Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im about to install my third set of rings in this build. The engine is a stout 441 cube LSX 454 block. 4" stroke GM LS7 Crank, 4.185" bore. Eagle 6.125" Rods. Street raced occasionally in Mexico. Driven almost daily prob 200 to 300 miles a week. Using 1QT or more a week. It almost uses as much oil as it does gas. Has all new internals. NA, FastLSXR 102 intake, NW TB, Morel Lifters, Bushed LS7 rockers, all 6 bolt ARP head studs. New GM Dry Sump Pump. New just about everything. No one can figure out where the oil is going. Not on the ground and not up in smoke. Plugs are dry and clean. Pretty heavy carbon deposit on pistons after only 3 months. No Cats and spitts black sooty carbon water out of tail pipes whenever first started but only for a min. But no smoke. Does anyone have any ideas? It's apart right now cuz I spun a rod bearing. Rebuilding with all new bearings again. New Eagle crank. New rings again. Im sure it will do the same thing. I'm stumped though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh yea almost forgot Oil Pressure is good. 60 when cold 50 when hot idle at idle. Up to probably 70 when I lean on it.
The only thing that does not add up for me is 70 lbs of oil pressure. I can't imagine it takes that much to run this engine, but I also don't know what to do with the 3rd cranial nerve ending west of Souix Falls.

Otherwisel, I have no brilliant ideas, but it seems to me that you have had a bunch of problems with this build. I don't know where to go with this observation, but if you have not considered that line of thinking it may be time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Probably the rings never sealed and the burning oil results in heavy carbon deposits on the pistons...probably running a high enough compression ratio to not result in lots of smoke...keep in mind that if the engine is eating a quart of oil every 200-300 miles, that is exactly what it is doing if no one can see where it goes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts