Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, the Keyhole area is a neat place to watch but I always have preferred the grandstands over coming down out of there into the carosel or the grass area that is aroudn the carosel as well.

As far as bars and such... there's one place on your way there but I can't remember the name. It's a sports/racing themed place. The track is out of the way thru a residential area and into farms and stuff, so there's nothing really AT the track area.

They have decent consessions there as well.

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
As far as bars and such... there's one place on your way there but I can't remember the name. It's a sports/racing themed place. The track is out of the way thru a residential area and into farms and stuff, so there's nothing really AT the track area.

They have decent consessions there as well.
I think your talking about Buck's on Main St in Lexington. They had pretty good chow for a bar.

There really isn't much "right there". I stayed in Bellville this summer at the Quality Inn. It wasn't a pleasant stay, but there is an Amish buffet next to it that is really good.

Most of the nearby chow etc is on N. Lexington Springmill Rd in Mansfield.

·
Registered
25 Posts
YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Buck's!

Be ready for traffic after the events too...so fill up on the way there. Like I said, it's residential and 2 years ago, it took me 45 mins to get from the track to the main road out of town.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think the steak place he is talking about is the Brown Derby up 314 in Ontario Ohio. Saturday night will be packed about everywhere. My favorite is to watch from the top of the esses at the end of the back straight but I never stay at any one spot too long. Mid Ohio is good for walking from point to point in the infield with numerous good vantage points. I just wish they would not have taken up the entire front stretch with corporate tents. Got to make the pit tour too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I work on the banner crew up there on race weekends. I mostly do it for the novelty of running around the track in my vettes...even if it is usually at slow speeds.

There really isn't a bad spot. I like to take folding chairs and sit in the esses. Lots of action there if you like to compare how stable the cars are under heavy breaking and the occasional off. That crane in there gets a lot of work for ALMS and IRL. :)

Be sure to check out the pits if you get a pass for that. Last year the wife and I got in there right when both vettes came in for back-to-back stops...it was awesome.

We park in the in-field but...I get a pass of that too..not sure if they sell them to the public. There are always a lot of cars in there.

While at the race...if you get hungry...you gotta get what we call 'track pizza'. The local Donatos comes in and serves a pie unlike anything they sell normally. I don't know why they don't serve this product in their delivery business. A guy at the track says it is better because of the time it takes for them to get the un-baked pies to the track and then the old-fashioned pizza ovens they use on-site. I guess Donatos uses some other type in their stores. All I know is that it rocks.

Keep in mind...like others have said...the track is in the middle of NOWHERE. Really. Amish farm country. I live in Sunbury, so, I don't stick around to eat/drink near the track. Bucks looks like a party but I can imagine how busy it gets. That steak place on 71 is gone. I can't recommend anything else around there.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, should be a good time. 1 yr anniversary of the GT1 vette. Time to start winning!

·
Registered
25 Posts
last time I was @ the track an event "paddock pass" was $15 and that got you everywhere but IN the garages and into the pit areas. Keep in mind that if you get the PIT pass, you'll need long sleeve pants and closed-toe shoes.

Got to meet alot of the CR guys when hanging around the garages. I was 2 feet from Dave Hill and didn't recognize him until he opened his mouth, and then he got swarmed...lol

it's a great event! Have fun.

Let's hope that M-O can be the start of an upswing in CR's fortunes.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome track. Awerace. Gavin was flying. So close to a win...I say it was an upswing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't mean to be a hater here but...well, maybe I do....does anyone else think those GT3 Cup cars are the most un-sexy, Prius-quiet, track-clogging bunch of rolling billboards ever to pollute an organized racing event? I mean, like, the Jaguar entry in GT is obviously still under development and a bit of a rolling chicane. But it looks/sounds hot and you know they are doing everything they can to get it up in the pack. But those GTC cars are just a Porsche ad at the expense of our race viewing pleasure.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't mean to be a hater here but...well, maybe I do....does anyone else think those GT3 Cup cars are the most un-sexy, Prius-quiet, track-clogging bunch of rolling billboards ever to pollute an organized racing event? I mean, like, the Jaguar entry in GT is obviously still under development and a bit of a rolling chicane. But it looks/sounds hot and you know they are doing everything they can to get it up in the pack. But those GTC cars are just a Porsche ad at the expense of our race viewing pleasure.
Lets be real. The GT3s are amazing cars. You certainly don't get the bang for your buck you get in a Corvette, but when you are talking racing, its expensive for everybody. You have to respect the fact that Porsche GT race cars are made by Porsche at the same factory where they make street Porsches. Every other GT race car is a tube frame with sheet metal added.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Fair enough when you take in the big picture like that.

Hey! just noticed the bike in your sig. Awesome. My brother had one of those. I had a Sears Spyder with chrome fenders, ape-hangers and a big fat drag tire out back! Think I could rubber-band some playing cards to the spokes of my Z06?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well my dad and I drove about 2000 miles round trip to midohio via the UP of Michigan and around Lake Michigan - to avoid Chicago... No tickets the entire trip. His 3LT C6 is a sweet ride. I like the cushy ride. The more I drove it the more I realized how much more track oriented the Z is. The C6 is an awesome touring car. 500+ miles per tank. True 28mpg in spirited hwy driving. Enough ride height to not make you freak at every railroad crossing. The AT and paddles was fun, but I'd only recommend it to someone like my dad - 70+yo and a total hip! He loves it. I didn't like the auto mode, but the paddles were OK. Not as smooth as it should be, but often times perfect shifts.

MidOhio is really nice. I'd love to track my car there. Esses are really sweet to watch at, although pretty crouded on IZOD day, ALMS was OK. There are even more BIG people at MidOhio as at Road America (to which I compare all courses)... Just an observation...

Brief comparison to Raod America:
viewing track - MidOhio, Esses better than anything I've seen. Including the hill at turn 5 RA.
food - RA no comparo. Breakfast brats, brats, corn, burgers...versus Dominos pizza. Cheez heads have this one locked up.
Night life - RA. Elkhart lake has stepped it up even though Siebkins alone is better than anything at Ohio... But this is not why we go to the races, unless it's vintage cars at RA, that's totally a nice weekend in the town of Elkhart Lake.
Track for drivers...Toss up. How much HP do you have? MO has better turns, but RA is more like driving fast in the countryside. Both have too many strengths to compare, and I've never been on MO course. It is quite short c/t RA.
Hotels - tie. Do you want to be close to the track in a total rathole? MO. Nice pricey motel 30 miles from track? RA. In my brief experience.
Police - WI vs. OH. Tie, they both know how to give tickets ; ) Luckily none this trip.
Parking, RA by far. MO has not enough room for the croud. But it's not too bad. Corvette Coral at RA is free and couldn't be better. MO I think you pay, so I never sought it out. Pay to park with other Vettes? Sounds way to Porsche-like. Again, imho...

C6 base vette vs. Z06... You know the answer to that.

All in all a great weekend, awesome races (Vettes took 1st in first Challenge race - Way to go Crager team - second by seconds in the ALMS race, and ran a really nice race; and Crager team ran the fastest lap until slowing in the keyhole and giving up the lead, not sure why, didn't hear... A great overall showing for the Vettes.) and a really nice course run very well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Fair enough when you take in the big picture like that.

Hey! just noticed the bike in your sig. Awesome. My brother had one of those. I had a Sears Spyder with chrome fenders, ape-hangers and a big fat drag tire out back! Think I could rubber-band some playing cards to the spokes of my Z06?

Too Funny - maybe a baloon lightly inflated stuck in the wheel well would give off a cool sound.

I'd like to get a good deal on a Raleigh Chopper, which was the other "muscle bike" that I liked in the early seventies.

Oh, by the way, my Peapicker is a high end Stingray, which was named after the Corvette Stingray. Irony, my Z06 is a high end Corvette.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Zeta08 - I think it is 22 Aug next ALMS race at RA - and I was thinking about driving there - you may have convinced me this is one I want to go to.

Can you camp there? Are showers available etc? You spoke of the "S's" at MO - that is my favorite spot for pics - any suggestions for similar locations at RA? I am after some good pics! (No I am not a Pro-Photog - advanced but not pro. I am a DataBase Admin by prof so pretty handy with digital camera and software - just looking for some first hand experience and suggestions if I make the trip to RA.

Any help and/or suggestions would be appreciated - thanks

Mike Feeser

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Awesome. Camping can be done right across from the main gate or just down the road at a private camping spot (like KOA). I've never done the RA camping, but the privateer spot was fine with showers and such. That area has a lot of camping available nearby. I used to be big into photos.. Best place? Maybe turn 12, acute angle turn after long straight. Or maybe turn 5. I also like looking back on the track at turn 3 as they come down a hill...This also puts you at the Corral, at turn 3. I can't make it but absolutely would love to be there. The MO ALMS race was one of the best I've ever seen. The series is just so tight, it's in my opinion the best racing series in the world right now...Not that I know them all but WRC and F1 are boring in comparison.

I like the hill above turn 5 on the infield for a good race as you can see two parts of the track. Turn 3 is where I usually go as the food and cars are the best... The Kettle Moraine Corvette club runs the Corral, and it is really nice. GM usually has their stuff there on ALMS weekend for the last few years.

Let me know how it goes. I'll be watching on TV.

As per your prof... I'm sure you know the smartphones can keep you up on realtime track info . It's made trackside watching much more fun as I can never hear the announcer and usually I'm not near a screen.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts