Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put in the longer bolts in the rear last night and it is LOW! I am going to a lift today to do the front. My question is can I cut the bushings without taking them off the car?? I swear I read something about it before. Any ideas?

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have heard of folks cutting the bushings while on the car, I think by using a hacksaw blade or other type of blade.
I cut mine off the car. I would rather have the bushing off where I could trim it then smooth it level so it sits flat on the lower control arm. Just my opinion.
Remember, the rear will go much lower than the front so you might have to raise the rear to keep some rake in the car.
Dave

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Check out this link
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63199

Read the thread posted by Dennis Wilson:

Quote:
Mine is down all the way on the stock bolts in back NO threads showing, I cut 2/3rd s off the front bushings in front with bolts all the way up. I used a keyhole saw to cut them It was hard but not as hard as taking everything apart . My wheel wells are 26&1/8 " from ground in front & 27&1/8" in back & the air dam is 2&1/4" from ground. bottom of car is 3 3/4" from ground behind front wheel & 4&1/4" from ground in front of rear wheel. Hope this helps.

Here is another quote by Dennis:

Quote:
I did mine without taking everything apart. Jack the front up, take off the wheels, use small hydraulic jack to lift end of spring to relieve tension on the bushings turn them down about half way & from under the middle of car you can see the bushings I used a keyhole drywall saw to cut the bushings its kind of hard, took about 20 minutes per side. I did it twice cut 1/3rd first It wasn`t low enough so I cut the 2nd 3rd off now its perfect! I recomend cutting 2/3rds the 1st time so you don`t have to do it twice!

He said he used a keyhole saw...hope this helps

Jeff :cheers:

·
Registered
4,392 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there metal in the middle of the bushing?? Its a pain trying to cut while its on the car. How can you relieve spring tension and still have room to cut?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Very easy to do, follow the directions from IT L GO and take your time. Once you have the bushings off, cut 2/3 and if you decide it's to low, you can always raise it up a bit. Do take the bushings out so you can trim them up nice and even or you may be setting uneven. The hardest part of this is lifting and getting the tires off!! Good Luck! :cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts