Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out the March 2002 Motor Trend, I guess after last month they had to give Ford some equal time! Page 41...and the cover.......

'03 SVO Mustang Cobra:eek:

390 HP with a Supercharger........:D
(sounds like fun!)

MPG.....16/24 estimated:lol:

Still slower than a Z06 (by their own estimates!):D
(They don't even know how fast it is yet, but "they are confident of sub 5 second 0-60's")

Needs to go on a diet:p
(well then again so do I! :guiness: )

Still the same old ugly Mustang.....
Was on the cutting edge in the late 80's.............:puke:

Hey Ford....."get a better Idea!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:cheers:

G

·
Thanks for the update...was this the car that was supposed to be called terminator? (Ford decided to change the name at the last minute.)

I believe this is the mustang last hurrah on the fox chassis.

The next generation if it holds true to rumors should be out in 2004 and be quite sophisticated but I would imagine still a bit heavy..

Should be interesting what the cost cutting nature of ford will do...

Will the new mustang be all that it was supposed to be?

I hope so....for ford enthusiasts sake.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
With the F bodys demise Ford may finally be the top dog in this market segment:D

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
fyrcaptain said:
With the F bodys demise Ford may finally be the top dog in this market segment:D
Ford was "top dog" in this market segment from 1985 until 1997+ when the LS1 engine arrived. Period.

But, you are correct, they have been waaay behind since then.

Many people (not saying you, fyrcaptain) don't realize that the Mustang was certainly never meant to compete with the Vette. It's a 2+2 for crying out loud. This doesn't excuse Ford for laying low over the last 5 years while the LS1 F-bodies make for faster cars out of the box than even the top-of-the-line Mustang (Cobra).

But, alas...the Mustang outsold the F-body 2:1 at least (counting all the cars...v6's too), so if I'm a bean counter, I just pat 'em on the back. :(

The 390hp Cobra will certainly not be as fast as a Z06...in a straight-line, on a road course, or in maximum braking tests. I haven't received my issue yet, but I will just hazard a guess that the car will weigh 3450lbs empty...if not more.

The Mustang as we know it (2+2 "pony" car) will never be aligned to directly compete with the Corvette. If Ford brings back the GT-40, then it will have stepped up to the plate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts