Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today's featured guest at the Corvette Club of Michigan monthly meeting was Mr. John Juriga, Assistant Chief Engineer of V8 engines at GM Powertrain. John arrived in a Millennium Yellow '02 Z06 with VIN # 74, a complete '02 Z06 engine cutaway model, cutaway of the new I & E valves, power curve charts, and examples of the revised air filter housing!

Of course, the ole Zipster handed him one of Frank's cards, and invited him to check us out!

Gotta get some sleep.....leaving the house at 7am tomorrow to take a driving class at Waterford Hills Road Course. This should be great, because some of the instructors will be John Heinricy, Jeff Nowicki, Jim Minneker, and Danny Kellermeyer, all well established & respected Corvette racers!

Zippy /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
0 Posts
Very nice Zipster!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

Be sure to share with us a report about tomorrows events. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Did Mr. Juriga have anything to say about the HP/TQ ratings? Like maybe they are perhaps rather conservative? And did he go into the oil consumption issue and new rings fix for 2002 LS6? BTW, how did he fit the LS6 cutaway in the trunk of a Z06??? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Dang Zippy! The featured guest speaker at our meetings is someone like Ronald McDonald! You guys are lucky! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Continuation:

It sure was a pleasant surprise to have Mr Juriga speak at our club meeting last night! He brought samples of the new sodium filled valves, valve springs and showedus graphs of the '01 LS6 engine vs the '02, and another graph of the new cam for the '02 car. John also had an '01 and '02 air filter assembly and their is a noticeably larger opening on the '02 cover. One would not be able to see the enlarged center opening when installed on the car because of the front fascia covering it, but, if you reach up and under the fascia you would feel it. I asked him if the enlarged air box cover was interchangeable with the '01 and he proceeded to change covers as we watched.....yes, it is! I tried to find the p.n. for you guts who want to get more air into your engine, but it was not visible on the asssembled unit I examined.
One VERY IMPORTANT warning John advised us on was NOT to mix cam, valves, or valve springs between an '01 and '02 because they are a matched set!
John also raved about how you really START to feel the power as you run in the 3,600-4,000 rpm! As you run the engine from 4,000 to 6,000 r's you REALLY feel it (Wow, I'm going nuts here waiting for my new one)!
John also confirmed that the air straightener screen was removed from the inlet system on the '02 car.

I'm sure I forgot some other topics, and I apologize for it.....I just wanted to inform everyone on what I do remember.

Zippy /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

S

·
0 Posts
Yes, you can feel the power over 4k, I just scared my neighbor across the street giving him a ride... he thought he was going to have a heart attack... He's from Russia, so he doesn't know about American Muscle Cars...

He does now!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Zippy, that is just too cool. Would you mind e mailing me off line to discuss how we can possibly get anyone like that to come to one of our club meetings or functions.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Yes Zippy!! Thanks for the Updates with the BIG BOYS....../phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Won't be coming to Michigan after all(Les Stanford)....Campbell Chevy notified me today they got my MY Z06 coming!! Build week is 8/20!!
Zman.......

·
Registered
171 Posts

On 2001-07-26 21:09, Zippy said:
Continuation:

It sure was a pleasant surprise to have Mr Juriga speak at our club meeting last night! He brought samples of the new sodium filled valves, valve springs and showed us graphs of the '01 LS6 engine vs the '02, and another graph of the new cam for the '02 car. John also had an '01 and '02 air filter assembly and their is a noticeably larger opening on the '02 cover.
If you want to read more and see images of the stuff Zippy talks about, look at http://www.c5registry.com/2k2z06/

One VERY IMPORTANT warning John advised us on was NOT to mix cam, valves, or valve springs between an '01 and '02 because they are a matched set!
The reasons for this are 1) the 02 cam has a smaller base circle and requires the 02 valves which are longer 2) the more aggressive 02 cam profile will have the engine in valve float at about 6200 rpm (400 before the rev limiter) *if* the lighter, hollow-stem valves and the stiffer valve springs are not used.

John also raved about how you really START to feel the power as you run in the 3,600-4,000 rpm! As you run the engine from 4,000 to 6,000 r's you REALLY feel it (Wow, I'm going nuts here waiting for my new one)!
John also confirmed that the air straightener screen was removed from the inlet system on the '02 car.
Yep.
Wait until you drive it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts