Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will soon be adding LongTube headers, high flow cats, and an x-pipe. I'm interested in ditching the stock Ti's for louder exhaust to go with the headers. I don't like the two-tip look, so Corsa Ti's are out of the question. I also don't like the 4-tip Bullets, so they are a no-go as well. I've narrowed it down to 4-tip stingers, B&B PRT's, and Corsa Indys. I assume the Stingers will sound the meanest w/ headers. But, I am concerned about getting a headache. I don't care how loud the car is under acceleration, but when cruising between 1200 and 1800 rpms I don't want to get a headache. The PRTs claim to have no resonance. Is this true? Also, I've heard that the Corsa Indys sound more exotic and less like a '60's muscle car. Is this true, and are they significantly louder than the stock Tis? Basically, I want to go as loud and mean as possible w/out suffering from migraines while cruising at low rpms. Any input or advice is appreciated.

:thumb:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Looking at the same issue. ;)

The Corsa does sound too "motor boat" to me. Doesn't have the muscle car sound. :mad:

Anyone support GHL?

Right now I'm looking at the 4 tip stingers as well. :yeadog:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
reproman said:
Looking at the same issue. ;)

Anyone support GHL?

:yeadog:
I'm a big fan of GHL's. Nice deep muscle car sound and not quite as loud as the Borla's. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I have the PRT's and DO experience a little resonance at lower rpms on the highway. It's a little annoying, but livable with a partition. The sound is deep and great, that's why I leave them on. If I had it to do again, I would get the GHL Magnums. I have heard a lot of Stingers and they are loud and sound good, but the cabin noise is unbearable. I have friends who admit to getting headaches on road trips because of the droaning cabin noise. I'd get the GHL's. :thumb:

Bob :D

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rpallas said:
I have the PRT's and DO experience a little resonance at lower rpms on the highway. It's a little annoying, but livable with a partition.
At what rpms? Also, I have a coupe. Does anyone know if I will experience more or less resonance than a z06 with partition?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
will82 said:
At what rpms? Also, I have a coupe. Does anyone know if I will experience more or less resonance than a z06 with partition?
I have PRTs as well as and will second rpallas' comments. IMO, any aftermarket cat-back will have level of resonance. I noticed the PRTs resonate the most around 2K rpm, cruising in 6th on the highway is the worst.

I still prefer the PRTs to anything else on the mkt. If I had to do it over, I'd look at the Corsa Ti's but they are more money.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
will82 said:
I have PRTs as well as and will second rpallas' comments. IMO, any aftermarket cat-back will have some level of resonance. I noticed the PRTs resonate the most around 2K rpm, cruising in 6th on the highway is the worst. The partition helps with reducing the overall cabin noise level coming from the exhaust, it really doesn't do anything to eliminate resonance.

I still prefer the PRTs to anything else on the mkt. If I had to do it over, I'd look at the Corsa Ti's but they are more money.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just installed a Borla X-Pipe and Borla 4-tip stingers on my '01. They sound GREAT! Pretty quiet inside with the exception of some resonance at 3000, and 3600-4000 rpm. But I DO NOT care. When i want to ride all quiet and conservative...i drive my E430. When i want to own the road, have people cuss at me in traffic cause they cant talk on their cell phones, I take my Z. :jammin:

With that said...has anyone had this set-up and then installed headers? I'm wondering what kind of sound difference i can expect once i install some headers.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Too bad you've ruled out the Corsa Ti's -- they're probably exactly what you're looking for!

LOUD, but with no resonance!

I tried to ignore the resonance of the Bullets, but I couldn't. And the non-Ti Corsas were too motor-boat-sounding for me, too. I wanted raspy and mean, and that's exactly what I got. AND, I found them being sold used, so I got them for a good price, too.

Me, I didn't like the stock Corsa Ti tips, so I added my own. I'm sure you could make the exhaust a two-tip set-up by cutting the Ti and clamping on something different. For me, I prefered the larger, two-tip look. I think it looks great.

Good luck!

-Kirk

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
IT L GO said:
I'm a big fan of GHL's. Nice deep muscle car sound and not quite as loud as the Borla's. :cheers:

I'll second that, GHL's for a true 60's sound. :coo:

Jack

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
I have GHL Magnums on my H/C car, Dynatech LT headers
with the hi-flow cats and X-pipe. I don't have a partition, and use the car for long highway trips alot. Resonance is not a problem at any cruise speed and the car sounds very
"angry" at WOT above 3k rpm in 2,3,4 and 5th gear. If you want to hear them, I have a few video clips of dyno run, 1/4 mile run and the car at idle. Just PM me your email addy and I'll send them to you. One other thought, I have been an active member of this site since Dec of '03, and I have NEVER
seen a used set of GHL Magnums for sale here. That tells me that everyone who has them is VERY satisfied. And BTW,
this is one of the highest quality catbacks available, as they are fully polished stainless steel and should last a very long time. Jim

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It seems that no one who has the GHL magnums has any complaints about interior resonance, I guess that's why they are more expensive than stingers or bullets. On GHL'S website, they have a more expensive version called bullets, which they claim are even better than magnums as far as interior resonance goes. Does anyone have any experience with the Bullets? Do they still have an aggressive sound like GHL Magnums or Borla Stingers?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
GHL Magnums all the way! The GHL Bullets incorporate a larger muffler - the Magnums are more aggressive in sound.

A warning! Buy GHLs ONLY if you want to be completely satisfied. If you do not wish to be completely satisfied, buy something else.

Alex :D

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Bullets have a 6" can and Magnums have a 5" can, go with the Magnums, cheaper anyway.
Oh So Sweet Sounding :cool:

Jack

·
Registered
892 Posts
will82 said:
I've narrowed it down to 4-tip stingers, B&B PRT's, and Corsa Indys. I assume the Stingers will sound the meanest w/ headers. But, I am concerned about getting a headache. I don't care how loud the car is under acceleration, but when cruising between 1200 and 1800 rpms I don't want to get a headache...Basically, I want to go as loud and mean as possible w/out suffering from migraines while cruising at low rpms. Any input or advice is appreciated.
Based on what you are looking for, the Corsa Indy is the exhaust for you. I have them, and they're great, IMO. I was thinking of the Stingers, but had the same concerns as you about getting a headache with the resonance, especially since I like to take long trips with my Z sometimes. I've listened to both the Stingers and Corsa Indys' on other owner's cars, and rode in both before buying. While the Stingers do have a nice sound, they definitely resonate and drone inside. The Corsa Indy's are nearly as quiet as stock between 1200 and 1800 rpms, with ZERO resonance, but get just as loud as the Stingers from 3k RPMs to redline and at WOT. They're perfect: loud and aggressive when you want them to be, quiet and civilized when you don't (i.e. long highway trips).

Also, I've heard that the Corsa Indys sound more exotic and less like a '60's muscle car. Is this true, and are they significantly louder than the stock Tis?
Yes, this is true. The pitch and tone of the Corsa Indys is more high pitched and exotic sounding, whereas the Stingers sound more '60s muscle car style. With the Indy's, they sound more like the Ferrari 360 than a muscle car. There's no mistaking it for anything other than an American V-8, but its definitely more exotic sounding.

And yes, they are significantly louder than the stock Tis, except at idle and during low RPM highway cruising in 6th gear, during which they are only slightly louder than stock. The Indy's are very RPM dependent - keep the RPMs down, and they're relatively quiet. The higher the RPM's get, the louder they become, even if you're not going heavy on the throttle.

As for complaints about the Indy's sounding like a motorboat at idle, I've only noticed that on cars with the stock H-pipe and with the stock manifolds. The X-pipe and headers completely eliminate the motorboat idle sound. Now, the idle with the Corsas sounds very 'tuned' with a nice throaty, airy burble that sounds much better than the stock exhaust idle which I thought sounded like an old school bus.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts