Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I have an '04 Z with Borla X over and quad stingers. It also has a Breathless Duct and Blackwing.
I have gotten into the habit of running thru a couple of gears @ the conclusion of my 13 mile, "mostly" laidback freeway commute. :z: :D Ya know, downshift to 3rd, 4.5K, shift, 4.5K, downshift, around the corner, 1 block.... stoplight. Parking lot. While cruising into the lot @ 15 mph, I get a smell just like burning matches. Normal? Should I be concerned? I've only had the car a month, my first vette (NOT my first performance car), it has 4,500 mi. Oh ya, it came with the mods....
Any ideas? This worries me a LOT. This the only time it does this

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4,533 miles
Ya, I know I have a lot more, but 100+ is SO ill advised on offramps... :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
413 Posts
most likely cats but possibly some clutch smell?

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
C5 CU said:
most likely cats but possibly some clutch smell?
Hmmm, doesn't SMELL like clutch.... so, presuming it is the cats, is this a BAD thing?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Cats can smell like sulfur usually if you're burning high sulfur fuel, or if the car is running rich, or if the cats are old and worn out. Since the last one doesn't apply, I would look into the first two. Try switching brands of gas first, and see if you notice an improvement.

As far as I know, the smell isn't really bad for the cats, but who wants a rotten egg smell?

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Your e-brake is on. :crazy: Just imagine how fast you will be now. :D

OR, you might check your exhaust system. Maybe something has been slung up on it, or something may be too close.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Its (as has been said), high sulpher gas, or running rich. I got it after installing an intake... made the car run rich and stink.

Zed

·
Registered
308 Posts
I believe it's normal after hard acceleration.
Mine does the same as did my Grand National after spirited driving.
Kind of like a napalm in the morning thing.
MHO :drunken:

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks All!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
46 Posts
always happens...didnt know if it was breaks, exhaust, clutch...gas...I dont worry under warranty :p but it definately stinks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Good post, I am having the same thing here. New Z owner as well, I thought it was my clutch perhaps slipping on some good pulls through the gears.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts