Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, any of you know any M3's that can keep up with a stock Z. My friend was going on about how he knows the fastest M3's in the west coast and ther saying that they can easily take a stock Z06. I told him set up a race. So he brings on the first guy, his M3 was supercharged and was dynoed at nearly 400 to the wheels. He said he took turbos easilly so i was kinda curious on how fast it was so i decided to race him. He was having som traction problems on first gear so he said that i might take him off the launch, Anyway i raced him 2 times first one off the role and the second one from a stop. i beat him both times.

The second M3 that i raced was featured in a magazine for being the fastest naturally aspirated M3 out there, they tested the car and got 12.2 @ 114 and 0 - 60 in 3.9.
I met up with the guy and both races were from a launch, i took him both times, he said he was having some problems wihthis car, claiming 30 hp loss, so were going to have a rematch soon.
I have vids of both M3's
So tell me, does anyone know af any M3's hat can take a stock Z. Both of these M3's invested more then 20 grand into there car so i wonder how much more money they need to take a Z.
thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
FlosyZ06 said:
Hey guys, any of you know any M3's that can keep up with a stock Z. My friend was going on about how he knows the fastest M3's in the west coast and ther saying that they can easily take a stock Z06. I told him set up a race. So he brings on the first guy, his M3 was supercharged and was dynoed at nearly 400 to the wheels. He said he took turbos easilly so i was kinda curious on how fast it was so i decided to race him. He was having som traction problems on first gear so he said that i might take him off the launch, Anyway i raced him 2 times first one off the role and the second one from a stop. i beat him both times.

The second M3 that i raced was featured in a magazine for being the fastest naturally aspirated M3 out there, they tested the car and got 12.2 @ 114 and 0 - 60 in 3.9.
I met up with the guy and both races were from a launch, i took him both times, he said he was having some problems wihthis car, claiming 30 hp loss, so were going to have a rematch soon.
I have vids of both M3's
So tell me, does anyone know af any M3's hat can take a stock Z. Both of these M3's invested more then 20 grand into there car so i wonder how much more money they need to take a Z.
thanks guys.
Nice kills....Please Keep up the good work. :usa: :usa:

Don't know why any idiot would drop $20 large on a ///M3 - pearls before swine. The ///M3 is a nice car but, as I mention below, it not supercar like the Corvette Z06. :usa:

Please please lets all stop wasting time with discussions around nasty uhber Kraut ///M3s. Everyone knows a ///M3 is a much slower car than a Z06. Why? Its heavier at 3,500 lbs, has a whiny 3.0 liter inline six, has no torque below 5,000 rpm, and has a drag coefficient of a large red brick. They are fun cars, well made , look nice. They are a blast to drive. However, at the end of the day, they are grossly overpriced 3-series sports-sedans. They are NOT serious balls-to-the wall sports cars. Period. While ///M3s do many things well and handle well right out of the box, they are no where near the level of performance of a stock - much less a highly-modded - Z06 Corvette.

While I have no idea how much money it would take to get an ///M3 to beat a stock Z06, if I look at Wt/hp ratings, the Z06 has a Wt/hp ratio of 7.69 (3,115 lbs/405 bhp) and the ///M3 has a Wt/hp ratio of 10.51 (3,500 lbs/333 hp). Applyling some simple algenra, for the ///M3 to have the same Wt/hp ratio, it would need at least 455.06 crankshaft horsepower and 432 lb-ft of torque - in other words it owuld need to be seriously supercharged, turbocharged or bored and stroked to attain the same levels of performance as a stock Z06 And this math assumes all of the factors such as Cd, gear ratios, tire size, etc are the same... May want to call Dinan in California and ask him what i takes to get an ///M3 to perform like an American supercar... I'd guess at least $30k-40k and who'd buy a $90k ///M3??? :coo:

For an ///M3 to take on my 427 C5R and stay with me, he'd need to have >=731 bhp and a much different engine. I don't think the Germans make a six banger that generates 731 bhp at the crank...

Chevy, i.e., Dave Hill, was aiming for the 911 Turbo Carerra when he engineered the Z06 - a Porsche costing twice as much as a Z06 and twice as much as an ///M3. This is a well-documented fact. Hill hit the target since a Z06 will compete easily against a 911 Turbo and is a lot more value for the money. I have a Z06 which cost me roughly $110k and I don't even bother with ///M3s as they just waste my time and my gas...they taste like white meat chicken to a Z06.

·
Registered
24 Posts
FlosyZ06 said:

I have vids of both M3's
thanks guys.

Woah there. This is Vik the guy you raced with the SC M3. Relax a bit, you raced me only off of 1st gear. 2nd race was from a launch and i didnt even launch. You have Drag Tires, very big difference when racing in low gears. I am on bald street tires. I had my gears changed before the SC to shortger gears, they gave me a disadvantage with the SC. I just changed back to longer gears and the car is completely different. Your car is not stock. You have an exhaust and DR's. Again DR's are a big advantage. I can easily walk a stock Z06. Im on your trunk in both races even though you had complete traction in both races and the jump. I had very short gears and no traction. Imagine my car with traction and longer gears. Also the fact that we ended the race when i started to pull says something. I have almost more HP to the wheels then a Z06 has to the crank. Remember im on low boost still, pump gas and street tires. My boost will go up soon, be prepared. We'll have a rematch soon. Again I thought this was a friendly race but it appears to be not.

The other M3 i dont care and dont know whats up with it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
ScDFACHE said:
Nice kills....Please Keep up the good work. :usa: :usa:

Don't know why any idiot would drop $20 large on a ///M3 - pearls before swine. The ///M3 is a nice car but, as I mention below, it not supercar like the Corvette Z06. :usa:

Please please lets all stop wasting time with discussions around nasty uhber Kraut ///M3s. Everyone knows a ///M3 is a much slower car than a Z06. Why? Its heavier at 3,500 lbs, has a whiny 3.0 liter inline six, has no torque below 5,000 rpm, and has a drag coefficient of a large red brick. They are fun cars, well made , look nice. They are a blast to drive. However, at the end of the day, they are grossly overpriced 3-series sports-sedans. They are NOT serious balls-to-the wall sports cars. Period. While ///M3s do many things well and handle well right out of the box, they are no where near the level of performance of a stock - much less a highly-modded - Z06 Corvette.

While I have no idea how much money it would take to get an ///M3 to beat a stock Z06, if I look at Wt/hp ratings, the Z06 has a Wt/hp ratio of 7.69 (3,115 lbs/405 bhp) and the ///M3 has a Wt/hp ratio of 10.51 (3,500 lbs/333 hp). Applyling some simple algenra, for the ///M3 to have the same Wt/hp ratio, it would need at least 455.06 crankshaft horsepower and 432 lb-ft of torque - in other words it owuld need to be seriously supercharged, turbocharged or bored and stroked to attain the same levels of performance as a stock Z06 And this math assumes all of the factors such as Cd, gear ratios, tire size, etc are the same... May want to call Dinan in California and ask him what i takes to get an ///M3 to perform like an American supercar... I'd guess at least $30k-40k and who'd buy a $90k ///M3??? :coo:

For an ///M3 to take on my 427 C5R and stay with me, he'd need to have >=731 bhp and a much different engine. I don't think the Germans make a six banger that generates 731 bhp at the crank...

Chevy, i.e., Dave Hill, was aiming for the 911 Turbo Carerra when he engineered the Z06 - a Porsche costing twice as much as a Z06 and twice as much as an ///M3. This is a well-documented fact. Hill hit the target since a Z06 will compete easily against a 911 Turbo and is a lot more value for the money. I have a Z06 which cost me roughly $110k and I don't even bother with ///M3s as they just waste my time and my gas...they taste like white meat chicken to a Z06.
Your an idiot.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
gotta watch out for some of those previous gen m3's. with new internals and a turbo they can get pretty nasty :yeadog: anyone seen dado's (guy from the mischeif dvds). its pretty stout.

·
Registered
24 Posts
wallyman424 said:
gotta watch out for some of those previous gen m3's. with new internals and a turbo they can get pretty nasty :yeadog: anyone seen dado's (guy from the mischeif dvds). its pretty stout.
Thats the spirit, i didnt come over here to talk crap. Just to back myself up. I dont see why the negative spirit towards other cars, such as an M3. M3 and Z06 are much different cars. Z06 in every sense is a better performance car stock wise. Lighter, more power. Either way give props where its due.

B/c of that point i would like to again say ScDFACHE is an idiot.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
m3 no chance against stock zo6.

A supercharged one would give it a better run.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
FlosyZ06, NIce kills :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Neither of these cars are at it's best in an all out drag race. That puts just one of they're capabilities to test. A better comparison is on a road course where both are at they're best. I think the M3 handles very well on the twisties. I played with one last year at a DE. The guy was a good sport and we really had a good time barreling around the track. I was on stock Goodyears and have just intake and exhaust mods. He was also fairly stock but I'm not sure what tires he was running. My experience on High speed road courses is limited and I'm no expert by any means. He started a couple of cars ahead of me one session so he had a good head start that time. I was able to gain on him noticeably in the straights but only very slightly in the turns if at all. My inexperience was made up for by the power of the Z06. He was one of the most capable of the street cars that I ran with that weekend. We had a hell of a lot of fun running against each other and I think he was a better driver but the M3 just didn't have the power of the Z06. An M5 would have been a handfull for me.

Pat

·
Registered
372 Posts
Like my M3's with relish and mustard.

Just kidding........A great car but not built for the same purpose. I came real close to getting one for the wife ( so I could drive it once in awhile).

I have alot of respect for the older M3's on the road courses, good drivers can wheel these to and ahead of Zo6 times on the tighter tracks. I have not seen a new one run as hard as the older ones yet. Maybe not alot of folks really willing to beat on the new ones yet.

My street racing days are over...but in my day

Woulda shoulda coulda ?.......If the Z owner has to spend $282 on a set of tires and a M3 spends $20k in mods and the Z wins outright. Who won?, if this, if that is not where it it was in my day. It is, what it is, or don't bring it.

I lost an 1/8 mile race to a stock Cuda 383 with a two barrel and 4:56 gears and cheaters vs. my mega buck tunnel ram windsor .......I learned quite a lesson that day. I had him by over 100 hp and 400 lbs. The Cuda spent about $300 in those days and I spent $3,000. Same story, just updated.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
i think most will agree that the new m3's arent as mod friendly as the previous generations. i also think all the electronic wizardry (smg and the like) have made modifications much more complicated. :guiness: The E30 M3 with the S14 motor (derived from F1 racing) is my all out favorite. I'll probably get one in a few years.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have no clue what you guys are comparing...a sedan to a sports car. What a waste of a topic. Get real people. You can't compare a M3 to a Z06. Even a built M3 would be a battle for a stock Z06 with DRs...however a close one. When I see timeslips that is when I will believe a race. Street racing in Cali is beyond stupid considering the police here will impound your car and junk it. :screwy: Anyways if you guys want a really race get a car that has the same HP/weight ratio with the same traction. That will be a race. You can't get a S/C M3 with bald tires racing a stock Z06 (even with exhst. ...big deal 6 rwhp if that) with DRs. DRs are insane and that isn't fair...The M3 will probably smoke the tires until 70mph before it gets traction (unless you know how to drive). Just to say...I have 719 rwhp with streets and I'm hitting 10.67 in the 1/4 (Super Chevy Pomona Drag) on street radials, not DRs. Im scared I'll break my rear end with DRs with that much rwhp.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Vik im not talkin trash about you or M3's i think ther nice all around cars, even though theyre not in the same league as a Z06,. I give your car major props but as far as how it was running that day we raced; no traction and your gearing, i dont think you would have pulled on me. Ya the race was pretty close i was impressed, but i still think i would have taken you no matter how many times we raced. If you put back your stock gears and solve your traction problem then your car should shine to its potential.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good comments by BlownZR, Z06Machine.

Major issue here is traction and gearing for me. The races were done off of 1st gear. Once a roll and once a lauch. Both times i lost major traction, that caused me to go to 2nd immediately. My gears were shortened before the SC, thus causing my 2nd gear to even fly by. This is when the Z06 actually pulled, it never even really pulled on me. Like i said i was on his trunk till the end of the 3rd where i would finaly start to pull.

The fact that you say you cant pull on me is a joke. Once again i have more HP then you have crank. Your car weighs prob 300lbs less then mine. Your drag tires gave you a complete advantage in the low gears. Im surprised i even stayed on you in 1st and 2nd, shows how fast my car is compared to yours. Once again im on low boost, street tires, pump gas and shorter gears. Next time we race i will be sure to make it unfair for you this time.

Im not doing this for a Z06 hating rampage. I love the car, its just some people dont have the right attitude with their fast cars.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The fact that an M3 owner is bickering and making excuses for himself on a ZO6 site is hilarious. If you lose a race, you lose. If the winner chooses to talk trash afterwards, you can just be a man and deal with it. Like ZO6Machine said: it is what it is or don't bring it at all. No excuses.

·
Registered
119 Posts
funny stuff. both are great cars. i almost bought an m3 vert over my z06. run what you brung. different day, different results. i hope both of you guys keep the mods coming!! :coo:

·
Registered
24 Posts
kechen22 said:
The fact that an M3 owner is bickering and making excuses for himself on a ZO6 site is hilarious. If you lose a race, you lose. If the winner chooses to talk trash afterwards, you can just be a man and deal with it. Like ZO6Machine said: it is what it is or don't bring it at all. No excuses.

Yet another hardass ZO6 owner. :roll:

Some of the guys posted have shown a good deal of understanding, some are still acting like children.

I simply came on this thread to back my own car up. The thread starter claimed his car was stock. That was false information. Second he is stating that his car is faster then mine. There is no chance on earth his car is faster then my car. A lose is a lose i agree, but its different when he actually thinks he has the world's fastest car. Its also different when the race has a COMPLETE advantage towards the already lighter, more displacement car. Different if you guys knew the real person behind the computer.

My car's tuning is still at its initial stages. Remember its 10x times harder to mod a BMW then a Vette. There is only a handful FI E46 M3's in the world including mine. Im still on generic tuning, low boost and other things need changing. My car is at a very reliable 400whp. I can easily get it up to 500whp soon. And if i get to power hungry ill look to rebuild and go up to 600whp. But again this is all difficult compared to such vehicle likes of the ZO6.

Also my friend owns a Procharged ZO6 by A & A, amazing car!

·
Registered
41 Posts
AAM3 said:
Yet another hardass ZO6 owner. :roll:
My car's tuning is still at its initial stages.
Remember its 10x times harder to mod a BMW then a Vette.
Im still on generic tuning, low boost and other things need changing.
To your earlier point, I agree it's bad form to trash the ///M3...with them and the ///M5 it's usually the owner that's problematic. :)

The only thing more fun on the road courses than reeling in an ///M3 or the occasional ///M5 is passing them when they won't point me by.

And they rarely point, they just keep on driving (slowly) and hope maybe I'll pit out and spare their feelings.

Gotta love that frustrated look on the driver's face in the rearview mirror, quickly fading away... :rofl:

·
Registered
632 Posts
AAM3- I don't understand what is transpiring here. Why in the hell would you care enough about losing a race to go troll around the internet with your tail between your legs looking to restore your honor (i.e. "back my car up")? It was a race, you lost, big deal, life goes on, end of story. Do you make so many excuses when you win? I wish I had as much empty time on my hands as you do. Your M3 sounds sweet, but geez man...get a girl or something. :screwy:

1 - 20 of 128 Posts