Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On occasion I have noticed slight "creaking" noises as I turn to pull into my driveway or make a close turn never really thought anything of it always atributed it to my lowered and Z51 suspension. Yesterday I noticed the creaking as more prominent, as to really make me take notice. I haven't really done anything different other than I did have the wheels off yesterday for some brake work but that is it.

Does everyone else have this "creaking"?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Some diag ideas/questions:

So the creaking is due to sharp turns and not when when you drive over the incline in the drive?

Does the sound come from the front suspension?

Can you reproduce the sound by turning the wheel while the car is not moving? If so, you might remove the front wheels and test with the car securely on jack stands or a lift.

Does the sound change character with speed? Like when you turn back and forth at 3 mph vs. 6 mph in a parking lot.

Have you checked your power steering fluid level (the C5 takes synthetic PS fluid)?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've noticed a really light amount of this creaking when it's cold outside and the car has been sitting for awhile. I hear it only during low speed stuff like you described, getting out of driveway etc...

FYI, I had a lot of this right after I had my tranny rebuilt, all of it coming from the rear of the car since the rear carrier was off...went away after some miles. Dunno if this has anything to do with your situation but thought I'd add this info.

Does the noise come from the front, back or both on yours?

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dunno, but something else comes to mind for me too. Maybe it's the old steering column weatherseal thing. Mine has a little of that and it comes and goes, but only when I'm actually in the process of turning the wheel.:-?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cemo said:
Does the noise come from the front, back or both on yours?

The noise is at low speed and coming from the back. It sounds as if something is to tight and is trying to give. I know that this seems weird but that is the only way I can explain it. It mostly occurs turning into a parking space or going over the small curb into my driveway. Sure seems strange to me.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
It's the rear window flexing when you chang the drive angle. Like pulling in and out of a sloped driveway!!!!:cheers:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jayzvette said:
It's the rear window flexing when you chang the drive angle. Like pulling in and out of a sloped driveway!!!!:cheers:
The rear window flexing, wow that is kinda strange, but I guess it makes sense, especially since the noise has become more prominent after adding the harness bar which I know has definitly made a difference in stiffening the chassis.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Since you've added the harness I would think it's to blame for the creaking. Since you said it stiffened the car up some then the noise is a result of the solid connection of the bar where there was movement before.

My $.02

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Vettechic,

Just to add my .02 worth. Two things come to mind. 1, it could be the sway bar links or the sway bar. Try and tighten them up. 2, it could be the possi unit or axle flange making the noise.

I have had my possi unit make some noise when going slow, turning into the driveway or even at the Dealer.

I have seen this happen before, have someone checkout both.

Then it could be the bar you put in but I don't think so.

Best of luck,

Ernie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts