Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just fired up the 427 in my C6 and all is well.
It took some rewiring on a couple of sensors but the check engine light is out and it starts right up and seems to run just fine.
This means that the C5 engine will work in a C6 and vice versa. That's really why I did this. To find out if the cam sensors, etc are compatible.
You will be able to run the LS2 in your Z06. My major concern was the cam sensor. There isn't one in the LS2 block. It's in the timing cover.
The wires need to be cut and spliced and actually have their position in the plug changed, but they will work.
I actually have both sensors in this engine and made a long extention harness so that I could run the motor off either one.
Now that I know it will work, I'm going to go back in, pull the timing cover and replace it with a C5 cover with a double roller timing chain.
The knock sensors are also different, but they will also work. I just had to Helicoil one of the holes in the side of the block down to 8mm.
The clutch on the C6 is a huge , heavy POS. The disc alone weighs 6 1/2#. The whole assembly weighs 55#.
I put in a LUK Pro Gold Series clutch which weighs only 37#. The disc is almost 2# lighter, too. That should help with the shifting, I would think.
The new hydraulics are awsome. I just pushed the clutch pedal to the floor with one finger. It feels like a Toyota. In a C5, the same clutch is a little stiffer than a stock Z06 clutch. I'm not sure that the hydraulics will retrofit into a C5 however.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Thanks for the Info Andy. I'm sure some of us were wondering if this would be possible. Any new issues arise since the install? Thanks again. :cheers:

·
Registered
380 Posts
What i would like to know is if that PCM is ls1 based pcm

The other thing is:

How much HP can that clutch hold??

I mean 20# reciprocating from the engine is HUGE!

I am going to put my street twin and its almost 55# also... but keep in mind that it will hold 1400hp.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Lots of great info. From what the dealers want for the C6, I am not even thinking about trading. I have thought about going to a 427 later.

·
Registered
79 Posts
What is it gonna take to make the LS2 (I am talking about a 402 LS2) work in the C5?

The knock sensors are in a different place, but should work on the same +5 mv signal and hence with the LS1/6 pcm.

Does the cam sensor being in the front mean anything other than you need to run the LS2 timing gears and chain, which is hell for stout.

Can we run an LS1/6 cam in a LS2? Do the LS1/6 heads bolt up. If we use our old heads what gasket do we use?

Inquiring minds want to know. The combo of 4 inch stroke and 4 inch bore is gonna be famous unless the new 427 LS7 is avail from GMPP for less than 10K, which I doubt.

The cost of the LS2 block (less than 1k some places) makes it a natural for a performance engine as a 402.

Perry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts