Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda curious what some of the goodies are inside our LS6 motor: Roller rockers? Forged crank? Four-bolt mains? Forged rods? etc. etc. Thanks...just curious!

·
Registered
858 Posts
firsttimevette said:
Kinda curious what some of the goodies are inside our LS6 motor: Roller rockers? Forged crank? Four-bolt mains? Forged rods? etc. etc. Thanks...just curious!
I am not positive on this but I think

Roller Rockers: Check
Forged crank: Not sure but I think it is
Four bolt mains: Actually 6 I think (2 side bolts)
Forged rods: No
Forged Pistons: No (hyperutectic)

For the most part the stock internals will handle anything you throw at it NA, but dont like FI much. Pistons are the weak link for FI.

·
Registered
86 Posts
other than the "breathing" ports between cylinders, and the slightly different LS6 pistons, are there any differences in the bottom end (crank/rods, etc) vs the same vintage LS1?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Good things:
- Nitrided Nodular Iron Crank
- 6 bolt Mains
- Priority main oiling
- Compact architecture
- Good Cam
- Excellent Ignition
- Good Water Pump
- Adequate Oil Pump (can be improved)
- Excellent high flow Heads
- Titanium Intake Valves
- Hollow Na filled Exhaust Valves
- Close ratio Tranny

Weakest links are:
- Con Rod Bolts
- Push Rods
- Valve Springs
- Cast Pistons
- Single Roller Timing Chain
- Non-roller tip rocker arms
- Powdered metal Con Rods

Additional areas of concern:
- a marginal size Radiator
- no engine Oil Cooler
- no Tranny Cooler
- no Diff Cooler
- marginal Diff Output Shafts
- Aluminum Shift Forks
- poor Rotors

LS7 Improvements:
- Forged & Gun Drilled Crank
- Titanium Rods
- Billet Mains
- Titanium Rods
- Improved Rod Bolts
- Better higher lift Cam
- Higher out put 2 stage oil pump
- Dry Sump
- HD single roller timing chain
- Better heads
- Larger Valves
- Larger valve springs
- Larger TB
- Larger Intake manifold
- Engine Oil Cooler
- Tranny Cooler
- Diff Cooler
- Strengthened Tranny
- Strengthened Diff
- Strengthened Out put shafts
- Strengthened Half Shafts
- Strengthened Clutc- Bigger Brakes

But still has:
- Cast Pistons
- Roller but Non-Roller Tipped Rocker Arms
- Now has drilled Rotors ( Jury is still out on these. Drilling may cause increased cracking if metallurgy was not improved)

·
Registered
858 Posts
I was not sure on the crank, Good info above except the LS6 has sodium filled intake and exhaust valves...The LS7 is the one with Ti intake valves and sodium filled exhaust valves.

I have read it both ways with the LS1 VS LS6 crank. Some say same unit in the LS6 but better balanced version, others say the crank is identical. I believe in '01 when they added the LS6 they upgraded the rod bolts across the board.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Compared to el cheapo motors like the 3.5 Nissan 350Z engine, I'm proud to wear the Z06 badge! :thumb:

·
Registered
372 Posts
firsttimevette said:
Thanks for the feedback. Compared to el cheapo motors like the 3.5 Nissan 350Z engine, I'm proud to wear the Z06 badge! :thumb:
Just curious, what makes the 350Z an "el cheapo" motor? The DOHC, or the continuously variable valve timing?!? :-? Course, it is open deck and can't take much power when exposed to aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
On the new Z are the rotors drilled or cast with the holes in them? Maybe it doesn't make any difference and they still crack but I thought cast rotor holes were more durable than drilled. I don't know anything about rotors. Can you tell. I am in the market for new rotors so I am asking.

D.J.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The valve springs are weak. The limited edition had a 10 hp increase and Nissan saw the need to replace the valve springs. Don't tell anyone, but prior to buying my Z06, I thought about the 350Z and its potential for increasing the power from 300 hp to 400 hp to put it on par with the Z06. Basically, the pistons need to be replaced, etc. etc. Plus Road and Track found the tranny is marginal with loads from stock hp! The clutch is weak, so on an so on. I concluded, the 350Z has a passenger car motor and running gear in a sports car. Hello Z06!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts