Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OKay, so I have seen recently that you can get a crate LS7 for about $12.5k - what else would one need to do in order to successfully transplant a new LS7 in my '03 ZO6?

What about the dry oil sump? Battery? Computer?

What about the trans and differential holding up with the increased power?

Wanting to maintain the stock appearance all the way through, what's the best way to beef up the brakes akin to the new beefier ones found on the new C6 ZO6?

How much could one get for the parts that I would take out? (LS6, trans, diff?)

I'm surprised I haven't seen more about this transplant already. Personally the C6 just isn't quite my cup of tea, but I love the new hand-built LS7 motor. I'm sure this is way more than I can think of off the top of my head but I'd love to see someone do this and if feasible, may even consider this myself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
dunno if it will fit the k member of a c5. dunno if you would be interested but i have a motor for sale tha twill make big power if your interested.
its an lt1 but its top of the line stuff. 1000rwhp street setup.
email me if interested

brook

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TriPinTaZ said:
for less then $12,500 you can make your c5 Z06 faster then an LS7 motor would. Maybe thats why its not a common subject?
Simple yet important reason why. Definately wouldn't be very cost effective as there are numerous and much less expensive alternatives to making your current Z06 go faster.

I wasn't nescessarily looking at speed as lets face it, on anything outside the racetrack you can't use all the 405hp in a responsible manner anyways. I was more so just thinking about a cool thing I'd like to see/have, as the C6's just don't interest me a great deal. Who knows, maybe in a year or two it'll grow on me and I'll consider just trading in or selling the old Z outright first.

$12.5k is a buttload of money for a crate motor from GM, but then again it's a pretty neat feat and seems like a bargain in a certain perspective. On the other hand, being able to get an LS2 for $5.5k just looks like all the more of a better deal! :D

·
Registered
581 Posts
Apparently (from LS1Tech) the crate motor doesn't include the ECU, ancillaries, and external oil tank and plumbing. Unclear, but things like the PS pump and other accessories may be different, at least in their mounts. Net...comments above are right. For far few $$$ you can have a stronger package.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Exactly, and all the different ancillary components will need to find a home in the old car, if the motor will even drop in to begin with.

Still, there will be a way, with written instructions from the guys who do it.

Maybe if the price of the LS7 crate comes down it'll be worth it. Nice motor, after all. :mug:

·
Registered
362 Posts
ST1100 said:
Exactly, and all the different ancillary components will need to find a home in the old car, if the motor will even drop in to begin with.

Still, there will be a way, with written instructions from the guys who do it.

Maybe if the price of the LS7 crate comes down it'll be worth it. Nice motor, after all. :mug:
Engine bolts in,same motor mounts,bellhouseing etc.But ALL electrical connections are different than a C5.Need a new PCM,relocate knock sensor loom etc.The C6 Z rear driveline is alot beefier than the C5.But as with any GM crate engine a 3 year,36000 mile warenty comes with it.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I was also thinking about an LS7 retro-fit up to a few weeks ago - but now it is off the table. Like many here, I am not thrilled with the C6 styling, much prefer our FRC style. Reasons I rejected the LS7 approach:

1. Basic motor will be priced at least well into the $13k range plus very limited availablilty may drive price up even further;
2. As mentioned previously, a lot of required ancillary equipment will NOT be included for that price;
3. Issues surrounding whether motor must utilize dry sump (of which some components are not supplied with the engine) or can go wet sump;
4. LS7 will use math based PCM as opposed to table driven PCM - it will likely be quite a while before the programming will be figured out; and
5. Probably a host of other unknowns to deal with.. :(

My solution, buy an LS2 block and send it to Steve Demerjian in Cali to have it dry sleeved. Steve is a co-designer of the Darton system and is offering an extremely strong well engineered LS2 block for about $2800. I have chatted with him about this approach, and he is literally one of three folks in the country who know how to do sleeving correctly - he did some of LPE's sleeved motors. Check his thread out on LS1Tech forum.

Utilize AFR 225 heads and other appropriate high quality valvetrain and rotating assembly components to build an emissions legal, 550-575 h/p motor. I have discussed this a bit with ECS and will be talking to them more about it at Carlisle. :yeadog:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The engine swap was discussed on the other side of the forum when the C6 Z was debuted. At this point, I don't recall exactly what the GM Powertrain guy that did the excellent presentation said was required, but it was possible, and the material is probably in the archives.

The operant word was 'possible,' not 'easy.'

·
Registered
380 Posts
rwd said:
The engine swap was discussed on the other side of the forum when the C6 Z was debuted. At this point, I don't recall exactly what the GM Powertrain guy that did the excellent presentation said was required, but it was possible, and the material is probably in the archives.

The operant word was 'possible,' not 'easy.'
Do you have any other sort of info on this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts