Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a C5R 427 built for my 2002 Z06 and I want to protect it from the oil starvation during hard cornering problem inherent in the Z06/LS1 motors. The following article refers to improvements made in the new LS2 oilpan which are supposed to help solve this problem.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/chevrolet/smallblock/0405em_ls2/

Does anybody know if the LS2 oilpan will fit the C5R block?

Thanks for any help.

Mike

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
IMO if you're going to the expense of building a C5R motor, dry-sump is the only way to go. Next best is to run an Accusump (what I have). Oil pans don't make enough of a difference either way.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LS2 pan

Joe,

I originally discussed Accusump with the prospective builder but the builder said that they had had problems with Accusumps and wouldn't warranty the motor if I had an Accusump included. How difficult and expensive is it to have a dry sump installed?

Mike

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
mayodoc said:
Joe,

I originally discussed Accusump with the prospective builder but the builder said that they had had problems with Accusumps and wouldn't warranty the motor if I had an Accusump included. How difficult and expensive is it to have a dry sump installed?

Mike
What??? Why the heck wouldn't they warranty a motor when you add a device that PREVENTS oil starvation?? Even if the Accusump failed, it couldn't prevent the existing oil system from functioning unless the canister exploded and you lost all your oil. On top of that, you can use the Accusump as a pre-oiler which should greatly improve the longevity of your engine. Mine's been in for a year and I've had zero problems. Sounds like BS to me... All the T1 guys are running Accusumps as far as I know and they're hard on their cars.

Don't know the specifics of installing a dry sump, but do know that you will need to find a spot for the oil reservoir. Many lose the A/C to accomodate this. Contact Katech, they have a system that's pretty popular.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
The valve end of the Accusump should be located a bit higher than the other end so any air/foam does not gradually collect and reduce the Accusump's capacity. You don't want the Accusump to send air into a stressed engine, resulting in oil foaming. In fact there have been cases where this has ocurred resulting in engine damage or failure, so it's not BS.

According to Canton, the manufacturer of the Accusump: "Note: The refill rates on the electric valves are suitable and recommended for Street and Drag Strip use. On Circle Track and Road Course applications where quick refill rates are required, we recommend the manual valve listed below."

That said I have an Accusump and have yet to experience any problems with it. I use the electric valve as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Accusump

I think that I'll go ahead with the Accusump. If I decide to go with this shop, they can either add a clause to their warranty that says they won't cover engine damage which is due to Accusump failure or I'll go elsewhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts