Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that almost everyone on this site (including me) are big fans of Zaino. However, I've got a question -- the place that washes my car (by hand) does an incredible job. They offer a full detail for $90. They use Meguiar's paste wax. I'm very tempted t let them do this as I rarely have the time to do it myself.

What do you think? Should I let them use the Meguiar's on my car (2001 Speedway White)?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
jupiter, it will not hurt but understand that it will only last a few weeks, and it will attract more dust and dirt because all carnauba products contain oils, why not give them Zaino and let them apply that. If you have Zaino on your car already application is very fast, if not print out the Zaino application info and give it to them and see what they want to apply it. Meguiar's makes good products I have used them for many years, they just do not hold up. :)

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I used their complete professionaly system a bit (not a paste wax tho), and it was ok. Car looked pretty good, but looked better with zaino, not to mention it was easier to put on.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
15 years in the detail business I have never found a product easier to put on and take off than Zaino, and most of that time we were using Meguiar's, I have people in their 70's using Zaino without any problems. :-?

·
Registered
0 Posts
My Opinion

This is just my humble opinion.

I used Meguiar's for 20 years. Really loved it, then I switched to Zaino. Carl...like I am saying, this is just my opinion.

If you have a garage queen that you drive ocassionally, then Zaino will provide you the best shine on the market. But...if you drive your Z everyday in all types of weather, and I mean rain and snow, I have found Meguiar's to be longer lasting by far, and I have used both. Sherylann also uses Meguiar's. I just don't have the time to wax my Z every week.

Boy...I bet I get burned on this one...flame suit on. :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
I used Zaino when I first go my 1999 WS-6 Formula 1LE... I liked it... very nice, shine, and smell! ;) But a lot of work (The first time... 3 steps yadda yadda yadda)...

I then went to Meguiar's Gold, and it seemed to be almost as shiny, with the ease of application, and all in one step.

Most recently I have been using Zymol (Which I had also heard a lot of good things about). Zymol seems to have as good of a shine as the Zaino Products, with the ease of the Meguiar's Gold! So for now... I am a Zymol guy!

I think the nicest thing about Zaino (yes Zaino) is that it doesn't get 'white residue' on black plastic things!

Peace,

Dave

·
Registered
680 Posts
Here's my 0.2

I think both products are great :D But I do think that ZAINO is a "Cleaner" shine.....if that makes any sense:lol: :cheers:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I guess next you guys will tell me that regular oil holds up better than synthetic oils, of course it does not, neither does carnauba wax compared to any synthetic. Carnauba wax melts at 135 degrees, a dark car can get to be 180 degrees, you will lose all wax protection in a matter of hours at that temp with a carnauba wax product. Carnauba wax "dulls" each and every time that water from rain or washing touches it, synthetic products will not break down with water. I was a partner in the largest detail chain in the US for just over 15 years, we were the largest end user of Meguiar's products in the US, why do you think that detail shops use carnauba products? Because they look good for a short time and then the customers come back, because carnauba breaks down and you need to reapply it. My daily drivers 5.9 Grand Cherokee and M5 BMW get 2-3 applications a year, trust me on this one that my 4 year old 5.9 looks better than most new cars, and it usually sits outside. I always tell people to use what works best for you on your car, but if you think that Meguiar's lasts longer than Zaino, Finish First, Liquid Glass you are dead wrong. Some people like the oily look that carnauba products give you, see for carnauba products to shine they add silicone oils, the problem with that is oil collects dust and dirt much faster, therefore you have to wash your car more often, when you wash your car you are taking some carnauba off and your car is getting duller each time, the longest that carnauba will last is about 6 weeks if it does not get wet and it is not real hot, the synthetics about will last 4-6 months, not a guess just the facts. There is not a product that I have tested in the past ten years that is clearer than Zaino, carnauba waxes are yellow and oils will not give you the clarity of a synthetic. As I said use what works best for you. :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Carl,

I must be doing something wrong. Would you show me how and Zaino my Z?? :D :lol: PLEASE?? :lol:

Hey, I just can't figure out that clay bar. :( Felt like I was rubbing a bar of bath soap on the car. :( The thing is hard as a rock. :-?

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Hey gang! I loved reading this thread..Zaino vs everyone else!

Here's my two sense: I have hand washed and detailed all my cars for the past 38 years (except for taking my everday cars to a car wash). I first used Zaino on my new '99 Navy Blue Metallic C5 vert. Before starting, I talked to Sal Zaino, and followed his specific instructions....first wash using Dawn, clay bar entire car, wash with Zaino wash product, then start the initial Zaino application. Long story short: WOW-WEE! I received so many compliments (and awards) on that Navy Blue Vet than I ever imagined! I am now a firm believer in Zaino as the BEST Polish. Period, no and's, if's, or buts.

BTW, one of my friends was showing me his Zainoed Red Vet and we noticed a bird dropping on the trunk lid....so he opened the lid to get a rag to wipe it off with, and as the lid swung open the bird poop slid right off! Another WOW-WEE experience! Zaino impressed me!

Carl, what's the latest on the 1 step Zaino?

Zippy :) :)

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
And if you're like me, you don't get a chance to wash that often and the Zaino helps somewhat on making washes easier by not allowing the dirt to adhere.....

JC

·
Registered
528 Posts
Just my 2 cents here. I don't know which one is better because I only used Meguiar twice before, but I can tell you how good Zaino is. I haven't wash my car for almost 4 weeks now, and it still look just like new. One time I drove it in a sprinkle, not hard rain, and I got all these little black dots on my car. The next day, I wiped it off with a California dust buster. But, still you can see some black spots on the car. Drove the car to work last week and rain came around 11 AM. Wasn't hard rain at all, then the Sun came out. In the afternoon I came out and ready to drive home; I was like, did someone just washed my car for me? It's so shinny and all the black spots went away.... Thanks God for the rain... I guess, thanks Carl for the Zaino...

I received compliments from other people and they wouldn't believe that I haven't wash my car for two weeks... This stuff is good. The last time I Zaino the car was about 3 months ago. I get bird drops on it all the time. I always keep some paper towels in my Z, so everytime I see bird drop, I just kind of wipe it away. If it's a little stubborn, I just spit on it and wipe it away easily. I know it's kind of nasty, but you got to do what you got to do when there's no water around.

·
Registered
198 Posts
This quote right here, is EXACTLY why I quit using Zaino.. unfortunately...

...talked to Sal Zaino, and followed his specific instructions....first wash using Dawn, clay bar entire car, wash with Zaino wash product, then start the initial Zaino application...

I too have been down that road... but personally that is way to much effort for me to get my car to look 'beautiful'. I pride myself in keeping my cars gorgeous and clean... the difference is I could have washed and waxed my car about 6 times before the 1st treatment of Zaino is applied.

But I agree... it is as hcvone wrote 'What works best for you and your car'

If you have the time... Zaino won't let ya down!

(I am a Zymol guy for now!) :cheers:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Zaino is the product for me! I have about 8 coats on right now and add one evry week. The car is so slick the Z2 goes on and comes off with virtually no effort and takes about 30 minutes. I have never had a car that shined as well my Z. I only wash it every 2 or 3 weeks and it's my daily driver (for now). Three times a week I dust it off and apply Z6 which takes about 30 minutes as well. IMO, Zaino is the best!!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
hcvone said:
carnauba waxes are yellow and oils will not give you the clarity of a synthetic. As I said use what works best for you. :)
Dang, Carl... Carnubas are YELLOW?! I guess I should be using THEM on my MY car! :roll: :lol:

What is all this crap about it taking "too much time" to use Zaino?! That's the biggest load of crap I've heard yet! :puke: It's totally untrue.

That's like saying that you don't like steak 'cause it takes time to cook it first.

For lasting shine, ease of use, the fact that it doesn't leave white residue (ANY visible residue), and since it doesn't muss up any black weatherstripping and so forth that you might get it on... Washing with Dawn (you have to wash with SOMETHING, so that hardly counts as a "step") and applying Z1 ONCE A YEAR is hardly a time-consuming feat! :roll: If you had to do 3 or 4 steps each time you wanted to shine your car, then I could see that product being too labor-intensive. This product does not require that kind of effort.

...And hell, I've never used a clay bar on my car. Apparently, my car doesn't "need" it. Most of your cars probably don't need it either. So, rather than look at Zaino as a 40-step process, take a look at what you need, and reevaluate the situation.

Heck, it doesn't matter to me if you all use Zaino or not -- if you don't, then my car's just going to look that much better against yours. ;) Seriously, though, it's wonderful stuff (and a little birdy told me that it's going to be getting even better)...

-Kirk

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
FRC Tom said:
Formula 113
Too much abrasives for me, if you read his site it states

Many detail shops use Formula "113" because it saves them time and money. Many shops say they can do twice the amount of cars in a day. Formula "113" replaces other products like fine cuts , pre-cleaners, glazes.

I have had this product tested by two labs, it works great on neglected or oxidized car finishes, but if you read your owners manual GM clearly yell you NOT to use abrasives on their finish, and that is because GM knows what all of us know that the paint/clear coat is very soft

1 - 20 of 27 Posts