Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Deck-plate honing???

The C6 Z06 web site discusses "deck-plate honing of the cylinders". Whud 'dat? I'm an old Navy guy and am well familiar with deck-plates; something you are always chipping and painting. I'm sure that's not what they are referring to but what is it?

·
Registered
892 Posts
I can't remember the exact details of deck plate honing, but I believe it is a process where they bolt a plate onto the top of the block where the heads go, and torque the head bolts down onto the plate to 'load' the block, before they hone the cylinders and top of the block. This ensures more accurate cylinder and block tolerances, as a block can distort slightly when under head bolt torque. They typically do this process when building race engines.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Z06ified said:
I can't remember the exact details of deck plate honing, but I believe it is a process where they bolt a plate onto the top of the block where the heads go, and torque the head bolts down onto the plate to 'load' the block, before they hone the cylinders and top of the block. This ensures more accurate cylinder and block tolerances, as a block can distort slightly when under head bolt torque. They typically do this process when building race engines.
\
You are correct and IMHO should be used even when honing out lawn mower engines. It pre-stresses the block to promote a better ring seal. Some builder's will not only torque plate hone a block but will install the correct head gasket and run warm water through the block as well. Some even bolt up freeze plugs, block plugs, bell housing, water pump and pan.

D.J.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
A heavy metal plate that is bolted to an engine block during cylinder-honing operations. This helps keep the cylinders perfectly round. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
jub jub said:
What in the world is that? All you need is an anchor chain and you'll be all set Jub. Overall it does show the deck/torque plate and that's what we needed.

D.J.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
bobby778 said:
What engines are not hand ass.? Robots,I dont think so.
So true.

Every time I hear about something being hand built I hark back to the time when I had one of our local "hot shot" Trans builders build a transmission for my race car. My trans is upside down on a stand and the guy is dropping ash's from his cigarette into my valve body while he's talking to me. The valve body was full of fluid and the ash's dissolved upon contact with the fluid. When I asked him if cigarette ash's would harm anything in the valve body he said don't worry I'm real careful, see nothing's in there yet. Go figure. :bang:

D.J.

·
Registered
449 Posts
There have been at least two magazines invited to view the brand new engine assembly plant. One was Chevy High Performance and from the pictures and descriptions, it was nothing like your local machine shop. Everything is like an operating room at a hospital. Each station requires checking in and out by bar codes on a computer before and after each process. Also assembled parts are painted with marker to signify completion. It was very impressive.

As an interesting related side point. At Bowling Green, they wear outfits like doctors in the paint rooms and those are not open to visitors in the factory tour. They take paint as seriously as we buyers. :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
The difference here is that one person builds an engine, versus one person doing the same operation 8 hours a day.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TX to all for the informative responses. I kinda figured that from the "plate" part of the term-it was the "deck" that had me adrift!

·
Registered
314 Posts
constren said:
As an interesting related side point. At Bowling Green, they wear outfits like doctors in the paint rooms and those are not open to visitors in the factory tour. They take paint as seriously as we buyers. :)

To bad it turns out looking like an orange...the paint on vettes is horrible.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The key wording with the LS7 is:

"....hand built by one person only."

A single technician "walks" each engine thru the process from start to finish and "signs" his work. This eleminates a variability in the Q&A. You may have variability between Assemblers and engines but a problem can be more easily identified.
- Quality is much improved and proven to be. Mercedes, Porsche & Ferrari have proven this method on their high end models.
- A problem associated with 1 assembler can be quickly identified.
- A problem in engines assembled by many assemblers therefore is not an assembly problem but an engineering, part or process problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts