Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious as to the maximum I can safely wear my tires before I break down and buy new ones. I've currently got the Goodyear F1s.. On my other vehicles I figure the tires are not gone till you see metal...ha... buy on the vette I don't want to go quite that risky. It's below the "wear line" but its still got between 1/8-1/16 left of good tread. I'm not worried about driving in the rain, mostly about a blowout.. any input?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Goodyear F1's are very poor in the rain when they are new. Great on dry roads. Some folks get 10,000 out a set others 20,000 miles and more. One thing most folks forget is the regardless of how much thread is left on a tire, they lose there effectiveness as they age. The rubber starts to harden and vulcanizes. IMO they should not be used for spirited driving after 3 or 4 years. :cheers:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a good friend who owns several tire shops and he says that after two summers here in Arizona the tires are shot, no matter how much tread is left. Today was our first day over 100, with temps Sat and Sun at 108.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
too hot for me... I'm in GA so we barely get in the 90s... I can't see any cracking or dryrotting, but I'm not familiar with how those tires wear or age..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts