Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I wanted to take my 03 to the strip for the first time this Friday (test & tune). The problem is 3rd gear. I can hard shift from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th, but I have a hell of a time going into 3rd. I never grind the gears and have had several (less powerful) cars, that I ran through the lights with no such problems. When I shift to 3rd under full power at around 6300-6400, I hit between gears and have to get off the gas and find it. Very frustrating :bmad:.

I am going to get an after market shifter soon. Sat in a ZO6 with a Hurst and was amazed at how short and precise the shifts were (no power, just sitting). The GM shifter is WAY long in its throws.

Any advice to help with the GM and if I get the Hurst, do I put in the softer springs or not? I like positive shifts and don't mind the effort. Will the softer springs cause the same problem I'm experencing?

Tim:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had this same exact problem with 3rd, a shifter is definitly the solution for you. I got a B&M shifter and I havnt missed a gear since.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Tim, the stock shifter is your problem. When going from 2nd to 3rd, you virtually have to shift up and over to find third. I have the Mallett and is goes direct into 3rd with ease. The other aftermarket shifters like the Hurst, B & M and Kirban have shorter throws and sort of click into gear. The Hurst will work for you with the softer springs, but do a search for Jub Jub's solution to quiet down the noise, as the Hurst will rattle and vibrate in most cases. The stock shifter has to go. Good luck.

Bob :D

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I like the B&M Ripper for this problem. Never worry or miss third again. This shifter is built tough, much tougher than me. Jam it forward, third is there every time. :thumb:

·
Banned
809 Posts
It's probably a little bit of both. I never had problems with third although an aftermarket shifter does make it easier and quicker.

Sal

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hey Tim,

I have the Hurst, and asked that it be installed with the soft springs. Can't say for shure they used them, but it feels great once broken in.

It can take a few days to settle in when new.

My problem with 3rd gear still persists, but I think I figured it out.

I only have problems when I have a passenger, turns out I was keeping my elbow too close to the seat to get the right angle on the shifter.

Holding my elbow farther out lines up the shift much bettter.

·
Registered
882 Posts
The Hurst is precise but does have a lot of mechanical resonance. :D

With the Hurst, going to third is just as simple as pushing the shifter up. At rest, you are basically between 3rd and 4th. The springs will center it and you will not miss a shift. :pp:

I went from dual springs as 5th was almost a two handed operation, to just the light outer springs. It is easier to shift but I did loose just a bit of the notchy feel. For drag racing, I would keep the dual springs. :eek:o:

Next had a Raptor shift light and watch your technique improve! :yeadog:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. I only thought of the Hurst because that is the one I was able to try. I hear a lot of Z people like the B&M just as well, if not better. My only concern is positive shifts. I really don't care which one I get. Wish I could actually try them both.

If the springs are not as I would wish, do I have to take the whole thing apart again?? That would be a pain. I guess it would be worth it in the end though.

I eventually want to upgrade the intake and add headers and an X pipe, but I felt the shifter was the most important add-on as of now.

Thanks again all,

Tim:)

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the Hurst in mine, with the stiffer springs, and I love it, and never miss a gear. The stock shifter is like swinging a bat playing baseball, only to strike out.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Tim in indiana said:
If the springs are not as I would wish, do I have to take the whole thing apart again?? That would be a pain. I guess it would be worth it in the end though.

I eventually want to upgrade the intake and add headers and an X pipe, but I felt the shifter was the most important add-on as of now.
Good selection of MODS! :thumb:

The Hurst has two large set screws on the top of the base where the springs reside. Console is pretty easy to take off -- I can do it in about 4 minutes or so. The first time is the hardest trying to figure out how the electrical connectors come apart. :crazy:

I would just use the two lightest springs, install the shifter and just see how it feels before you put the console back together. When the shifter is installed, you have easy assess to the retaining set screws. One warning! Stuff the exposed area with rags incase you fumble and drop anything. The heavier springs makes 5, 6 and reverse a bit of a battle. :eek::

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
It could also be the 3rd gear synchronizers :eek:o:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts