·
Banned
116 Posts
I have sen the blockes well over 800

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is really close to that I wanted to put a cam in and my shop turned me away because they said 1 i may lose hp 2 I might crack my block because the block can't handle much more power

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
Mine is really close to that I wanted to put a cam in and my shop turned me away because they said 1 i may lose hp 2 I might crack my block because the block can't handle much more power
Listen to your tuner. He is right, if you are close to 800rwhp on your LS7 you already have a potential blown engine.

Hard to believe anyone would recommend going 800+ on an LS7 engine :eek2:

Mike

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
No I have 651 rwhp the block is pushing close to 800hp
Gonna have to challenge your drive train loss numbers a bit, brutha.

That assumes a drive rain loss of almost 24%.

I think it's more like 13 to 15%.

Just my humble opinion.

Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm not sure but I know the dyno sheet says 651 rwhp the tuner said you lose about 20% so I'm not to sure since everyone says something different this why I'm asking everyone.maybe someone would know but then again I'm running 8.5 pounds of boost and a lot of people would say your nuts.So I guess there no real answer on what the ls7 can really handle. Lots of mixed reviews. All I know is mine is running strong and healthy at this range.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,813 Posts
Well I'm not sure but I know the dyno sheet says 651 rwhp the tuner said you lose about 20% so I'm not to sure since everyone says something different this why I'm asking everyone.maybe someone would know but then again I'm running 8.5 pounds of boost and a lot of people would say your nuts.So I guess there no real answer on what the ls7 can really handle. Lots of mixed reviews. All I know is mine is running strong and healthy at this range.
The whole purpose when designing the C5 was to reduce the drivetrain loss in using a transaxle (trannie/rear end combo)
GM as other nameplates has to have new car designed by the feds to certify the design for road use. GM specs had drivetrain loss around the 12%

The 20% rule would be pre C5s with automatic trannies.

Loss starting with C5 with manual trannie is closer to 12% loss and that would be at sealevel and about 65 degree weather

Shops like to jack those drivetrain losses up as that then makes their prices for mods look much better.
Add using a static non bearing chassis dyno with a 2,700 drum where car/driver is 3,400 Lbs plus and the numbers report even higher bogus numbers.

Then to bump their numbers even higher is jack up the corrected value for elevation, weather and customers leave thinking they got a lot more then what they really paid for.

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
I don't think you are nuts to run 8.5 lbs of boost on the LS7, but I do think there is an element of danger based upon results from others and I would not recommend it as a 'safe' amount of boost to someone asking for advice.

btw, when an engine 'blows' it rarely gives any early warning. It usually appears to be running '"strong and healthy" right up to the point of detonation. Doesn't mean yours 'will', it just means it 'could'....

Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya I've been lucky my D1 Procharger has been on it since the car was born in 2007 but I only have 21,000 miles on the car so it's still like new I'm sure some day it will pop and when that happens ill probably go with a lsx 427 iron block :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ya I've been lucky my D1 Procharger has been on it since the car was born in 2007 but I only have 21,000 miles on the car so it's still like new I'm sure some day it will pop and when that happens ill probably go with a lsx 427 iron block :)
same here running a D1 since 2007 car runes well and everything seems fine until now!! upgrading it next week with cam and clutch also will have some more and more goodies looking forward for 650whp :thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts