Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Who of this two cars are fastest?
The z06 have more nm and the m5 has more hp!

here is the stats!

m5 = 507hp and 520nm and should do 0-200 on 13 seconds weight 1755kg!

Thanks / Eneland

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Need a four seat sports sedan? Decide between the M5 or the Cadillac CTS V series...(400 hp) 50 grand six speed killer..

Want a two seat sleek sports car? C5 Z06 is a hell of a car.

3100 lbs....405 hp stock...six speed manual priced quite well.

I'd chose the c5 Z06 but at a Corvette Z06 site would anyone expect anything less?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I think they would be close. The E60 is a very impressive automobile. I can't wait to see those motors prove themselves for the long haul.

Alex

·
Registered
996 Posts
JBsZ06 said:
Need a four seat sports sedan? Decide between the M5 or the Cadillac CTS V series...(400 hp) 50 grand six speed killer..
Don't forget he's in Sweden! I'm guessing import taxes will rape him good for a CTS-V :(

Though it might still compare favorably against the new M5's price!

:cheers:
Geoff

·
Registered
996 Posts
2002Z06Yellow said:
Sorry but the Z wins this!
Wins what?

My biggest annoyance with BMW's M series (be it M3 or M5) is that they position themselves where they can't possibly lose...

When you compare them to a car that's more of a pure sports car, like the vette or the Viper, the argument is "oh but I need back seats", "I need it to get grocery", "I need an interior that's better than a Cavalier".

But when you compare them to Mercedes Benz or other cars which might be considered better at the above presented excuses, the arguments then become "oh but the M3/M5 is more of a pure sports car".

Basically playing it both ways... Making it impossible to lose the "oh my god THIS IS the best car in the world" contest :)

Both M5's and vettes are kickass cars at what they do, but subjective arguments can easily be made (ad nauseum) that the M5 is better in many ways.

The moral of my whole diatribe isn't to slam you 2002Z06Yellow, but rather is to let you know I've personally given up to say our Z06 is better than car X. :D

Come to think of it, I'm actually surprised anybody's genuinely cross-shopping both!!!

All the best,

Geoff

P.S.: Eneland, actually your question can easily be answered... By definition the fastest car will be the one with the highest top speed. Z06's have a stock top speed of 171mph (176 for C5 coupe). What is it for the new M5, provided there is no speed-limiter?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Jofu said:
Wins what?

My biggest annoyance with BMW's M series (be it M3 or M5) is that they position themselves where they can't possibly lose...

When you compare them to a car that's more of a pure sports car, like the vette or the Viper, the argument is "oh but I need back seats", "I need it to get grocery", "I need an interior that's better than a Cavalier".

But when you compare them to Mercedes Benz or other cars which might be considered better at the above presented excuses, the arguments then become "oh but the M3/M5 is more of a pure sports car".

Basically playing it both ways... Making it impossible to lose the "oh my god THIS IS the best car in the world" contest :)

Both M5's and vettes are kickass cars at what they do, but subjective arguments can easily be made (ad nauseum) that the M5 is better in many ways.

The moral of my whole diatribe isn't to slam you 2002Z06Yellow, but rather is to let you know I've personally given up to say our Z06 is better than car X. :D

Come to think of it, I'm actually surprised anybody's genuinely cross-shopping both!!!

All the best,

Geoff

P.S.: Eneland, actually your question can easily be answered... By definition the fastest car will be the one with the highest top speed. Z06's have a stock top speed of 171mph (176 for C5 coupe). What is it for the new M5, provided there is no speed-limiter?

I agree with you on that its not a straight comparison, but 2002Z06Yellow said Z06 wins because it was mentioned from the start about 1/4 mile times, and the Z06 does win in the 1/4 :D and with the M5 governed at 155mph the Z06 still wins, and dont tell me about the governor excuse, because 90% of M5 owners wont take off the governor so the Z06 still wins :pp: oh I forgot about cornering, the M5 would be further away, but none the less the M5 is my favorite four door car in the world period :thumb:

·
Registered
996 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
I agree with you on that its not a straight comparison, but 2002Z06Yellow said Z06 wins because it was mentioned from the start about 1/4 mile times, and the Z06 does win in the 1/4 :D and with the M5 governed at 155mph the Z06 still wins, and dont tell me about the governor excuse, because 90% of M5 owners wont take off the governor so the Z06 still wins :pp: oh I forgot about cornering, the M5 would be further away, but none the less the M5 is my favorite four door car in the world period :thumb:
Oh, and do share your thoughts :)

I did read somewhere the new M5 was doing the Nurburgring in 7:52. Whether that claim is for an 100% stock M5 I don't know, but if true that's 4 seconds faster than the Z06!!! So much for our better handling :(

Geoff

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Jofu said:
Oh, and do share your thoughts :)

I did read somewhere the new M5 was doing the Nurburgring in 7:52. Whether that claim is for an 100% stock M5 I don't know, but if true that's 4 seconds faster than the Z06!!! So much for our better handling :(

Geoff

WOW!! thats impressive :eek:o: , I was figuring by what the magazines estimate ect. It must be $ell of suspension work on it, the power doesnt make up for the wieght it carries to run with the Z06, but then again it handles better :-? , whatever it is, Its a bada$$ car, always was and the new one its even faster :pp: :thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its so a friend of my had the new m5 e60 and i have a z06 -03 on his way to sweden!
The m5 is fast very fast! and the smg shifter is badass! it switch gear at about 0.30 seconds! but the Z going 0-60 mph at about 4.0? and the M5 on 4.6! it doesnt matter who is the best car, the thing is that i wone know if I beat him =P from 0-60 and 0/402m? and from 60/120mph? my car has a borla exhaust on it!

Thanks /Eneland

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Eneland said:
Its so a friend of my had the new m5 e60 and i have a z06 -03 on his way to sweden!
The m5 is fast very fast! and the smg shifter is badass! it switch gear at about 0.30 seconds! but the Z going 0-60 mph at about 4.0? and the M5 on 4.6! it doesnt matter who is the best car, the thing is that i wone know if I beat him =P from 0-60 and 0/402m? and from 60/120mph? my car has a borla exhaust on it!

Thanks /Eneland
race him from 40mph in second and let the faster car win

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
2002Z06Yellow said:

Eneland, make sure you're in 2nd gear and TC off, and you'll see what our Z06s are all about :jammin: :cheers: but lets us know , we're curious :cheers:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
Eneland, make sure you're in 2nd gear and TC off, and you'll see what our Z06s are all about :jammin: :cheers: but lets us know , we're curious :cheers:
:yeadog: :yeadog:

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
2002Z06Yellow said:
Don't you love the unleashing of the Z at 40 mph in 2nd (or better yet, 50 mph)... :jammin: ..My favorite gear to race from.. :ity:

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Zlicious said:
Don't you love the unleashing of the Z at 40 mph in 2nd (or better yet, 50 mph)... :jammin: ..My favorite gear to race from.. :ity:
2nd gear in a Z06 is VERY short, and in the lower rpms is just as fast as 1st(almost). Therefore if you start from second(especially at a low rpm) and you ask anythign next to you to go from second you will at LEAST get the jump. Anything but a bike.

If you start racing in second and by mid of third you dont have a car by then you are toast. Becuase 2-3 is much quicker than 3-4 so if you dont do real damage in the first couple of seconds its gonna be tough.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Eneland said:
Who of this two cars are fastest?
The z06 have more nm and the m5 has more hp!

here is the stats!

m5 = 507hp and 520nm and should do 0-200 on 13 seconds weight 1755kg!

Thanks / Eneland
For the price of a ///M5 I can by a new Mallett CTS-V with over 800 bhp at the rear wheels which will ingest anything from Europe. Lets not forget that Germany started and lost two wars. I argue that we should not be buying their cars...ever. :)

For the money, I'll take the Z06 or the CTS-V. The ///M5 is overpriced for what it is although it is a nice car. If BMW can keep the price constant on the new V8 powered ///M3, that might be a car to look at...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Interesting thread....

I am on the list for a new E60 M5, and returned my E39 M5 last November. Now I am in a new CTS-V. Of course there is the 01 Z06 too....

Having ridden in a new M3 with the SMG shifter on the road course, I can tell you its as close to "cheating" as you can get. Smooth, precise shifts every time.

As far as who would win, well dont underestimate the new V10 with its 507 HP 8200 RPM shift points and seven (7) speed trans.

Still trying to find the 800 RWHP Mallet CTS-V for the same $$....

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
bbunting said:
Interesting thread....

I am on the list for a new E60 M5, and returned my E39 M5 last November. Now I am in a new CTS-V. Of course there is the 01 Z06 too....

Having ridden in a new M3 with the SMG shifter on the road course, I can tell you its as close to "cheating" as you can get. Smooth, precise shifts every time.

As far as who would win, well dont underestimate the new V10 with its 507 HP 8200 RPM shift points and seven (7) speed trans.

Still trying to find the 800 RWHP Mallet CTS-V for the same $$....
Call Chuck Mallett of Mallett Cars in Berea, Ohio. He makes a CTS-V with a 427 C5R and a Vortech blower. Of "just" a 427 C5R. About $90k as I recall for the blown version... Very very fast. Awesome Alcon brakes, and Mallett's renowned handling... I think its actually making 850 rwhp but check out the Mallettcars web site and see. Its been awhile since I looked. I met a guy that got a ride in Mallett's black CTS-V and he said it was a truly awesome car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts