Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Whereas I can't answer the actual MAF/screen question, I CAN say that anyone who's waiting to put a Blackwing in the car ought to stop waiting, and just get it done, 'cause the airbox/intake is a MUST-DO (regardless of what kind of MAF it's flowing air into). The aftermarket airbox set-up will not become obsolete with changes to the MAF.

-Kirk

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
After (4) GMS MAF's I will tell you that your car will be faster and make more power with the stock MAF, I have seen it on the dyno, I read in Sport Truck that they did a dyno test last month on a 2500 pickup and changed the GMS MAF and lost power, spend it on something else. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
267 Posts
At a recent corvette club meeting we had the chief engineer on the LS6 engine go over the 02 vs 01 engine. According to him, the removal of the screen gave almost 2 hp to the motor, the new air filter cover almost 3 hp, the removal of the precats were worth about 7 hp and the new cam/heads/valves accounted for the rest. Zippy can correct me if my memory has slipped, but that is what I remembered.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Just punch out the screen don't waste money on the aftermarket piece. Also I don't think there is any difference in '01 vs '02 except no screen.
Save your money for exhaust cat removal instead.

·
Registered
561 Posts
On 2001-08-01 18:19, hcvone spewed forth this drivel:
After (4) GMS MAF's I will tell you that your car will be faster and make more power with the stock MAF, I have seen it on the dyno, I read in Sport Truck that they did a dyno test last month on a 2500 pickup and changed the GMS MAF and lost power, spend it on something else. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

How is this possible?????

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Don't just punch out the stock screen. If you do that you'll be left with a step inside the bore of the MAF. Either get some of Halltech's MAF ends, or bust out with the dremel tool, and smooth it out.

I was looking at pulling my MAF screen the other day, and decided not to when I saw that.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I was also planning on punching out my screen. I was told this is the way to go. Anyone out there punch out the screen and had any trouble??

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
On 2001-08-02 09:57, SteveYelloZ06 spewed forth this drivel:

On 2001-08-01 18:19, hcvone spewed forth this drivel:

How is this possible?????

Probably because it does not read the air coming accross the wires and "report" it correctly to the computer.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I have punched out screen on my fbody and vette's and always picked up power with no problems and about 3 minutes of minimal work.
If you already have an aftermarket airbox removing the screen helps alot since it is the next large restriction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.