Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Z06Vette.com Member Locator is now functional and online!

Here's the skinny:

Members MUST register if they wish to be included!!! Registration only asks for your username and zipcode and is very easy.

Entering in a zip code into the Locator searches for members within a selectable radius. This is not a text search, rather a much more effective geographical search by lat/long. :cool:

Results display the forum members (and link to their profile), their distance from you, and the closest city to them.

Everyone should take a minute to register and become a part of the community!

I hope you enjoy this latest addition to the Best Site Yet......

http://www.z06vette.com/locator.php

JC

·
Registered
55 Posts
Very nice!

Two suggestions:

In the resulting "Members Near Me" screen, sort the records ascending on the distance field rather than the member name field. Once this database populates, it will be easier to quickly see who's closest in a 500 mile radius search.

Offer the ability to enter latitude and longitude directly as the zip code method can be off by many miles.

Another thought: This will be a very handy tool when choosing get together locations. If there is a list of possible places, a quick entry of each zip code will give you the tale of the tape for member proximity. :cheers:

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll look into the sorting, but since those numbers are generated after the query I'll have to try to figure out a way to sort by "closest".

As for searching by lat long, I'll try to insert that......

JC

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I second the vote for sorting by distance.

But other than that, a very slick item. I had been wondering if there were people near me. I think I have to go to a real city to find some fellow members.
Hell, the dealer here that I took the Vette to yesterday had never seen a Z06. I got it back and there were hand prints all over the window from people looking in.

chris

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Use Machias, Maine :)

Edit: Actually Machias not showing up.....lemme find a city "close" to Halifax that has a zip code :)......

JC

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, its in there but I have a problem with 4 digit zip codes.....

I'm working on the fix, but it may take awhile, hang in there, we'll get our Canadian counterparts figured out somehow..... :)

JC

·
Registered
508 Posts
Great job! :cheers:

How many registered users are still active? (I didn't see

Would be fun to see others around in my area someday :) and this would definately help.

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
JC, great job, this will definitely help in the planning of events in each region.

You continue to amaze with the growth of functionality on this site, keep it up and you won't have to look for a job, they will be coming to you, other sitemasters, that is, asking for you to make thier site half as cool as this one.

Not a bad thought for a guy in your line of work, you might want to advertise your skillset, and use the site as a reference, but you probably already though of that...

Keep up the great work, you da man :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
JC:

I am Impressed AGAIN! :cheers:

I ran my zip to check this out, and WOW-WEE! this is so cool!

What we need now is for more members to register and expand the usefullnness of this resource! :D :D

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The error with 3/4 digit zip codes has been resolved.

Calais, ME Zip code = 04619

Enjoy :)

JC

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hey cool, I'm within a 100 mile radius of myself. I should give me a call and see if I can get together for lunch sometime. Or maybe I'll have my secretary call my se......oh nevermind!:roll:

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Cool JC!

That didn't take long... Just thinking out loud - it would be a cool enhancement to have a "Driving Directions" link by each members zip in the result. The link would be to mapquest for driving directions with the From and To zips already filled in.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good idea, but they would only have directions to that zipcodes post office :)

I guess we'll have a lot of gatherings beginning at the local post offices :) Maybe we can get a Z06Vette.com stamp petition :)

JC

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
N4C5S said:
Good idea, but they would only have directions to that zipcodes post office :)

I guess we'll have a lot of gatherings beginning at the local post offices :) Maybe we can get a Z06Vette.com stamp petition :)

JC
Hey, don't knock it, the post office is a fun place to hang out these days :roll: ... But seriously, even though it's just the zips, it gives you a much better idea of how far you really are, since the "as the crow flys" distances are pretty far off. i.e. GNX Guy is almost twice as far away from me as the distance that is indicated by the locator.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Right.. I can just see them frantically calling the FBI when a bunch of Z06s start pulling into the PO parking lot..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts