was happy about, because I like the backfiring on decel now.

As long as its not a very loud BANG, like louder than a 44 magnum going off, then its normal. The LS series V-8s tend to backfire a lot on decel (they will also occassionally backfire on startup too) - its just the way they are, and they all do it, especially with a free flowing exhaust. The LS6 does it more than the LS1 because of more fuel being dumped in from the higher lift cam, but the LS1's pop too.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
My LS1 motor does it too but it's been moded so many time's it doesn't know what it is. I guess I don't either.

D.J.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Darkside said:
"Hillbilly exhaust setup"...hmmm..never heard that awesome sound referred to like that before! Can you tell me more about that hillbilly exhaust setup? Maybe I can improve on that gurgle/burble/popple sound. Hillbilly sounds better already. :D

An x-pipe won't do it for you.

Charlie

Oh...BTW...Right on RC. :thumb:

·
Registered
229 Posts
i put borla stingers on mine and i did not like the deceleration popping either.i traded the borla for a like new 04 H pipe and put the stock titanium mufflers back on and i think the sound is perfect for a street driven car. i have never heard this metal jingle sound yet from the exhaust most people seem to have.i don't want an exhaust sound that invites policemen into my life.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I was gonna get aftermaket exhaust on our Z but not now...

Cops here in California have a mandate effictive 08/01/2005 to pull over and ticket ANY car with a modified exhaust. Doesnt matter whether the cop is an expert or not on that particular car as the car then has to be taken in to be checked (including under the hood). Even though its a sign off type of fix it ticket the only agency that can legally sign it off is a referee station. If another cop signs it off it will kick back and a letter will be sent to owner instructing them to take car in to be checked again. Its total BS and just happened to one of my cars with a Borla muffler.

The court then can decide if a $2000 fine will be imposed for altering the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
91 Posts
NYCHASM said:
"Hillbilly exhaust setup"...hmmm..never heard that awesome sound referred to like that before!

An x-pipe won't do it for you.

Charlie
Well hopefully the x-pipe will lessen it a bit. I've never owned a car that made this noise before. My brother had a C4 with no mufflers and it made the popping noise. I guess its just a noise I expect out of a pickup with smokestacks, rather than a sportscar.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
My offensive popping greatly decreased after the header system. Now it is more of a gurgle and I love it. With just the borla's though, it was pretty obnoxious.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
My car has the B&B PRT catback hooked up to LG longtubes w/matrix cats and x-pipe.

Still pops.

But, boy, does it sound angry when you put the foot down!!

Sheer symphony! :yeadog:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts