Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I searched for this but found a thread over 10 years old, so I thought I'd start a new one. I have a 2002 Trans Am WS6 that I may swap an LS6 motor into. Its a 2005 LS6 with 35k miles on it. For fun I thought I'd see what it would take to spin it at 7000rpms for the occasional high rev shift.

Now there are two parts, mechanical parts and air flow. To spin at 7000, other than valve springs, what will I need to accomplish this? (brand and part numbers would help too!) I dont want to dive into the engine, just valvetrain stuff. For the air, possibly long tubes, or intake stuff if I have to.

If this motor just shouldn't rev to 7000, then thats fine too, it was just for fun. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Just so you know, the LS6 was NOT used in 2005... only the LS2. LS6 2001 - 2004 Z06s.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The LS6 was used in the first Gen CTSVs in 04-05, and the LS2 in 06-07. The LS6s are identical as well, minus the use of the LS2 timing chain on the 05 LS6, from what I've read.

I came to a corvette site rather than a Cadillac site since I figured you guys would know more about the motor's performance upgrades.

While the power may taper off, the benefit of higher rpms would be that you're at a higher engine speed at your next gear. However, I don't care about the powerband. I just feel like making it rev higher if possible. So if it is possible, sounds like only springs would need to be changed? They experience float around 6800 I believe. I don't need any mishaps. I'd like to take a conservative approach.

·
21,341 Posts
I had an 02 Z06 that I had tuned myself using EFILive. One of the first things I done was to raise the rev limit to 7k. I never noticed any valve float and I didn't notice a difference in 1/4 mile performance. I decided to put the rev limit back to stock. Why tempt fate!

·
Registered
213 Posts
The LS6 can handle 7000 RPM
I remember watching an interview with Dave Hill where he stated one of his favorite little victories with the C5Z was getting the "8" taken off the tachometer for greater resolution on the gauge. He said something to the effect of "We had no future development plans to run the engine past 7k, so why have a less useful gauge..."

I only found it interesting from the standpoint of how every little detail of the car is obviously discussed and debated during the product development phase. I guess it only expands on the statement that "Every ounce (and digit as well) earns its way on to the car..."

Ryan J

1 - 6 of 6 Posts