Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed tires for the front of my 2016 Z06, and decided to go with the stock Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I bought the tires and took them in to be mounted and balanced. After 90 minutes of trying to seat the bead, they told me they couldn't get the bead to seat. The guy was nice enough to suggest another shop more familiar with performance tires. I went there and had the same problem. The owner told me he had seen this before with these tires, and though not frequent some of the tires seemed to be a little out of spec. The seller told me he had never heard of such a problem and told me that if I would drive them to his installer they would get it done. His installer worked the tires for two and a half hours before giving up.

I've got a new set of tires being shipped Monday so I'll see if they're better. I was told by one of the installers that Michelin is aware of the problem but will not acknowledge it as it is infrequent.

More to follow.

·
21,295 Posts
I needed tires for the front of my 2016 Z06, and decided to go with the stock Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I bought the tires and took them in to be mounted and balanced. After 90 minutes of trying to seat the bead, they told me they couldn't get the bead to seat. The guy was nice enough to suggest another shop more familiar with performance tires. I went there and had the same problem. The owner told me he had seen this before with these tires, and though not frequent some of the tires seemed to be a little out of spec. The seller told me he had never heard of such a problem and told me that if I would drive them to his installer they would get it done. His installer worked the tires for two and a half hours before giving up.

I've got a new set of tires being shipped Monday so I'll see if they're better. I was told by one of the installers that Michelin is aware of the problem but will not acknowledge it as it is infrequent.

More to follow.
Thanks for the heads-up. I have never heard of such a problem with the pilot sports.

·
20,625 Posts
When I replaced the runcraps on my 06, I had TR ship Pilot SS's to Pat Goss's garage for installment. After install, he said the right front was out of spec. And wanted to know if he should ship back to TR and get a new one. I asked him how out of spec it was. He told me he had it up to 90 and it was fine. So I trusted him and said to keep the tire on. It was fine for the driving I did. But the out of spec tires happens, but hopefully it will be rectified.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the replacement tires today and Tire Pros worked on one for three hours before giving up. Does anyone know of a tire shop in Las Vegas that might be able to handle an install? I don't think it could still be the tires, there must be some special technique.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts