Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Just testing the site out , I have a 2002 Black,Black thank you General Motors. Would like to lower the car. Can it be done with the stock bolts, and do I have to change the stock camber. Thanks 2002-405

·
Registered
464 Posts
I lowered my 01 by buying a set of longer bolts from West Coast Corvettes. I think you can get similar bolts from other vendors as well. I also cut the bushings off of the front after trying the
lowest factory setting by tightening the fron bolts. (it wasn't low enough!) I would highley reccomend lowering your Z! I have not realigned it and it seems to drive great! I was affraid to take the front suspension apart to cut the bushings, but it wasn't bad at all.
Good luck

2Charmed
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
So, do I undertand it correctly that you can lower your car without the need to do a realignment?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The 02' for some reason can be lowered more than the 01's on the stock bolts, the front can be lower enough but you may want to use new bolts in the rear, I believe mine will be fine after the car gets more miles on it.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Thanks guys - will have to view that video again - there was so much in it, that some info just didn't stick - obviously! :eek:

For those who have lowered their cars, has it caused significant additional problems on the street - i.e., ramps, driveways, etc?

Thanx!

:D

·
Registered
201 Posts
Can you get an '02 low enough to eliminate the "4x4" look without cutting the front bump stops and with the West Coast Corvette bolt kit in the rear?

I just ordered the rear bolts. If I have to cut the front bumpers, I will, but wondered if there was any possible way that it could be done without disassembling the front suspension. I'd hate to start pulling the car apart already. :)

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
Do it right!

I over lowered my '01 Z06 to the point where I would not even try to navigate certain entrances and speed bumps. Make sure you do not lower the rear more than the front. The majority of air and wind must go over the car not under or you may risk control problems during high wind or high speed/racing conditions. I will only lower my '02 Z06 to the lowest stock setting with a re-alignment 3 weeks after the car settles and it will settle. Be safe, FUBU69/LES:) btw FRC TOM learned the hard way about this and warnred me in time after he saw a pic of my car months back on this site.

·
Registered
201 Posts
OK. I don't want to remove road brail or have trouble negotiating speed bumps, but I don't want the 4x4 "S-10" stance the car comes from the factory with either. I figured I'd drop the car to the lowest possible without modifying the front bump stops, then drop the rear to match and after the car settled, adjust and/or have it realigned.

Also, has anyone tried the "frame rail" mounted wheels that I saw at one site? Apparently they're supposed to contact the pavement first before your bumper does and keep you from bottoming on reasonable inclines.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
As I said above, I lowered my 02 1" with the stock bolts, front and rear, without cutting any bushings or taking apart the suspension.
It looks great to me in terms of clearance in the wheel wells. But I did it primarily for performance.
I did get it aligned and the camber set much farther negative than stock for the track.
Car ran and handled extremely well on the track.
Mine is not so low that I have had significant problems with driveways, speed bumps, etc.
Ffen

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Tom, I saw that 4x4, oops I mean Z06 of yours at Tobys today. If you lower and plan to go back to BIR:eek: lower using the stock ride height bolts only. Don't lower as far as it will go or you may get some bump steer. These cars do lower some on their own wants the suspension settles at around 10,000 miles.

As far as aligning, lower about 3/4ths of what the ride height bolts will allow will dial in some add'l neg. camber. I didn't see and toe or caster change. I feel the alignment is optional, probably not necessary. This is from my lowering the 3 C5s I've had and checking before and after alignment on them. Good luck and I'm sure you are having fun in LaCrosse. :cheers: Susan and I would have joined you all, but Lake Geneva was calling. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
'02 lowered

I just finished lowering my '02 Zo6 with the factory bolts about 10 to 15 mm on front and back. Will have to drive the car before I measure again. Will get back with the numbers. Thanks for all the help. Also I needed to order a front wheel from G.M. and was not able to get the correct one. G.M. tells me there not available sent me a wheel that is different from the ones on the car. The ones on the car are made in Italy the new G.M. wheel is made in USA. Whats going on here. Can't get an answer from them other then not available. Any comments.:-?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Why spend 30 bucks on a "lowering kit" from a vendor...when you can stop off at any Home Depot or Lowe's and grab the exact same thing - for $2.00 a piece? :):cheers:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wheels on Z06

Thanks for the replay IMA Z06. Its to bad the dealer would not be up front about it. But whats new. Thanks again, here more let me know. Tom

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.