Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering dropping my 02 Z06 via the factory lowering bolts and have a few questions. On stock tires did the ride change much? Did it hit harder than the stock ride height? I assume you have less travel before it hits the stop so it must ride harder???

I am also looking into a wheel package and would like to go with HRE's I have seen a wide range in pricing on these wheels and wonder who has the best pricing on 540 series wheels?

If any of you guys that bought HRE's in a taller rim did you notice any rubbing? Did the taller rim fill the wheel well better pre lowering the car?

Thanks for your responses,
JOHN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
I lowered my Z with longer bolts in the back and
by just tightening the front bolts at first. The fron wasn't low enough so I took the bolts out and
cut the bushings and then replaced the bolts.
This was much more the effect I was looking for!
If you are going to put taller rims on I thing just cranking the factory bolts should be fine. I did notice a little ride differance but not much.
The car rides much flatter around corners :D
You can get the HRE's from Discount Tires (they negotiate)Since lowering my car I have been down the drag strip many times with no problems. It will take you about 2 - 3 hours at a slow pace if you havent done this before (for the front and the back) All you need is simple hand tools ( no sledge or axe needed for this mod :D )
Good luck,

2Charmed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,972 Posts
Bought my HREs in the stock sizes from Exit-28 Motorsports over on the left.

<----------------- They were much cheaper than my local dealer.

Pat :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
John;

I dropped my '02 Z06 all the way that the factory bolts will allow. It does not affect the ride at all since you are not changing anything on the suspension. The only thing you loose is the suspension travel to the stops. So far that has not been a problem for me. The car lookes much better. I would even like to drop it a little further in the front but already scrape the front air dam occationally. Even though that does not damage anything, the "special passenger" freaks every time it scrapes and accuses me of ruining a $50K car!! The street I live on has some extreme dips :( which cause this to happen but is generally not an issue on regular roads. :) Hope this helps. :cheers:

Harry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey all thanks for the information it really helps me to make up my mind.

Anyone know the actually cost dealers have to pay for a HRE wheel? I imagine there has to be a big float in the price seeing how I have been quoted such drastically different prices.

Thanks again
JOHN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
4vettes said:
John;

I dropped my '02 Z06 all the way that the factory bolts will allow. It does not affect the ride at all since you are not changing anything on the suspension. The only thing you loose is the suspension travel to the stops. So far that has not been a problem for me. The car lookes much better. I would even like to drop it a little further in the front but already scrape the front air dam occationally.
Harry
You will lose some time with the suspension like that if you are autocrossing. The car will not corner its best around the turns. Also, since your car is a '02 I assume you don't have many miles on it yet. The longer you drive it, the lower it will get as the springs contine to reload. You will eventually get your desired level or maybe even have to raise it a little to get over all the rough spots in your neighborhood. That's what my husband had to do with his 2000 this spring. We have speed bumps on our street! :-? I lowered my '02 this week-end, but not all the way and will wait and see how it looks in the spring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,238 Posts
MUFFLERBEARING said:
Bought my HREs in the stock sizes from Exit-28 Motorsports over on the left.

<----------------- They were much cheaper than my local dealer.

Pat :)
Bought mine from Exit 28 also---HRE 541's 19" & 20". Perrili P-Zeros.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,238 Posts
JWilson said:
I am considering dropping my 02 Z06 via the factory lowering bolts and have a few questions. On stock tires did the ride change much? Did it hit harder than the stock ride height? I assume you have less travel before it hits the stop so it must ride harder???

I am also looking into a wheel package and would like to go with HRE's I have seen a wide range in pricing on these wheels and wonder who has the best pricing on 540 series wheels?

If any of you guys that bought HRE's in a taller rim did you notice any rubbing? Did the taller rim fill the wheel well better pre lowering the car?

Thanks for your responses,
JOHN
I just got my 541's on--I will be lowering to factory next week. For pics see

http://www.chantalray.homestead.com/z06.html
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top