Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently using the "2x12 method" to get the Z06 far enough off the ground to get a floor jack under the nose. Is there any reasonably priced floor jack that will get under there without the 2x12s? My car has only been lowered about 3/4". By "reasonably priced", I had in mind $100 or so.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You may need to consider a higher budget for a floor jack- but check this site for floor jacks; http://www.hyjacks.com/ they list low & high limits for each jack. They may have something that would work for you.

On a whole different budget level I recently purchased a Kwiklift and I have to say that I am very happy with it:D drive up the ramps, jack the rear and you have enough room (20" to bottom of wheels) to easily work the entire undercarriage with a creeper. No pucks or jackstands.
:cheers:

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Although its more than a hundred bucks, this is the jack I ended up buying after looking at NASCAR type low entry jacks that run from 500 to 1300 dollars.

I bought the DK13HLQ which is now on sale for $299.00.

3.1" entry and 29 inch lift.

http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Vault/3251/hydraulicjacks2.html

Scroll down the page and you will find it along with all their others.

Pat :)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Many people on this forum, including me, do not jack from the front but jack from the side.
My Z is lowered 1 1/4". I jack the rear up first, then jack whichever side I am working on next.
Yes I have 2 jacks but both were around $100 total.
If you only have one jack you can jack the rear and put stands there. Then use the jack on the side.
You can't believe how many times I have used both jacks together for something other than raising the car.
It works great for me.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
You can jack both wheels.....

....on one side, using one jack. There is a stiffener crossing from the tunnel reaching the rocker panel just behind the rear view mirror. It "Y's" out and is gusseted just at the rocker panel. If you carefully place the jack pad inboard of the fiberglass rocker panel where the metal reinforcement is you can lift both wheels off at once, ala NASCAR!

DO NOT use this method for any work under car! Make sure
1. the car is in gear (Reverse),
2. Emergency brake is ON,
3. and opposite down side wheels are chocked in both directions,!
4. Use jack stand when necessary. (Almost always)!

I use this method only for quick wheel changes, and bleeding brakes (with Speedbleeders).

If I have to change brake pads or a rotor where I would have to torque a bolt I place a jack stand under car also.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Pat,

Thanks for posting that link.That was the exact jack I was looking for so I ordered one.Looks like it might fit under the car with no wood.:D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone who replied with suggestions. I have looked at all the links. So far it seems that the DK13HLQ that Pat suggested has the best chance of fitting under my chin spoiler and getting to the front cross-member. I am calling today to see how much freight costs for this 90 pound jack. A little more than I wanted to spend, but if it works, it will save lots of pain getting the car onto the 2x12s. :eek:))

Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Jim,

Shipping is $49.00.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts