Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have talked a lot on this forum about upgrading the Zo6 brakes for AutoX, Solo I, T1, the Drag Strip or just plain street racing. This includes changing to a higher performance brake fluid and subsequent bleeding of the system under race conditions. All well and good, and all of the info presented here is very helpful and adequate. But we need to be careful out there.

I want to inform you all for safeties sake that we need to be somewhat careful with brake fluid. I know that some even use it as a solvent to clean with and some use it as a dressing on rubber hoses and such to shine up the engine compartment.

Brake fluid is a solvent and in fact has some properties like DMSO. Some brake fluid can be absorbed through the skin just like DMSO. Problem is it is toxic and can cause kidney failure and permanent kidney damage. We just have to make sure we wash our hands after brake work. Just wiping our hands off won't suffice. The level of exposure varies from person to person and some fluids are more toxic and are absorbed through the skin much quicker than others. Nothing to be alarmed about, just be cautious and prudent. Just treat them all as the same potential hazard, be careful and wash the fluid off after any exposure.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Very good info DJ, thanks for sharing, I think we take some things for granted in our obsession, er, sport :)

JC

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DMSO

Is a solvent based product that is redily absorbed through the skin. It is often mixed with a drug such as aspirin or arthritis meds and enables them to be transported across the skin when dissolved in the solvent. It is not FDA approved but is used in horse racing a lot and by Vets. The DMSO is also said to have antiinflammitory properties as well. This enables a topical application to say an affected joint with the same results as injecting the medicine directly into the joint.

Unfortunetly it is used sometimes illegally in boxing and professional sports. I have also seen it used on injured players in College and High School Football. You can get it on the blackmarket "For Animal Use Only" but intended for human use. The problem is that it is sometimes not refined and has impurities in it such as lead. The lead is trasportant into the the joint as well and causes nervous system, Liver and Kidney damage.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Manatee said:
Thanks for the warning dj. btw What is DMSO ?
Dimethyl Sulfoxide, very transdermal agent. Also believed to relieve swelling and pain. Vets use it on horses. Smells like garlic, and MSM is derived from it, commonly found in health food stores.

·
Registered
630 Posts
DMSO

Is a solvent based product that is redily absorbed through the skin. It is often
It is really good stuff!

I have lived overseas in South Korea on a company assignment and got a Wart Remover there. It worked great!.. It was manufactured by a German company and had English directions and contents.

When I got back and had my physical from my Doctor I showed him the bottle. He read the listing of the contents and he say I know why this works so good is it has DSMO. The DSMO let's the warts absorb the medication I asked him if we should continue to use it and he said you bet, this is good stuff.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That was .....

probably a pure refined medical grade DMSO....maybe.

Care to tell us how you got the warts in S. Korea. It wasn't on an R&R to Thialand was it?....Ah nevermind.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I didn't realize that the brake fluids were getting so nasty.. Thanks for the heads up!

In any case, I always wear latex or nitrile gloves when handling auto fluids. Especially something as nasty to paint as brake fluid. That way I can just toss the gloves and my hands are 'safe' again. The same thing goes for engine assembly - if I have to grab a dirty tool, etc, I can just re-glove.

As you point out, the long term risks are already high enough for anyone who does this regularly.

I find that the nitrile gloves are a little more solvent resistant than latex.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Re: DMSO

DJWorm said:
Is a solvent based product that is redily absorbed through the skin. It is often mixed with a drug such as aspirin or arthritis meds and enables them to be transported across the skin when dissolved in the solvent. It is not FDA approved but is used in horse racing a lot and by Vets. The DMSO is also said to have antiinflammitory properties as well. This enables a topical application to say an affected joint with the same results as injecting the medicine directly into the joint.

Unfortunetly it is used sometimes illegally in boxing and professional sports. I have also seen it used on injured players in College and High School Football. You can get it on the blackmarket "For Animal Use Only" but intended for human use. The problem is that it is sometimes not refined and has impurities in it such as lead. The lead is trasportant into the the joint as well and causes nervous system, Liver and Kidney damage.
DMSO was also popular with the drug culture a few decades ago--there were reports of it being mixed with LSD or other psychedllic drugs and placed under car door handles of police cars during demonstrations (giving the cops a 8 hour trip they didn't plan on taking).:eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts