Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
DJ, any hints coming your way re pricing??

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I am possibly interested in the crate engine - not interested in the car.

Thanks...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Interesting, however making it work requires a ecm (engine control module) which should prove even more interesting as no one has cracked the codes on the current C6 ecm for a cam change and giving the aftermarket blower folks wanting to sell huffers for the current C6 a major headache.
Also considering the hand built LS7 production will be hard pressed to keep up with production for Bowling Green.
As a former top 10 GM Performance part dealer remember the release of the 502cubic inch 502HP engine released a part # for that engine a year and a half before availible, fyi.

·
Registered
902 Posts
tonto said:
Interesting, however making it work requires a ecm (engine control module) which should prove even more interesting as no one has cracked the codes on the current C6 ecm SNIP
Why wont a C5 ecm work? what is running the C5-R motors members are using?

Sabot

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sabot said:
Why wont a C5 ecm work? what is running the C5-R motors members are using?

Sabot
Correct, the 1997 thru 2004 ecm's are programable, as we installed a C5R engine with the correct heads which also requires a custom intake, only $1,500, and a major job as the valve covers are different and a hassle relocating the coils. Custom headers, it goes on and on.
The C5R block not that big a deal, and I gurantee these guys are using the C5R Block ONLY, with stock head design, doing the real deal with the C5R heads way different story, BELIEVE ME.
the C6 ecm different, and so far uncoded.
Don't get me wrong doable, just more prudent to buy a new Z as if you get involved with a LS7 retro-fit in a C5 will become a $$$$$ deal.
Beyond just the engine transplant, you will be making several changes to make it work correctly.
As a guestamite the engine, mostly complete probably 15K and start adding.
One of those hot rod deals, make one thing work, change 10 others to make it happen.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The LS7 crate engine will work with any aftermarket programmable ECM, C5/LS6 ECM or the race ECM available from Chevy. You may have problems putting in a C6 but not other cars.

In fact Chevy now makes a carburator intake manifold and will for the LS7 so you could even retrofit it into a a car and not need an ECM at all.

And the dry sump could be adapted very easily or swapped out for a wet sump.

The LS7 will be the SBC engine of choice.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Bold talk, will be interesting to here from someone that installs this engine in a C5 as in the C5/C6 business. Unfortunatly you seem to have no facts to back up this claim.
Fortunatly I do as this part # is not availible as a valid part #, and no price or history or anticipated date of availablity of it in GM's Trax parts locator, which as a few of GM Performance Parts deals form the past follow tradition.
As a engine part # does not come with a engine control module, none do.
and as a fact there is none, is there?
Yep a C5 with a Holley, PLEASE spare the thought.
This install is major sugerory please tell all involved with installing this engine, a stand alone ecm is the tip of the iceburg.
Bring a lot of patients and more $ than buying the real deal for a wanna be 2006 Z.
And will call my friend at GM on monday, which will be a dead end to this story.
PLEASE get verifiable info, not another rumor. As this one is.
The bottom line, (ain't nuthin like the real thing) baybee.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The Chevy ECM available that will work with the LS7 is:
Part # 12480054
and wiring harness:
Part # 12480055
This is the ASA Racing ECM

In addition ACCEL and F.A.S.T. and others have ECM's that will work as well.

The LS7 crate engine is externally the same as an LS1/LS2/LS6 engine except for the dry sump and relocation of the Knock Sensor. The Knock Sensor position can easily be rewired and you have the option of using the Dry Sump or not.

However as I said putting an LS7 into a C6 would be rather hard due to the ECM. The easiest conversion would be to swap out the '06 ECM for the ECM listed above

PACE and Scoggins Dickey ARE now listing the LS7 crate engine under the same part #. They are of course not available until August. It's not yet in the TRAK Parts listing but will be soon.

My source was a GM media pre release and verified from and by GM Corporate.

Note that there has been some discussion on how the Wixom engine plant could keep up with demand producing a hand built engine. Note that Chevy stated that each C6 Z06 LS7 would be hand assembled by one technician and signed off by that person. They have made NO such claim for crate engines.

The Carburated manifold is for retro fit into 50's, 60's and 70's and Hot Rod applications.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
DJ, as always, thank you for providing us with accurate, up-to-date information that we could use. As I am one of the folks who do not care for C6 styling - I am researching alternatives to upgrade the performance of a car that I do love the styling on. Many things must be taken into consideration for me - not the least of which is my budget.

BTW, just installed the Euro taillight kit from LAPD and also added the flush mount option. I believe the flush mount kit was your design? The parts fit great and were well made - really like the look on my EB..

:thumb:

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
tonto said:
Bold talk, will be interesting to here from someone that installs this engine in a C5 as in the C5/C6 business. Unfortunatly you seem to have no facts to back up this claim.
Fortunatly I do as this part # is not availible as a valid part #, and no price or history or anticipated date of availablity of it in GM's Trax parts locator, which as a few of GM Performance Parts deals form the past follow tradition.
As a engine part # does not come with a engine control module, none do.
and as a fact there is none, is there?
Yep a C5 with a Holley, PLEASE spare the thought.
This install is major sugerory please tell all involved with installing this engine, a stand alone ecm is the tip of the iceburg.
Bring a lot of patients and more $ than buying the real deal for a wanna be 2006 Z.
And will call my friend at GM on monday, which will be a dead end to this story.
PLEASE get verifiable info, not another rumor. As this one is.
The bottom line, (ain't nuthin like the real thing) baybee.
someone is very full of themselves... :puke:

·
Registered
174 Posts
DJWorm said:
He's full of something else.

Tonto was a good actor but never had his own show.
:D :D :D

The easiest way to get 500BHP in a C-5 342 CI motor has got to be just what we have been doing with the LS-1/6. Heads, cam, headers, forged parts, etc. for less money and no hastle with the install and tune. The parts in the LS-7 are great but not worth an engine swap. But, if you want a 427 spend a little more. Heck, most of the sleeved N.A. 427 motors I am familiar with put down 500rwhp plus or around 590BHP. Any guesses as to what the rwhp #'s will be for the LS-7?? 500 minus 15% is around 425rwhp. I'm sure it will be better than 425. KISS: "Keep it simple stupid" and you will be rewarded with reliability and longevity of the motor and car.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I also want to put the LS7 crate motor in my C5 Z06, while I use the LS6 for my street rod project. It's all great news for gearheads. :thumb:
Thanks DJ for the info.

·
Registered
179 Posts
As a forum, hey thats the deal. Sorry I don't take this litely as I do it for a living.
Transplanting engines in C5's is a ECM deal, so please be aware of that, before you do anything. As the saying goes, anything to good to be true, usually is. And to make it correct, hey its only money. yours

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
tonto said:
As a forum, hey thats the deal. Sorry I don't take this litely as I do it for a living.
Transplanting engines in C5's is a ECM deal, so please be aware of that, before you do anything. As the saying goes, anything to good to be true, usually is. And to make it correct, hey its only money. yours
I'm sorry my friend, but DJ's been around this forum a lot longer than you. His credentials are authentic (that, or he's one of the best fiction writers in the world. But I doubt this, since I've never seen his name on the NYT best seller's list. So I guess I've got to go with "authentic" afterall).

Given a choice between believing you or believing him, I can assure you that vast, vast majority of forum members are going to go with DJ, *that's* the deal!

Enjoy the forum, but when you disagree with someone, temper your posts so they don't read like a FU. Be cool, have fun, learn stuff. That's the name of the game here!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts