Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled this off LS1Tech...it is also on the GM site...price comments sound like a $59,990 C6Z to me...

LS7 GM crate motor part# = 17802397

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most Powerful Small-Block Ever - Available in a Crate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOR RELEASE: 2005-03-22

CONTACTS

Most Powerful Small-Block Ever - Available in a Crate

DETROIT - Chevrolet unveiled the 2006 Corvette Z06 at Detroit's North American International Auto Show in January, and now GM Performance Parts is unveiling the crate engine version of the LS7 engine that powers it. This latest Z06, billed as "the fastest, most powerful car ever offered by Chevrolet and GM," has enthusiasts looking for that kind of power in a crate engine. GM Performance Parts is ready to end that search as it offers the LS7 (P/N 17802397) at GM dealerships and Authorized Centers, nationwide in August.

This small-block V-8 dreams big, displacing big-block cubic inches at 7.0 Liters (427 cubic inches) and big-block power at 500 hp at 6200 rpm. It also benches 475 lb.-ft. of torque at 4800 rpm. Helping to create its high power and high revving capability are details such as cylinder heads with computer numerical control (CNC) intake and exhaust ports and combustion chambers - which creates ports with surgical accuracy for maximum power production. In addition, the intake valves and connecting rods are made out of high-strength lightweight titanium.

The LS7 engines are assembled by hand at GM Powertrain's new Performance Build Center in Wixom, Mich.

Pricing will be announced mid-summer; however, early estimates indicate that the GMPP LS7 crate engine will sell for well below the cost of comparable custom-built aftermarket engines.

Enthusiasts who must have the latest technology, maximum horsepower and the largest production cubic-inch displacement small-block ever built will be able to purchase the LS7, as well as other GM Performance Parts crate engines, blocks, heads and components, from GM dealerships or GMPP Authorized Centers nationwide. Following the release of the LS7 in a crate, GMPP will offer select parts, such as the crankshaft, connecting rods, cylinder heads and valves separately, and in kit form. To locate the closest GM dealership or GMPP Authorized Center or dealership, call 1-800-GM USE US or visit www.goodwrench.com.

General Motors (NYSE: GM), the world's largest vehicle manufacturer, designs, builds, and markets cars and trucks worldwide, and has been the global automotive sales leader since 1931. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.

LS7 specifications:

Part number: 17802397
Horsepower: 500 (373 kW) @ 6200 rpm
Torque (lb.-ft.): 475 (644 Nm) @ 4800 rpm
Engine type: Cam-in-block 90-degree V-8
Displacement (L/cu in): 7.0 / 427
Bore x stroke (mm/in) 104.8 x 101.6 / 4.125 x 4.00
Block: Cast aluminum with pressed-in cylinder sleeves and 6-bolt, forged steel main bearing caps
Crankshaft: Forged steel
Connecting rods: Forged titanium
Pistons: Cast aluminum
Camshaft type: Hydraulic roller, 15 mm (.591 in) lift (intake and exhaust)
Cylinder heads: CNC-ported aluminum; 70-cc chamber volume
Valve size (mm/in): 56 / 2.20 (titanium) intake / 41 / 1.61 (sodium-filled) exhaust
Compression ratio: 11.0:1
Rocker arms: 1.8:1; offset (intake only)
Recommended fuel: Premium required. 91 octane minimum

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I will be surprised if this thing is over $15000 or so, worse case. I really expect it to be in the $10-12000 range. If you think about it, the fact that this motor shares its design with the entire new generation of small blocks is nothing but good. Ford has come to market with leftover 4 valve motors in the $5000 range for na and low teens for the blown Cobra mill. Those motors are far more complicated to build and more parts intensive than the LS engine family. The current Z06 motor is around $6500, and the LS7 does not stray that far from the fold. Factor in the special crank, and unique block and heads, throw in some extra $ for the bragging rights, and the motor could easily come to market in the low teens if GM wanted it too. I can see some conflict, as there will no doubt be plenty of folks who can pony up the bucks for the motor, but not the car. I see C5's, Fcars, GM pick ups, etc. pounding the pavement with LS7 power in a couple of years. I suspect the sleeved LS1 blocks will be obsolete, as the LS7 block may very well be priced in the same range, and, I suspect, cheaper than the current C5R piece. Time will tell, but this engine family has just started rewriting the book on affordable, durable, user friendly horsepower. Thanks, Rudy E

·
Registered
148 Posts
Given that this motor comes in under 14,000 what will it cost to have a mechanic to swap and install this motor with all necessary components?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the na '5.0 Cammer' is $15k. And agree with your estimate on the LS7. It should be come popular, being just a few $$$ more than a head and cam package.

Unfortunately, a lot of engine shops making a living building sleeved and stroked LS1s may be hurt.

Although the LS7 will probably end up being wet-sleeved. The new Dart is 4.2. The LS7 has the valves to make a 450+cid motor work.

In 18 months we may be talking about 550-650 na rwhp the way we now talk about 400-500.

David

P.S.
There are all sorts of cam ref, knock sensor, and ECU issues here, and I don't think they have all been solved. The cam ref just requires parts...the others are still open I believe.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I have a feeling the LS7 crate will be about $14k. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
DavidNJ said:
P.S.
There are all sorts of cam ref, knock sensor, and ECU issues here, and I don't think they have all been solved. The cam ref just requires parts...the others are still open I believe.
You should be able to retap the block like I have to do with my LS2 block for the ODBII knock sensors enabling the use of the C5 PCMs.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hell, by the time it's all said and done it will probably be more convinent to just to trade for a c6zo6. 15,000 to swap motors or 20,000 to get a new car. Funny, I've gone from modding the hell out of my car to doing nothing and I'm sure tomorrow I will have another opinion. I just can't win. :crazy: Once you have a 427 modding becomes more reliable and effective throught blown applications. Not to mention outright dangerous. :sneaky: It's hard to believe a year ago I was driving an old pickup and had never driven a sportscar in my life. I'll figure something out eventually. I'm loving the car anyway. :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well as some things are just abit to good to be true, as also despite the ungodly price, there is just one delima. How do you make your ECM deal with the new deal?
No problem, doable need the car for three days, price 1K, perhaps more.
And the down side, dealers have a bad habit of messing with the program, which will put you back to square 1.
Correct engine maping, (programing) is $$$ dealers guess what diagnois with a plug in and non spec stuff is snuffed, as in your neat modified Corvette is now a Chevette, well maybe if it starts.
Which should be an interesting deal as there is NO program yet availible for a C6 for any cam or auto trans mods.
6spd cars can change to any ratio, no programing.

·
Registered
892 Posts
How do you make your ECM deal with the new deal?
You replace the ECM with the one that is designed for the LS7. As a crate motor, they need to offer the ECM for it too, and maybe it will be bundled with the engine, harnesses, etc. It's going to need the externally mounted dry sump oil system anyway.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I thought the communications protocol was different from the C5 to the C6. I think it wouldn't be worth all the hassles. Just trade the whole car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts