Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone know the limiting age of Michelin tires (P275/35ZR-18 Pilot Sport PS2 ZP run flats)? I was told that my front tires are 8 years old (even though the tread is ok) and that their age was at a danger point. I bought them for my 2009 C6 Z06 and had them installed new in May of 2016. So, they were (unknowingly) 4 years old when I ordered them from TireRack. Drat - I was too much a newbie to check the dates when they arrived and were installed.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Have you checked the date codes on the sides of the tires to verify that they are indeed 8 years old?
I have read that you should consider replacing tires after they are 8 years old and definitely replace them by time they are 10 years old.
I still have the original Goodyears on my '13 and they are now 8.5 years old (DOT 15/12) and I am starting to get more serious about replacing them. I am sure you can tell even though you have plenty of tread left, the rubber starts to get hard and lose grip. The only reason I haven't replaced mine is because I still have some tread (3/32's) left. I know by spring next year I am going to have to do it, and will probably realize when I get the new tires that I should have done it a long time ago.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bruno...

Date on the fronts is 4/9/14. Date on the rears is 1/7/16.

I would like to read up on the suggested life if you have the source. What concerns me is that the retailer sold me tires that were already 4 years old. I am trying to determine if there is a regulated sell-by date or if it is just buyer beware.
These are extremely expensive tires. If the retailers can do this... we need to warn the Corvette community that they need to check the born dates on their tires before paying for them and mounting them unless I am the only one out of the loop on this subject.

Thanks again

·
Registered
235 Posts
I just Googled "how long will tires last" and the first reference that comes up is an article from Car and Driver dated 9/4/2017.

As for a "regulated sell by date" I am not aware of any federal law that governs the sale of tires by age. I think it is caveat emptor thing. Obviously if you bought expired tires then warrants of merchantability would apply, but the tires you bought still had 2-4 years of life left by age so they could argue you were planning on tracking the car, and the tires were only going to last one track season. I know that sounds lame but I don't think you have any recourse.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup ... I am right where you are. I don't think there is a thing I can do about it except let others know they need to check the dates on the tires before purchasing them. I will certainly be doing this as I move on.

Thanks

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,832 Posts
Due to Firestone ill design, quality and Ford having rollovers from them the federal law was made that tires cannot be older then 6 years from the date code of when tires were made

Add to problems the wider and sportier the tires are the less of them are sold and tire makers make them in a large batch and now they can sit for years before being even sold
Some tire sellers like Tire Rack to reduce their costs buy older date codes and then sell as brand new.

Always looks at the build code of new tires on side walls and tell whoever your buying from that you will not accept new tires with older date codes

Some race groups will fail a vehicle when tech inspected when tires are 1 year or maybe more depending on the speed of that type of race.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks "racingvette". Is there a failure mode to watch out for like rim leaks, stem leaks, discoloration, etc that is a key indicatator the tires are over age?

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,832 Posts
Other then treadwear depth, less traction, other clues can be if tire has become harder and check for cracks in sidewalls along with what you mentioned

1 - 10 of 10 Posts