Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Its raining in Houston last night so I get the bright idea to SPRAY PAINT a piece of wood in my garage for a home project. I sprayed the paint (white) AWAY from my black Z (also in the garage) but I go out just now to find a fine layer of white paint has settled over the ENTIRE CAR. I didn't even think about this since I sprayed away from the car.

Since it has been 24 hours, I am assuming that the paint that has settled cannot get any harder/harder to get off. What do I do to get this off? I rubbed a small spot with a wet sponge and it seems to come off with some work but I dont want to risk scratching the car until I get some opinions.

Please - someone help. I'm sick about this. The car was spotless before this. What do I do?

The paint was Rust-oleum Gloss Protective Enamel.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I'm far from an expert but I would wash the car for a long time...soap and water... let dry and then I would consider using 3 M polishing compound..(fine) on the entire car...as instructed on the plastic bottle of 3M polishing compound..

Should take all of it off without a problem...

Thats what I would do...

Good luck and I really believe it will work out just fine...

After ward wash and wax the car as you would normally..

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Wash the car if the car has some wax on it, it will come off.

If that doesen't work use your favorite wax or polish that has cleaner in it lke NXT and many others.

If that doesen't work buy a clay bar and that will take off the white paint. :cheers:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Not to worry...
My cousin parked his brand new truck in front of an apartment building where they were doing some painting. Well, you guessed it - those bozos got overspray all over the hood of his brand new truck. A few days after the incident he came to me for advice. I told him I'd be able to take care of it. I used a clay bar and was able to completely remove all overspray on his truck. Was good as new when I was done. Took some elbow grease... but, it'll come off.

The clay bar should take it all off. I'm positive this will work on your car. Just do a small area at a time.

Alex :guiness:

·
Registered
882 Posts
I once got some yellow "lane" paint on all 4 panels of a black car and it would not come off with anything (without aggressive scraping). Got some orange cleaner, let it soak some and the paint just dissolved with very little rubbing. :thumb:

Then there is gas. :D

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Clay Bar will do the trick :yeadog:

Jack

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same thing happed to me on my red 99 hard top. I used 3M's Tar Wax and Adheasive remover without any problems. I had and have been using it for years with fantastic results. Don't forget to re-wax when your done. Make sure to Cali dust, qwick mist detail and use microfiber towels so you don't scratch the paint. Do not scrub, let the cleaner work to gently remove the over spray.

Monty

P.S. It will also clean off the paint from your rubber moulding and gaskets.

·
Registered
464 Posts
ANY cleaner wax and a fine cloth will take it off.

Cheers,

2Charmed

:z:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Used properly, a clay bar shouldn't leave any marks or swirls. Most of the other methods allow the possibility that the overspray or the abrasives/polishes in the products themselves might.

Hopefully, it'll just wash off, but if it doesn't, use whatever the least invasive method is that gets the job done.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I had a similar incident where the dealer had to touch up a ding that was in my 97 Trans Am when I bought it. There was overspray on and below the rear spoiler.

Been said many times above in other posts....clay bar did the trick. I used Zaino's product, but I think Meguiars makes a clay bar as well.

Good luck.
Pat

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Some 3M swirl mark remover applied with a foam pad on an orbital polisher will take it off real fast and leave your car looking great.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Might try mequiars paint cleaner.

If not then a polishing compound will do it I'd think. Just go really easy on here. I scratched the front of my 02 TA and repainted the sratch black and clear coated it. The clear coat did not blend with the factory clear coa so I had to remove it. I used like a turtle wax polishing compound and wet cloth. Took forever but worked and it always looked fine after that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
major f-up

As a house painter I can attest to the fact that overspray is a major concern when spraying anything. The type of paint being used and the proximity to valuable items iare the two most important factors.
The spray can type of paint you used dries fairly quickly and was 80% dry before it ever landed on your car, so I wouldn't worry too much. More than likely your vette had a good wax on it which will help.
I agree with a previous poster that suggested soaking the car for a while to soften and loosen the paint particles before trying any removal methods. I highly recommend a good long soak with suds, followed by a very light hand washing, another very light hand washing, and let it dry. Then see how much overspray is left to determine the final removal method.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Take the car immediately to a detail shop. I think that this way, you can pay someone else and they will remove the paint correctly.

Go for a long walk and return to a perfect car again.
Let us know.
-Bill. :cry:

·
Registered
33 Posts
jochalek said:
As a house painter I can attest to the fact that overspray is a major concern when spraying anything. The type of paint being used and the proximity to valuable items iare the two most important factors.
The spray can type of paint you used dries fairly quickly and was 80% dry before it ever landed on your car, so I wouldn't worry too much. More than likely your vette had a good wax on it which will help.
I agree with a previous poster that suggested soaking the car for a while to soften and loosen the paint particles before trying any removal methods. I highly recommend a good long soak with suds, followed by a very light hand washing, another very light hand washing, and let it dry. Then see how much overspray is left to determine the final removal method.
You have got to love this forum. All great advice. I agree with the wash/soak then claybar method.

good luck

·
Registered
428 Posts
Painting your car white

This is not a problem. But don't get carried away. Start with the least aggressive solution first....like a prewax cleaner (Maquires crystal or PS21 paint cleaner).>Clay bar (if you have never done this, you probably should start here to get all the other grit out of your paint.)>anything beyond this is abrasive such as swirl mark remover.You shouldn't have to use swirl mark remover but if you do, it works best with a dual action buffer(do not use a rotary buffer unless you have had some experience). There is a good tutorial on the Maquire's web site.
Dave

1 - 20 of 25 Posts