Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
lowering, do alignment right away, or let it settle first?

Hi all

I am buying new tires next week, and since the car will be at chevy, should I have them lower the car and then do the alignment right away?

or should I have them lower the car (max drop is like 0.5" from what I read on this forum) , let the car settle for a week or so, and then get the alignment done?

thanks for any feed back.

(when I spoke to the service rep at the chevy dealer, they were not aware of the Z06 having those adjustment bolts to to lower the car, is there are better term or way to explain this to them?)

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
mannygmt2 said:
Hi all

I am buying new tires next week, and since the car will be at chevy, should I have them lower the car and then do the alignment right away?

or should I have them lower the car (max drop is like 0.5" from what I read on this forum) , let the car settle for a week, and then get the alignment done?

thanks for any feed back.

Wait a while.....maybe 100 miles or so.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Wait about a week. Mine settled to its max lowering 30-45mins after we lowered it, but i still waited to be sure.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Wait about a week, 100 miles or so which ever comes first. :cheers:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Manny,
I have heard mostly bad stories about Chevy dealers lowering corvettes. There is no way I would let the dealer you mentioned lower the car, especially since they had to ask how to do it.
The lowering is very easy but there is more to the process than just turning some bolts. You want to log the before and after measurements and get things even side to side.
Then drive the car 100 miles or so and have it aligned.
You can get "wedge" (not a good thing) if the bolts are turned unevenly side to side. Not likely, but possible if a novice does it.
The average folks are getting from lowering is 3/4" in the front and 7/8" in the back.
Good luck with it.
Dave

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The chevy dealer I am going to is in a small town in NY, they don't sell that many vettes, so I guess they don't service that many of them either and were not aware about the adjustable suspension.

Since the car will be on the lift during tire installation, I will print out the lowering instructions with pictures from this forum, and show it their their head mechanic, maybe that will help/guide him for the adjustment.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
corvette dave said:
Manny,
I have heard mostly bad stories about Chevy dealers lowering corvettes. There is no way I would let the dealer you mentioned lower the car, especially since they had to ask how to do it.
The lowering is very easy but there is more to the process than just turning some bolts. You want to log the before and after measurements and get things even side to side.
Then drive the car 100 miles or so and have it aligned.
You can get "wedge" (not a good thing) if the bolts are turned unevenly side to side. Not likely, but possible if a novice does it.
The average folks are getting from lowering is 3/4" in the front and 7/8" in the back.
Good luck with it.
Dave

what do you mean by "wedge" ??

When you mention to log the before and after, do you mean the number of threads and stuff showing on the bolt before and after lowering??

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
620 Posts
mannygmt2 said:
what do you mean by "wedge" ??

When you mention to log the before and after, do you mean the number of threads and stuff showing on the bolt before and after lowering??

thanks for the help!
Example: If one side is lowered a lot and the other side is lowered a small amount or not at all you can get "wedge".
This will change the weighting of each corner and mess up the cross weights (rf/lr or lf/rr)
The factory has certain ranges for the ride/trim height. If you go out of those ranges the car can get "wedge" and will not handle well at high speed cornering.
GM recommends turning the same amount of threads from side to side. This keeps the trim height similar side to side.
That is a pretty poor description of "wedge" but the best my small mind can produce right now.

You can count the threads before and after lowering but most folks measure the ride height from the floor to the wheel well at all 4 corners. Just keep the measurements if you want to go back to a stock ride height.

If the car is not aligned you will most likely get uneven tire wear on the inside edges. The alignment will change a lot. This goes for normal driving or autoX.

I would still try to find someone in your area who has done corvettes to do the lowering. Or a race shop.

Anyone from this forum who can help Manny?

Dave

·
Registered
101 Posts
When I lowered mine, I measured before, immediately after, a few miles after and a week or so after. The measurements seemed to indicate that it took a week and maybe 100 miles to fully settle in. I'd defininatly wait at least at least a week.

Also, I agree that it is scary if they didn't even know you could do this!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts