Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The STOCK shifter has got to go.........................:mad:

Everytime (nearly), I get a clear shot at running through the gears, up to 6000-6300, and get to the 2nd to 3rd shift........the D*&% thing wants to bypass 3rd, and go into 5th!!!!!!!!!!

So, as you know, you just shut er' down, cause you're screwed.........

I know the Ripper is a very popular choice, and I have heard the HURST is going to be better.............IF it ever GET's here...........
This problem is so aggravating, that I don't even want to try it anymore.........:(

Has anyone else had this problem??.

Couple that with the ever present DANGER of a 3rd to 2nd............at redline, and I think the extra mod is MORE than worth it............:eek:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Brother, throw that damn stock shifter in the trash!! It doesn't make any difference which one you get, just lose the stocker!!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
My sentiments exactly, get rid of the stocker.

On another note, I've never done 2-5...??? Hopefully a Ripper/Hurst will aleviate this foul tendency you have ;)

Have you ever driven a Ripper? If not, let me know, maybe we can meet up and you can spin mine around the block a few times...:cheers:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Agreed, get rid of that shifter. I went with the B&M and it is night and day. I too had a few problems nailing a gear when it counted and with the B&M it hasn't happened since!. It is alot shorter throw, positive gear changes but a little noisier than stock. I would do it the same way all over again.

If you go with the B&M and the Hurst comes out and everybody is raving about it, you can always sell the B&M on eBay and not take a huge hit.:D

Good luck!

Paul

·
Registered
991 Posts
Interesting thread

This is very interesting to me. I also have missed 2 to 3 shift a couple of times :mad: Are there any big advantages to one brand over the other in mod shifters? For those of you who have a mod shifter is it trouble free and smooth? What is supposed to be better about the Hurst? Thanks :z:

·
Registered
0 Posts
I really love my Ripper!! Purchased it from RG at Exit 28 over a year ago and have NEVER missed a shift since. I highly recommend it!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I picked up my B&M through RG at Exit 28 as well. The install is only about an hour and it is worth it. The shifter takes a little more strength to move around but there is no question when you are in gear or when you aren't all the way there. I should also mention the height of the shifter is a tad shorter as well, maybe a half inch or so. Like I said before, the only minor disadvantage is that there is a bit more gearbox noise through the shifter.

From what I have read, the Kirban is a very comparable to the B&M. As far as the Hurst is concerned, I don't know much about it but I am sure it will be comparable to the B&M and Kirban. It comes down to personal preference and the recommendations of similar drivers with similar problems I guess.

Any one of the three will benefit you greatly. It is the missing link in the Z06.

Good luck!!!:)

Paul

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
I have a very special.............................

Kirban in my Z06. FRC TOM installed a cut down and well lubed version of the Kirban shifter so the Hardbar shift knob sits nice and low. A very AWESOME combo! This shifter combo ROCKS!!!!!!!!!! Fubu/Les

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
What Kills Me Is, That GM offers a Hurst shifter as an option in the Z28 and T/A ,but they go ahead and put a POS shifter in their Flagship performance car , the Z06:(

carzzy

·
Registered
991 Posts
It sounds like the installation is not that bad either. For those of you did the install yourself was it as simple as it is advertised to be? I just sent an email to Exit 28 for info.
Thanks
Jim:guiness:

·
Registered
298 Posts
It is pretty simple, just take your time with the console pieces so they don't get scratched. The toughest part is the shift knob, getting that T-shaped plug out is bitch. Once you pry the shift pattern piece out with a small screw driver, lock some small vice grips onto the plug. Pry it up with a long screw driver using a piece of wood for leverage. The wood should be placed right on top of the shift knob so it will be protected from the prying screw driver. It is pretty easy to pull real hard and smack yourself square in the face with it so be careful. I used a friend to hold the vice grips/pliers in place and pryed it up myself, it is alot easier with a friend but is possible without help.

Other than that, the install instructions are pretty simple.

Best of luck! It's worth it!

Paul

·
Registered
991 Posts
Thanks Paul, sounds good. I don't mind the stock shifter except I have now missed the 2-3 twice, BAD news:puke: We will give Exit 28 and UPS something to do this week. :D

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
carzzy said:
What Kills Me Is, That GM offers a Hurst shifter as an option in the Z28 and T/A ,but they go ahead and put a POS shifter in their Flagship performance car , the Z06:(

carzzy
Don't kid yourself, the Hurst that makes its way into the fbody's in St. Therese is a POS also... :p

·
Registered
575 Posts
Missed a couple of 2nd to 3rd's myself. Got a Kirban and it works great. No more missed shifts and this shifter works great! Got 4 other buddies up this way that tried mine and they've put them in their ZO6's too.
Bob

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all

When i first got my car, I kinda liked the stock shifter.....
It had been MANY years since I had a manual anything..........
This, since has passed........with the break in period now well behind me, I have had a lot more occasions to use the shifter in the manner it should shine in......well, for me it hasn't.
The 2nd to 3rd, wanting to get kinda trapped between 3rd & 5th, is a boogabear..........
As you all know, the shifter AUTOMATICALLY goes from 5th & 6th, to mid position, which is 3rd to 4th..........detent wise.
Why, How, it wants to go to 5th, from 2nd is probably MY fault, but a shifter should NOT have to be coddled to go where it's sposed to go, when you want it to go..............
Either way, I hear the Kirban is for road racing, and the B & m is a stiff mother.......and the Hurst, is sposed to be adjustable.....
BUT, as LONG as it has taken them to get it on the market has got me a bit concerned.........delay's usually mean T_R_O_U_B_L_E....................

"WE SHALL SEE"

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hurst 1962 POS

In 1962 I bought a new 421 Pont. HD Cat. It had a factory Hurst. "POS". I had to rebuild it to make it work on the drag strip for me.
Never had a Hurst since and would not buy one unless someone I trusted said it was good.:guiness:

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Love my B&M Ripper. This knob made all the difference.Takes alot ot the stiffness out of the shifter,due to the tallness and added leverage.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts