Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Z06 Maniac!!
Joined
·
1,541 Posts
Cool Videos! Always fun to watch some in car action. I know you are having fun. :yeadog: I really enjoy your write-ups.

When we were Memphis a couple of years ago for the One Lap, the drag strip was too wet so they used the pit road as part of the road course. You can see it in your video on the right of the concrete barriers. At the end of the drag strip there is a small opening in the concrete barriers where they had them re-enter the track at speed. In the interest of trying to win, of course this was done at wide open throttle in 4th gear pushing 500+ rwhp. :jawdrop: John Boos had me pull in the right side mirror because he was afraid it would hit because the car was pushing slightly through the opening and these guys weren't lifting. When he, Ron Adee (MTI Vette), and Brian Smith (in the factory Viper) went through that chicane at speed you couldn't see daylight between the right side of the cars and the concrete barriers at speeds around 140. That was the craziest thing I'd ever seen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,563 Posts
David,
Thanks for sharing your video's. I had the whole family gathered around the computer watching your clips. We had a good time watching them! I enjoy watching yours more than mine as I get to see my car more in yours... :D


I didn't realize how close you came to the wall driving through the river... :eek:
I started angling that corner off as you did the next lap to give more track after the river to dry the tires before reaching a wall.

:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't realize how close you came to the wall driving through the river...
I was watching the videos myself and thinking I could have used a different line more often than not. That is what experience teaches you. Next time I will know better.

This whole weekend was a great learning experience for me. Mucho lessons sinking in, and that's a good thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Awesome videos. Memphis Motorsports Park doesn't have the most desirable road course, but its all us Memphians have that's close.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
I have about 2 hours of Memphis (and a bunch of other tracks too) on DVD which includes 2 race wins, new track record (1:13.2), and one cut tire on the last lap!...if anyone is interested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,563 Posts
wtknght1 said:
I have about 2 hours of Memphis (and a bunch of other tracks too) on DVD which includes 2 race wins, new track record (1:13.2), and one cut tire on the last lap!...if anyone is interested.
Chris,
I was wondering how you did. Glad to see you get a win there. Wish I had been there to defend my track record. You couldn't have beaten it by much. My record was a 1:13.278. Would have been fun to run with you again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Subdriver said:
Chris,
I was wondering how you did. Glad to see you get a win there. Wish I had been there to defend my track record. You couldn't have beaten it by much. My record was a 1:13.278. Would have been fun to run with you again.
Yeah, Ed was there with his new C6 and detonated early. I was told the record was 13.7. I just cranked out 2 good laps early, got out to a lead and then just cruised...that is until I cut the tire. I was just having a good time watching the T2 guys battle in my mirror and felt the tire going down with about 5 laps to go... Oh well. Wish you could have been there too - that was another reason for me to go out there, but you unfortunately had to 'ship out' earlier. Rats.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,563 Posts
wtknght1 said:
Yeah, Ed was there with his new C6 and detonated early. I was told the record was 13.7. I just cranked out 2 good laps early, got out to a lead and then just cruised...that is until I cut the tire. I was just having a good time watching the T2 guys battle in my mirror and felt the tire going down with about 5 laps to go... Oh well. Wish you could have been there too - that was another reason for me to go out there, but you unfortunately had to 'ship out' earlier. Rats.
Man, sounds like Ed is having terrible luck with his new car. I hope things turn around for him.

I know the local region had 1:13.7 listed. I saw that when we where there in March. I didn't bother fixing it. Admin problem. I turned a 1:13.278 there last year during the National in March. I went and looked it up.

Sorry I missed you and Ed down there. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man, sounds like Ed is having terrible luck with his new car. I hope things turn around for him.
It gets worse: first he wrecks the C6 at Gateway first time out in the Friday test session. He looked very dejected in his motorcoach (I don't blame him). Then he poops the motor at Memphis. At the Mid Ohio National he borrows the C5 that Joe Aquilante bought from Dave Roush and wrecks it at Turn Seven. Not a good summer for Ed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,563 Posts
David Pintaric said:
It gets worse: first he wrecks the C6 at Gateway first time out in the Friday test session. He looked very dejected in his motorcoach (I don't blame him). Then he poops the motor at Memphis. At the Mid Ohio National he borrows the C5 that Joe Aquilante bought from Dave Roush and wrecks it at Turn Seven. Not a good summer for Ed.
Oh man... :(

Hope things pick up for him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
744 Posts
David -

Great videos. I liked the pass (pretty agressive) and your reaction, also that looks really challnging to brake and then turn into what you guys are calling the river.

Aaron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I liked the pass (pretty agressive) and your reaction
Yeah, I was having the time of my life...pure "woop" for joy! I hope I get to do that some more in the near future.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top