Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much machining and polishing work goes into a stage II LS6 head. What I'm trying to ask is how hard it would be to machine by oneself. My dad owns and runs a machine shop with many CNC machines. He said it wouldn't be hard to do. What exactly would need to be done. Does anybody have stock numbers, and after numbers of the intake and exhaust ports? What else would need to be opened up besides the i/e ports? If I did a h/c I would be looking for 450+ rwhp with a G5x3 cam or something similar, any input?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Physically I dont think it would be too hard but technically might be a chore to get it right. Alot of engineering expertise is needed and you don't want to practice on your only set. Just my .02.

·
Registered
971 Posts
It's really an art, when you want to get those high flow numbers. Low flows are easy. Good flow numbers are harder.

Great flow numbers...There are couple of head porters on one the other forums that have 30-50 hours masaging their heads for every last cfm. Little competition they have going on. How does 370 cfm at .600 and 265 cfm on the exhaust(not sure how much material is left or if will crack) strike you on an LS6 casting.

I would have to agree, even though you can do it, let someone that is better at it and does it all the time, just do it.

If you really want to get into it. I would spend some time at one of the better shops, if they will let you in and share their trade secrets.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts