Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us with the 01's, and want to take the screen out of the MAF. Would it better to get the Granateli MAF Sensor or the '02 Z06 MAF Sensor? What do you think?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm interested in this too, as I'm fixing to slap a Donaldson on mine. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ChrisG

·
Registered
35 Posts
Me too. I have debated this for a month. What do we do.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Whereas I can't answer the actual MAF/screen question, I CAN say that anyone who's waiting to put a Blackwing in the car ought to stop waiting, and just get it done, 'cause the airbox/intake is a MUST-DO (regardless of what kind of MAF it's flowing air into). The aftermarket airbox set-up will not become obsolete with changes to the MAF.

-Kirk

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
After (4) GMS MAF's I will tell you that your car will be faster and make more power with the stock MAF, I have seen it on the dyno, I read in Sport Truck that they did a dyno test last month on a 2500 pickup and changed the GMS MAF and lost power, spend it on something else. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
267 Posts
At a recent corvette club meeting we had the chief engineer on the LS6 engine go over the 02 vs 01 engine. According to him, the removal of the screen gave almost 2 hp to the motor, the new air filter cover almost 3 hp, the removal of the precats were worth about 7 hp and the new cam/heads/valves accounted for the rest. Zippy can correct me if my memory has slipped, but that is what I remembered.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Just punch out the screen don't waste money on the aftermarket piece. Also I don't think there is any difference in '01 vs '02 except no screen.
Save your money for exhaust cat removal instead.

·
Registered
561 Posts
On 2001-08-01 18:19, hcvone spewed forth this drivel:
After (4) GMS MAF's I will tell you that your car will be faster and make more power with the stock MAF, I have seen it on the dyno, I read in Sport Truck that they did a dyno test last month on a 2500 pickup and changed the GMS MAF and lost power, spend it on something else. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

How is this possible?????

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Don't just punch out the stock screen. If you do that you'll be left with a step inside the bore of the MAF. Either get some of Halltech's MAF ends, or bust out with the dremel tool, and smooth it out.

I was looking at pulling my MAF screen the other day, and decided not to when I saw that.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I was also planning on punching out my screen. I was told this is the way to go. Anyone out there punch out the screen and had any trouble??

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
On 2001-08-02 09:57, SteveYelloZ06 spewed forth this drivel:

On 2001-08-01 18:19, hcvone spewed forth this drivel:

How is this possible?????

Probably because it does not read the air coming accross the wires and "report" it correctly to the computer.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I have punched out screen on my fbody and vette's and always picked up power with no problems and about 3 minutes of minimal work.
If you already have an aftermarket airbox removing the screen helps alot since it is the next large restriction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts