Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you take your lowered car to a garage, how do they get the car on their lifts? I've got some wooden ramps but they will not work on a slick, painted concrete garage floor as the rear wheels just shoot them out the back.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't have an answer to your question, but my Z is lowered and I want to know what you guys are using to lift your cars. Ramps, jack stands, etc.?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Joe Bruntz said:
I don't have an answer to your question, but my Z is lowered and I want to know what you guys are using to lift your cars. Ramps, jack stands, etc.?

i lowered on stock bolts and i got a low profile jack that still slides under the car and lifts :)

also i use wooden blocks to raise the car a little and then on to rhino ramps :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Joe Bruntz said:
I have 8 2by10's that I stairstep so I can drive up enough to get my regular jack (Not RaceJack) under the lift points. I also have a set of Rhino Ramps that I sometimes drive the front up on at the same time the rear on the "Woodie Ramps". Then I Use jack stands and adjust for the heighth that I need using my jack and some 2by4's for support on the stands. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Drive the car up on 2x4s, and remove the adjustable pads from my lift. :bang:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try running some drywall screws through the wooded ramps so just a bit of the point is sticking out so it will dig into the concrete instead of sliding.

302/Z28

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
302/Z28 said:
Try running some drywall screws through the wooded ramps so just a bit of the point is sticking out so it will dig into the concrete instead of sliding.

302/Z28
Welcome to the site!! :thumb:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Curious as to how i am going to jack up the car, i havent had to yet so i dont know. I guess i should figure out soon.

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you take it to the right garage, Courtesy Chevrolet in Houston, Texas, they will scrape the Sh*t out of it and then send it to the body shop for repair. Just to make sure they did it good, they will repeat that process for you. Between me and the body shop, we made over ten calls to various people in the service area and yet they still did it a second time within an hour of having it back from the body shop. Remember, that is Courtesy Chevrolet in Houston, Texas! I guess I shouldn't complain, after all, it was only a $60,000 car.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
302/Z28 said:

302/Z28
Good idea; just make sure the screws are short so the head is flush or countersunk with the upside or you'll probably be investing in some new tires.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hope its ok to revive a old thread, but I went to sears hardware today and saw they had rubber step material. Its has the profile of the bottom of a black rubber-soled workboot, square about 5" wide by 17" long and it has a sticky backing. I guess you could say it sort of looks like diamond plate, except its rubber. They were about $5, and I think you could probably get away with using 1/2 of the sheet. I noticed that Rhino Ramps also have a similar block of rubber under the shortest part of the ramp to keep it from sliding. It seems like one of these under each piece of wood would definitely keep it from sliding. I've never lifted my car before, but plan to this weekend. I bought some to try it out if I had a sliding issue.

Just found a picture:
an idea:

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
MrKool said:
i lowered on stock bolts and i got a low profile jack that still slides under the car and lifts :)

also i use wooden blocks to raise the car a little and then on to rhino ramps :)
This works like a champ at home and many of us use a version of this process. If you plan to lift your car much, it is worth it to get a low profile racing jack. While I do have Rhino Ramps, I just jack up the vette and use a board with jack stands under the cross members - works like a charm.

When you take the car for service, talk to the mechanic. Most will also use a low profile jack to raise the car to set it onto the lift correctly. Good Luck

·
Registered
292 Posts
For the wooden ramps, get some slide bolts (like for a gate), and mount them sideways on the front side of your ramp so the slide will extend out past the bottom of the ramp. Line up the ramps in the garage for lifting. Mark the spot the bolt touches the cement. Drill a hole for each ramp just large enough and deep enough for the bolt to slide into. Put the ramps back in place and slide the bolt into the hole. No more slipping!

I saw this in another post/forum. My apologies for not remember the author.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts