Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had read many threads indicating that the magnetic oil drain plugs wouldn't find anything in an aluminum engine, but I figured they were cheap and chouldn't hurt anything so I put them in the engine, differential and transmission when I changed fluids at 800 miles.
I just changed my engine oil for the second time at 1800 miles. The magnet was covered with a small film of metallic slivers. Thanks to the plug they are now in my trash instead of the engine.
:cheers:

·
Registered
32 Posts
The engine block and head castings are aliminum to save weight. The wear/contact parts of the engine are steel. A magnetic drain plug will remove the small amount of ferrous particles floating in your oil. This is a good thing.

The manual transmission (MN6) has two magnets glued to the inside bottom of the casting. This was done to trap the large quantity of ferrous particles in the transmission oil and help promote the misguided concept that transmission oil never needs to be replaced. A magnetic drain plug in yout transmission probably does not help much because it has to "fight" these two fairly large internal magnets for a share of the ferrous spoils.

I think the differential also has an internal magnet. It would be good to determine the presence of such a magnet before investing in a magnetic drain plug.

John Pease

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
RIGHT ON JOHN!!!!!!

:cheers:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
flash32 said:
hey guys ...where is the best place to get the manetic oil plug for the engine

thanks
flash32
The GM part number for your magnetic oil pan drain plug is 88891787, and should be readily available at your friendly GM dealer parts counter......cost? Aout $2.97

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
151 Posts
That's $2.97 for a Bolt! :eek:

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Yeah, but its a magnetic bolt... :D

·
Registered
0 Posts
When Sherylann lost a rocker arm, and all the needle bearings fell out,

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6153&highlight=rocker

:eek: we found all but 4 bearings. Those bearings were found on her magnetic drain plug the last time we changed her oil.

Even though the oil pick-up has a fine mesh that will not pass the bearings, the magnetic drain plug is cheap insurance indeed!! :cool: I'm sold!!

Kind of a funny but interesting old post!! :lol:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I guess $2.97 Isn't bad for a "Magic" Bolt! :D

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
I installed a mag plug right away in my '01; pulled filings out at 500 mi; 1100 mi and 1800 mi; then they stopped...Nice to know they are not inside! This is a "gotta have one" :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts