Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking going with a forged lower end, blower cam, and heads to get my comp. ratio down to the 9:1 ballpark. Then strapping a an I/C Mag on top (they look so friggin' mean) and run about 12lbs of boost. At a 9:1 ratio and a forged lower end

·
Registered
230 Posts
Check with Magnuson on the capability of their SC. Every unit has a limit to its efficiency and spinning it faster doesn't necessarily mean you'll get better performance or more boost. Also, a small pulley on the SC drive makes belt slippage more of an issue. Just food for thought.

Later .. .Larry S.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I also would be interested in hearing your results.

·
Premium Member
5,101 Posts
I don't think you can get 12 #s out of a mag. Reducing pulley size to get more boost will only heat up air temp reducing effecency. A mag (stock) get 5-6 #s with a 3.4 pully reducing pulley size by .1 will get you about 1# of boost. I went from a 3.4 to 3.2 resulting in a increase from 5.5 to 7.3.

Read this ===>> Click here

George

·
Banned
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For some reason it didnt post my whole post..... Here's what the rest of what I said...... "I'm thinking going with a forged lower end, blower cam, and heads to get my comp. ratio down to the 9:1 ballpark. Then strapping a an I/C Mag on top (they look so friggin' mean) and run about 12lbs of boost. At a 9:1 ratio and a forged lower end, I think this engine can handle that much boost without any worry, but how do you guys think the Mag would stand up to that much strain? And the power, I'm guessing high 700's at the crank.... From what I've read, every lb. of boost gives you around 30rwhp. What do you guys think?"

·
Banned
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Black_Magic said:
I don't think you can get 12 #s out of a mag. Reducing pulley size to get more boost will only heat up air temp reducing effecency. A mag (stock) get 5-6 #s with a 3.4 pully reducing pulley size by .1 will get you about 1# of boost. I went from a 3.4 to 3.2 resulting in a increase from 5.5 to 7.3.

Read this ===>> Click here

George

Great read..... thanx. In your opinion, for a street monster, would you guys perfer a mag or a centrifical blower?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Magnuson does not recommend that much boost from their unit's. They aren't really designed for that much. If you want that much, you may want to wait until the Belle blower hits the market. IMO :cheers:

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
There is no way you'll get 700hp (crank) from the smallish M90 Eaton blower that Magnuson uses. Your built bottom end would take it, but the Eaton compressor is too small and just can't pump the air you're hoping to get through that motor.

However, there is a guy on here who said he has a 383ci stroker and sees 10# from his I/C Mag... I believe it drops back down to ~8psi over 6000rpm, though (again, proving that the compressor is too small to get all the potential out of the setup). He's making over 550rwhp, though, which is _excellent_!! I haven't heard anyone else getting this kind of power out of it (although that is a lot, and may be as much as you really want anyway).

If the Kenne Bell blower is really coming out soon (one can only guess...there are threads posted on this, and estimates are being made, but you have to take that FWIW), then you might want to wait for it. It should be awesome.

If you are wanting over 600rwhp now, then get a Vortech or ATI. The Magnuson blower will not get you there.

·
Banned
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This was my logic.... A head/cam car will put down probably 430ish at the rear wheels with a blower cam. With a built lower end, even if the most #'s you can eek out is 10lbs, that's 200 rwhp. (S/C are 20 rwhp per #, turbo's are 30rwhp per #, my mistake) That would be 630+rwhp and at the crank, that would be around 715hp. This makes sense doesn't it?

·
3,265 Posts
You can't make blanket HP/per psi statements because you're not factoring in the efficiency of a given compressor. Two different compressors might make the same HP/psi at 5psi, but raise it to 10psi and one is heating the air charge more than the other, thus it is less efficient, thus it makes less power.

Call John Page at 21st Century Musclecars. They have tested C5s with heads/cam + Mag blower vs. a Z06 with stock heads/blower cam + Mag blower. The consensus is that the aftermarket heads do not make a huge difference b/c of the airflow limitations of the Mag blower itself.

No way you'll see 630rwhp from an Eaton M90 on a 346ci motor. None.

·
Banned
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
WA 2 FST said:
You can't make blanket HP/per psi statements because you're not factoring in the efficiency of a given compressor. Two different compressors might make the same HP/psi at 5psi, but raise it to 10psi and one is heating the air charge more than the other, thus it is less efficient, thus it makes less power.

Call John Page at 21st Century Musclecars. They have tested C5s with heads/cam + Mag blower vs. a Z06 with stock heads/blower cam + Mag blower. The consensus is that the aftermarket heads do not make a huge difference b/c of the airflow limitations of the Mag blower itself.

No way you'll see 630rwhp from an Eaton M90 on a 346ci motor. None.
Interesting..... In your opinion, which blower do you think is the better choice for a street monster, centifical or roots? I don't race, just like to have a scary fast car that gets your heart pumping and your knees shaking, but I don't drive my Z like a nut. I like to get on it every once in a while, but I don't like beating her up. I know NoS sounds like a good alternative, but I just don't trust it or like it. The changing of the hood is a non-factor for me. From what I've read, the roots has more balls down low and the centri's have more up top.... but how different are they really on the street?

·
Registered
378 Posts
PriestYates said:
Interesting..... From what I've read, the roots has more balls down low and the centri's have more up top.... but how different are they really on the street?

Can't speak for centrifugals myself but having in excess of 550 lb*ft torque between 3,000 - 4,500 rpm seems to always have you in the right gear :D

·
Registered
378 Posts
Don Benson said:
Nick,

Get some tires, please...

Don
Don, I took my better half out for a joy ride :sneaky: the other night and "conviently" let the wheels spin during the three four shift :eek2:

Monies have been approved for new shoes :D

:cheers:

·
3,265 Posts
PriestYates said:
Interesting..... In your opinion, which blower do you think is the better choice for a street monster, centifical or roots? I don't race, just like to have a scary fast car that gets your heart pumping and your knees shaking, but I don't drive my Z like a nut. I like to get on it every once in a while, but I don't like beating her up. I know NoS sounds like a good alternative, but I just don't trust it or like it. The changing of the hood is a non-factor for me. From what I've read, the roots has more balls down low and the centri's have more up top.... but how different are they really on the street?
What we are _all_ after is maximum power in the useable rpm range. It doesn't matter whether its the street or track. Peak HP is way, way overrated. The peak #s could be higher for one than the other, but if the _average_ HP over a given rev-range is less, then this vehicle will be slower to accelerate.

The problem with the _current_ offerings is that one typically makes substantially more HP from 4500-6500 (centrifugal) and the other makes more HP/TQ from 2000-3500 (Magnacharger). From 3500-4500rpm its a wash b/w them most of the time.

If you could get yours set up like B P Fox, then I'd go with the Magnacharger hands-down. His average HP from 2000-6500 will be greater than just about any 590-600rwhp Vortech/ATI blower on this board. But BP's is not the norm, so realize that. Most Mag blown C5/Z06's are in the 480-515rwhp range, so the centrifugals pass them up pretty quickly.

The Kenne Bell blower (whenever it actually comes out...not faulting them, but there is no way to really know about a timely release date) will be an awesome alternative. The twin-screw design (positive displacement, like the Eaton blower that Magnacharger uses) will provide plenty of airflow in a 346" motor that it will make gobs of low-end, mid-range and top-end power.

That wasn't a great answer to your question. ;) I think for what you're after the I/C Mag would make you very happy.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
WES,Your not doing a very good job selling a twin turbo!

Come on Wes ,

Tell him how you really feel.

"YOU NEED AN LPE 427 TT"

Remember when Pat came in for a mag upgrade and ended up on a plane back to washington with his car staying for a few weeks for a 427 tt upgrade instead.He was convinced after seeing and felling the numbers.

If I recall you drive a close competitor to a 427 tt . Right !!!!!

:cheers:

·
3,265 Posts
:rofl: at you, Andy.

All anyone has to do is look in my sig and see what I like. :) If the guy had listed the turbo option in his post, you know what my answer would have been. ;)

<---still a very, very happy 346 TT owner :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts