Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Many current C5/C5 Z06 owners have been debating the purchase of a new C6 Z06 or retrofitting the LS7 into their current cars.

However lessons learned from the LS2, have shown us that minor things have changed and need to be addressed. For instance an LS2 can be retrofitted but the Knock Sensors and Cam Sensors, being relocated, must be rewired. NBD.

However this picture shows a possible more involved problem on the LS7:
http://gm.wieck.com/forms/gm/previewpage?024296

Notice the 58x tooth reluctor wheel?

The LS1/LS6 has a 24x system.

·
21,386 Posts
So that would be a problem unless you wanted to change the entire PCM and then what other problems would you encounter?

I think if I ever upgrade to a 427 I would go with Katech engine. :jammin:

·
Registered
765 Posts
There is the slight issue of the PCM, the dry sump system, the cooling requirements, and the harnesses as well.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
DJWorm said:
Many current C5/C5 Z06 owners have been debating the purchase of a new C6 Z06 or retrofitting the LS7 into their current cars.

However lessons learned from the LS2, have shown us that minor things have changed and need to be addressed. For instance an LS2 can be retrofitted but the Knock Sensors and Cam Sensors, being relocated, must be rewired. NBD.

However this picture shows a possible more involved problem on the LS7:
http://gm.wieck.com/forms/gm/previewpage?024296

Notice the 58x tooth reluctor wheel?

The LS1/LS6 has a 24x system.
Just a novice here so please forgive me for my simplicity. Does the reluctor wheel coupled with some sort of pick-up supply the computer crankshaft location/position and then in turn tell the coils when to fire? It is also odd that the new reluctor wheel has 58 teeth vs 24. Again being simplistic, the 24 tooth wheel would supply 4 data locations per cylinder and the 58 tooth would supply 7 data locations with two left over. Maybe TDC and BDC on number one cylinder. Feel free to crush me like a small ant if I'm all wet on this. I really don't know but curious.

D.J.

I have seen race style LS series engine's use a front belt driven distributor ala race engine. Looked like a MSD set up to me.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The other option woild be to tear down the crate engine and install a 24x reluctor, if necessary.

Might be the way to go if you were also going to install forged pistons, knife edge the crank, balance the internals and do the heads and cam as well.

QuickCoupe: Yes, the reluctor wheel is a crank trigger for the ignition and PCM

·
Registered
875 Posts
Actually, the 58x reluctor wheel is sort of an industry
standard. It allows for 3 degree positioning by pulse
and finer positioning by time increment.

58x is actually a 60 tooth wheel, with two of the "teeth"
filed off. (missing toofus :rofl: )

The computer sees pulses on both the rising and falling edges
of every tooth, then when it notices that the time between
those pulses is GT 3x the average, it knows that the next
pulse is the "zero" indicator for crankshaft position. By using
the last time between pulses and setting up a timer, you can
easily get to 0.1 degree accuracy in engine fuel and spark
events.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts