Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm feeling an uncontrollable mix of emotions right now. What the heck is going on? Here is the background....

The car is exactly 3 weeks old. I took it fairly conservatively on the break-in - working up to 4500 rpm by 500 miles. Since then, have been WOT many times. I had the oil changed at 880 miles 5 days ago. The car now has 1050 miles on it now and the DIC says "Low Oil Level."

Any ideas what's going on? Am I safe if I keep it under 2000 rpm until I take it in on the weekend - roughly 100 more miles between now and then? Is it possible the DIC or oil sensor is malfunctioning? If I hit RESET on the DIC now, if it once again measures low oil, will the message appear again? Any idead what is going on? Do I have the dreaded oil consumption in 2002 Z?

Please help. :mad: :( :( :( :( :( :(

Paul

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
It's possible that the dealer did not fill it correctly and the combination of the new engine burning a little off.

I would top it off and monitor it for the next 2k.

If it burns like this after 2000 miles, then you have a problem....

And yes, it will keep re-appearing....

JC

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Added:

It's kinda weird, on the 01s the consumption seemed to only happen in the middle to late production.

The very early ones (Frank and I) and some very late cars don't seem to be affected......FYI, I burn 1 qt every 2k, driving it daily, and HARD. Frank is the same way with his and I think he gets about 1800-2000 on his too.......

JC

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just drove it around the block and hit 4500 rpm. The "Low Oil Level" did not reappear on the DIC. :-? When it first appeared, it was right on starting her up after some decently aggressive driving. BTW, the oil pressure is 37 psi at idle - is this about right?

Paul

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, how long after driving do I have to wait to let the oil cool before checking the dipstick?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Ohh man... I hope you don't have any major problems. I also hope with the new oil ring design there still isn't an oil consumption problem:( :( I would wait about 15 minutes before checking the oil. I have an 01' with no oil consumption problems yet. Not sure why some motors burn and some don't. I wish you the best:) :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Be brave. Walk out there and pull that dipstick *right now*. ;)

Check it now. Check it in an hour. Check it tomorrow morning. Check it when you put gas in the car.

Do some of you guys really let someone else handle your oil and then don't even check their work by checking the dipstick?

I look at the color and how it drips off the dipstick. I feel the consistency between my fingers. I smell it.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
BrianK said:

I look at the color and how it drips off the dipstick. I feel the consistency between my fingers. I smell it.
This is starting to get a little weird :)

I would only check it after a couple hours just to be safe. Best to check it first thing in the morning......

If you are on even a small incline with the rear higher than the nose, the oil level will appear to the computer to be lower.....

40PSI at idle is about right......

JC

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
N4C5S said:
Added:

It's kinda weird, on the 01s the consumption seemed to only happen in the middle to late production.

The very early ones (Frank and I) and some very late cars don't seem to be affected......FYI, I burn 1 qt every 2k, driving it daily, and HARD. Frank is the same way with his and I think he gets about 1800-2000 on his too.......

JC
Mine was an oil guzzler and had a build date in August last year.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
They probably underfilled it

There are a lot of grease monkeys out there who probably automatically think "350 Chevy = 5 qts of oil", which is 1.5 quarts too low for the LS6.

If you let someone else change your oil, I would always check to make sure they filled the engine properly. Pull the dipstick in the morning after the car has sat over night on a level surface.

Mine has only used about 1/2 quart in 3000 miles, which includes at least a dozen or so WOT qtr mile runs. If you do a lot of WOT, 6000+ RPM driving, it will use some oil, but not a lot.

I would bet money that they just underfilled it.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
N4C5S said:

40PSI at idle is about right......

JC
When the oil is cold (<100 F on the DIC). When the oil gets hotter the oil pressure will be around 32 psi with 200 deg F oil.

As others have suggested, the BEST time to check the oil level is first thing in the morning before you fire it up. When I changed my oil, I checked it ~10 minutes after I shut the engine off and it showed ~1/4 qt low, but I again checked it in the morning after it drained back down all night and it was right at the 'full' mark.

Checking the level in the morning will show up better on the dipstick too because the oil is thicker when at room temperature :D.

If you have an 02, I really wouldn't worry about it being bad rings. I firmly believe the new rings are working as they should now :)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
A couple of points, already made ..

Don't trust anyone else to do the right thing for your car. Double check everything. They probably didn't add enough oil when they changed it. You should have read the dipstick after you picked the car up.

Don't rely on the car to tell you when it needs oil. Sensors can break. Use the dipstick. Frequently. Wait at least 15-20 minutes after turning the car off to check. It doesn't really take all that long for the oil to drain back to the crankcase.

You should (now) read your dipstick, add oil if necessary to bring it to the FULL line, and check it once a week for the next couple of weeks to see if the oil level changes.

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
earl level

my 2002 eb z was doing the same thing after the virgin oil change.. i really think they underfilled it..
i checked the stick and it was just a little shy of the full limit..
i bought a 5w30 mobile 1 and topped it off..
have not seen the light since then

·
Registered
528 Posts
I don't trust anybody changing my oil. I change it myself, that way I know it was done right. It takes atleast 20 mins to drain the oil. How do you expect the place to get whole procedure done right in 10 mins???????

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you to everyone for your help. I looked at the invoice for the oil change and it is for 6 quarts of oil. Is this right? Should he have used more? :-? :-?

Also, I looked at the 2002 vette chevy owner's manual and it says (of all things) to check the oil when it is warm or you may not get the correct reading??? :-? :-?

Paul

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
EB_Z06 said:
Thank you to everyone for your help. I looked at the invoice for the oil change and it is for 6 quarts of oil. Is this right? Should he have used more? :-? :-?

Also, I looked at the 2002 vette chevy owner's manual and it says (of all things) to check the oil when it is warm or you may not get the correct reading??? :-? :-?

Paul
Most folks report that if the car is properly (thoroughly) drained, it will take 7 quarts to bring it to the full line. If not completely drained, maybe it will only take 6.5. 6 quarts IS NOT ENOUGH and probably explains your low oil warning.

I have found that if I check the oil 20 minutes or so after turning off the engine, I get an apparently accurate reading. If I check it the next morning, I get the same reading.

I still suggest you bring it to the full line, then monitor it (with dipstick readings) for a few weeks to be sure it's not changing.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Jerry Velders said:
Wait at least 15-20 minutes after turning the car off to check. It doesn't really take all that long for the oil to drain back to the crankcase.
I've found that after 15~20 minutes of drain back time, my dipstick will show about 1/4 qt low. If it sits for hours or overnight then it will show higher and the true level.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
ZeeOhSix said:

I've found that after 15~20 minutes of drain back time, my dipstick will show about 1/4 qt low. If it sits for hours or overnight then it will show higher and the true level.
Well, interesting. I based my statement on the fact that whenever I check it, it's always on the full line. I've never really tried checking right after turning it off, but maybe it's been longer than the 15-20 mins it seems like. I'm not always so great with time. It certainly makes sense that once it's sat overnight, you're sure of getting an accurate read. You also get a cleaner (easier to read) dipstick.

·
Registered
223 Posts
the GM book = my C5 Tech = my '02 Z06 dipstick = 6.5 quarts = full

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Please take no chances and assume that your mechanic messed up and only put in 5 quarts rathere than 6.5! Check the dipstick and verify the DIC!!!! I am a firm believer in break-in and oil changes and I REMOVED the Mobil1 and substituted "ore oil" for the first 1000 miles and reinstalled the Mobil1 and I believe I will have a better motor for that effort. Hope for the best and keep us posted:) Bill

1 - 20 of 27 Posts