Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you wanted to run your engine a bit cooler, either to richen up the AFR or reduce engine knock due to heat, you went out and bought a custom thermostat at a cost of about $80 with shipping.

I did this to find a 178 custom stat only allowed a maximum of 163 at highway speeds when used with a race radiator !

I was upset at this cost and not getting what it was supposed to be so I began studying the thermostat design and with the experience and knowledge of teammate Gary S, I began testing a method of modifying the stock thermostat and found for less then few dollars I could make the stock thermosat adjustable.

Review the process at :

Save money and modify stock stat

Thus for a few bucks you now can adjust your stock termostat at a lower opening temperature.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Good info!

I think I saw some howto info on this a while ago. I don't think it detailed the required shim thickness, but it did go into a little more detail on how to disassemble, etc. I will try and find it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Extern adjust ?

I hear some were using a B.B but that would be too thick, too cold.
Taling apart is easy, push down and let the spring compress, now turn the top that is hooked to the housing end and the whole stat slides out.

The real cool thing is to come up with an external set screw that allows adjusting from the outside, heck if getting a stop screw to be mounted through housing and not effect low pressure, the screw could be adjusted to take the shaft to the height you want, Worht thinking about. .

BrianK said:
Good info!

I think I saw some howto info on this a while ago. I don't think it detailed the required shim thickness, but it did go into a little more detail on how to disassemble, etc. I will try and find it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Someone should design a thermostat that had an external adjuster. That would be way cool.

You could crank it down for the summer and raise it in the winter.

Alex

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I've seen this several times before - is there a place/way to buy these shims? I'm no machinist, so making them myself is out of the question...any advice in that regard?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts